Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Primal Footwear for Sports page 2

federkeil is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by gated312 View Post
    Thanks for the feedback thus far. especially the links and suggestions on cleats. I guess with regards to volleyball I still have two concerns. first, I wear ankle braces primarily because I'm not too keen on rolling an ankle. (I'm probably more paranoid about this because a buddy of mine just dislocated his ankle playing about 3 weeks ago, real mess) I guess this worry is either one way or the other though - be more careful and wear the vibrams, or suck it up and wear the shoes - can't have it both ways really. second, what federkeil said about landings being forceful is very true. I play for roughly two hours straight and have had knee problems in the past. I'm not trying to be stubborn or anything, just trying to make this work best is all.
    If you're worried about rolling/spraining/dislocating an ankle while wearing vibrams.... don't.

The main reason people roll their ankles is because that nice big blocky heel on the shoe catches on something, then your body weight takes care of the rest. Same reason my ankles kill if I wear normal shoes on an airplane and lean them sideways like I would sans shoes.
    I didn't like the rules you gave me, so I made some of my own.

Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and more useful in general. - Mark Rippetoe

mthornton99 is offline Junior Member
    I bought a pair of Merrell True Gloves over the summer and really like them. They are very minimalist type shoes with Vibram soles. They are advertised and barefoot alternative and work great, but I suggest a short break in period in which you wear thin socks to avoid heel blisters. About the same price as FiveFingers.

>>>>>--------------->

unsuperb is offline Senior Member
    There's no way in hell I would play rugby in my vibrams. I suppose you could get away with it if you're playing sevens, but otherwise, I do not want to pit my feet against steel cleats. That's just asking for broken toes.

I do not think it matters that much to wear traditional footwear during the times you partake in either of your athletic endeavours.

adameads is offline Senior Member
    Any golf shoes?

Quote Originally Posted by adameads View Post
    Any golf shoes?
    I've seen minimalist golf shoes, but don't remember the name. They were also expensive. I'd rather just play in Vibram Trek's or Trek Sport's. They have the nubs on the bottom for grip.

Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and more useful in general. - Mark Rippetoe

gcbcb is offline Member
    Yeah, I've also been trying to figure out what sort of minimalist shoes to get. Vibrams are fine in the summer, but for 6 months of the year a bit of insulation would be really nice. I (have to) spend a lot of time walking through snowy grass, so anything too barefoot is out. A bit of water resistance would be nice too.

Wore my Vibram Komodo's on the indoor soccer field (felt) for ultimate yesterday, worked great, they were actually better than the shoes I was wearing before.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12