Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please Help with Blood Test Results page

d2mini is offline Senior Member

Please Help with Blood Test Results

Shop Now
    Hi, I just got my results after being primal for over a year.

LAST YEAR
    Total Cholesterol 169
    HDL Cholesterol 56
    Triglycerides 57
    LDL Cholesterol 102

CHOL/HDLC Ratio 3.0
    Glucose 84

THIS YEAR
    Total Cholesterol 219 (marked high, out of range)
    HDL Cholesterol 59
    Triglycerides 69
    LDL Cholesterol 146 (marked high, out of range)

CHOL/HDLC Ratio 3.7
    Glucose 93

Doc said the LDL is just something to watch, but since everything else is so good, it's nothing to worry about at this time.

Thoughts? I don't see a pattern A/B on these results.
    Last edited by d2mini; 01-26-2012 at 04:59 PM. Reason: added last year's results
    -dennis

dado Guest
    you're good to go

tell the doctor to suck one

otzi Guest
    My fasting glucose is 93 also. When I was on the SAD and 75lbs overweight, it was 100-105. I figured it would go down to the 70's eating low carb, but that is not the case and apparently not cause for concern. Read more:

Why your
    One caveat here is that very low-carb diets will produce elevated fasting blood glucose levels. Why? Because low-carb diets induce insulin resistance. Restricting carbohydrates produces a natural drop in insulin levels, which in turn activates hormone sensitive lipase. Fat tissue is then broken down, and non-esterified fatty acids (a.k.a. “free fatty acids” or NEFA) are released into the bloodstream. These NEFA are taken up by the muscles, which use them as fuel. And since the muscle’s needs for fuel has been met, it decreases sensitivity to insulin. You can read more about this at Hyperlipid.

So, if you eat a low-carb diet and have borderline high FBG (i.e. 90-105), it may not be cause for concern. Your post-meal blood sugars and A1c levels are more important.

Ya, 93 is in range according to the results sheet. 56-99.
    -dennis

Danielle5690 is offline Senior Member
    Those numbers look pretty good. Your HDL could stand to be a little higher, but your trig number is awesome. I think I remember something about the calculation for LDL being wrong when trigs are below 80... so that may not be an accurate picture for you.

They don't automatically test for Pattern A/B LDL, you have to ask for it.

Thanks!
    Also, my blood pressure was 122/68 and pulse was 74.
    -dennis

js290 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by d2mini View Post
    Hi, I just got my results after being primal for over a year.

I don't have my previous blood test results on me, so I'll post those later, but here are the current ones. Please let me know what other info is needed. Here's the basics...

Total Cholesterol 219 (marked high, out of range)
    HDL Cholesterol 59
    Triglycerides 69
    LDL Cholesterol 146 (marked high, out of range)

Quote Originally Posted by d2mini View Post
    CHOL/HDLC Ratio 3.7
    Glucose 93
    How to Lower Your Blood Sugar
    What is a Normal Blood Sugar?

Yup, I saw that video in the other thread.
    I asked for the particle size test but I'm wondering if my insurance didn't cover it so they didn't do it.
    Waiting to hear back from my doc.

As far as the glucose (after an 11 hour fast), according to my results it's within range.
    But that link says it may be a sign of later diabetes? Huh???!!
    Should I be worried about this?
    -dennis

Snauzoo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    My fasting glucose is 93 also. When I was on the SAD and 75lbs overweight, it was 100-105. I figured it would go down to the 70's eating low carb, but that is not the case and apparently not cause for concern. Read more:

Why your
    One caveat here is that very low-carb diets will produce elevated fasting blood glucose levels. Why? Because low-carb diets induce insulin resistance. Restricting carbohydrates produces a natural drop in insulin levels, which in turn activates hormone sensitive lipase. Fat tissue is then broken down, and non-esterified fatty acids (a.k.a. “free fatty acids” or NEFA) are released into the bloodstream. These NEFA are taken up by the muscles, which use them as fuel. And since the muscle’s needs for fuel has been met, it decreases sensitivity to insulin. You can read more about this at Hyperlipid.

So, if you eat a low-carb diet and have borderline high FBG (i.e. 90-105), it may not be cause for concern. Your post-meal blood sugars and A1c levels are more important.
    Otzi, glad you posted that. Apology to OP for hijacking but it may be relevant. I am scheduled for another round of tests, including fasting glucose and insulin plus a VAP and a boatload of other stuff. My last results were skewed due to being really low carb at the time.

Wondering if there is an optimal meal plan for a period of time, like adding in some fruit or sweet potatoes to get rid of this rediculous high LDL. Right now I am averaging one fruit a day maybe less. LDL was 260 (193 Iranian). Still got the statin lecture. B/P high and waist hip ratio borderline. I have a new doc, who gets this way of eating, and applauded me for doing it, but still is concerned about the LDL. could be he is just doing his job, since he agreed that without a VAP we are just working blindfolded.

I just added last year's results to the first post.

I dunno... seems kinda worse to me this year?
    Hard to tell without particle size I guess.
    -dennis

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast