Thread: your toxic load page

thaijinx is offline Senior Member

your toxic load

Does anyone else wonder... just how much chemical residue we carry around in our cells and tissue after a lifetime's exposure to adulterated food, contaminated air and water, and other environmental factors?

When I think about what I've been exposed to knowingly; crop spraying as a kid, toxic 'nit' treatments in my hair, even flea and tick shampoos and sprays for my pets, bug sprays in my home, chemical mosquito coils, and unknowingly... in everything else, it makes me shudder when I think about it.

I wish there was some way of knowing just how much my chemical load is (just out of curiosity).

Is there anyway of testing? And does anyone know of any legitimate ways to 'detox' the body? Would you do enemas or fasting for example?

lexie is offline Senior Member
    I know cilantro can help you chelate heavy metals. Not sure if it helps with other toxins.

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    Actually except for mercury, lead (heavy metals) and a few other chemicals, your body naturally flushes out just about every nasty thing you put in it - that's why the liver is the largest and coolest organ. Detoxing, cleansing, putting water up your butt, doesn't have much of a scientific basis.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

JennaRose is offline Senior Member
    ya, cilantro is great for that. if you ever have fruit smoothies, throw some cilantro in there, it adds a lot to the flavor, it's just delicious

i've heard the gerson therapy technique of coffee enemas helping to cleanse the liver of toxins. for some reason, when you put coffee in your butt, it causes the liver to purge like crazy. they were mostly using that for people dying with cancer, though.

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Interesting question, OP.

The following article has some useful info and refers to results of a study which found various toxins in human fat tissue in 1982 and 1987. Four industrial solvents and one dioxin were found in 100% of the fat samples.

Detoxification During Weight Loss | Weight Loss News

I'm not testing but am drinking plenty of green tea and herbal teas for detoxing, as some symptoms of mercury poisoning - which disappeared after I got my amalgam fillings replaced - did return with a few weeks of rapid fat loss at around 2lb a week, e.g. swollen abdomen, feet and hands, and rhinitis.

If you're concerned about toxins then it's best to aim for slow fat loss at 1-4 lbs a month. That's what I'm doing and my liver seems to be coping well with that.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    I live in California where state law requires mattresses to contain fire retardants. I sleep in a bed of toxins every night. All I can hope for is that one day the amount of toxins we are all exposed to reaches a level where we can no longer pretend that individuals can fix the problem by themselves, and that as a society we'll agree to stop putting such toxins into the environment in the first place, profits be damned. This will happen long after I'm dead, if at all.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

lexie is offline Senior Member
    What about a mattress protector, sbhikes? There are some meant to encase a mattress entirely (I guess because of bedbugs/moving?) - that could perhaps offer some protection from the toxins, if you could find one that wasn't made out of toxins itself.

Issabeau is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I live in California where state law requires mattresses to contain fire retardants. I sleep in a bed of toxins every night. All I can hope for is that one day the amount of toxins we are all exposed to reaches a level where we can no longer pretend that individuals can fix the problem by themselves, and that as a society we'll agree to stop putting such toxins into the environment in the first place, profits be damned. This will happen long after I'm dead, if at all.
    Everything made in China that's made out of synthetics (polyester, nylon, many more) are sprayed with fire retardents. This chemical is absorbed into the blood stream. Childrens PJ's NOT made out of cotton are ALL sprayed with this chemical. It is highly carcinogenic (cancer causing).
    I don't buy anything anymore that is made in China.
    One of the books was called Poorly made in China http://www.amazon.com/Poorly-Made-Ch...7602636&sr=8-1

Edit: Have to add: Don't buy lotions, cosmetics or shampoos etc made in china...the book will reveal why, it is scary - not to mention disgusting!