Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What really works? page

back2basix is offline Member

What really works?

Primal Fuel
    I know--silly question! But honestly--what are your tried and true tips for making PB lifestyle work for you? I'm rather new--LOVING it--and just really working on incorporating PB into my life and my family. So what are your best tried and true LOVES for PB, your favorite meals/snacks, what about your favorite tip for shedding a few lbs. QUICK (we all have a special event coming up sometime and need a little extra boost!). I've been all over the forums--LOVE this site. Not a big fan of Robb Wolf's site--people don't participate much. Any other really great resources besides the book?

TIA!
    Sharon

touchdowntodd is offline Senior Member
    ill chime in :0)

for losing weight:

no nuts, dairy, no sugars, low fruits (and only berries if you must)... high fat (60-70% calories from fat) ... high protien/fat breakfast within 30 minutes of waking.. no eating after 6 .. only water for liquids ... nice clean food ... and it tastes GREAT ... and get some rest .. be in bed at 10-11 ... wake up early and enjoy the day ... get some walking in when possible

favorite meals:

breakfast ... hmmm... 2-3 eggs, some form of meat (uncured bacon, sausage, hamburger patty, etc)

lunch ... 1/3 - 1/2lb meat of some sort (pork chop, beef/pork roast, hamburger patty, steak, chicken) .. veggie in coconut oil (carrot, broccoli, greens)

dinner ... oddly enough only 2-3 times a week for me, and mostly because the wife is hungry LOL .. but about the same as lunch .. FAVORITE dinner by far is a roasted chicken ... season under skin, coat skin in bacon grease and lightly season ... 425 for 20 minutes, 400 for 40 minutes .. YUMMY .. no veggies needed that day LOL

*** i dont cut any fat, i eat things how god made em .. i cant afford organic everything or grass fed everything, but i do my best .. i buy from a local butcher and im planning on buying from a grass fed local farmer in the spring.. sometimes i eat just veggies, sometimes i dont eat! lol ... i always eat breakfast unless im just plain not hungry, and i dont eat again until i feel a true hunger .. i also watch closely for my body telling me im full .. right now its been 3 hours since breakfast (2.5 eggs (share with the wife), and 1/4lb pork sausage i seasoned myself cooked in bacon grease).. once you get passed the first few weeks the cravings drop away including sugar (my biggest battle) .. anyways, ill stop rambling ***
    Last edited by touchdowntodd; 01-26-2012 at 07:47 AM.
    started at 310 July 23rd 2011 ... workin and workin!

my journal - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread34980.html

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    I was working on this kind of thing just recently. http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread47055.html
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

BuffaloGrok is offline Senior Member
    @touchdowntodd....did you even read the primal blueprint??

Not sure I agree with most of this: There are other fruits that can be eaten and still lead to weight loss.

Also, IFing is proven to lose weight in participants, so advising to eat within 30 mins of waking is completely false. Same goes for no eating after 6pm...where did you pull that one from?

Liquids....feel free to drink water, coffee or tea (depending on your sensitivity)

Sleep...make sure you are getting 8 hours in a DARK room. No lights, blackberries put away, etc and you will wake up when you need to
    My Leangains Journey

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.

BuffaloGrok is offline Senior Member
    Basix....what are your goals in moving to a primal way of life? Are you trying to lose weight or just be more healthy day to day?

Quote Originally Posted by BuffaloGrok View Post
    @touchdowntodd....did you even read the primal blueprint??

Not sure I agree with most of this: There are other fruits that can be eaten and still lead to weight loss.

Also, IFing is proven to lose weight in participants, so advising to eat within 30 mins of waking is completely false. Same goes for no eating after 6pm...where did you pull that one from?

Liquids....feel free to drink water, coffee or tea (depending on your sensitivity)

Sleep...make sure you are getting 8 hours in a DARK room. No lights, blackberries put away, etc and you will wake up when you need to
    reply:

yup ... but the poster asked what worked for us individually (at least how i took it), and my weight loss stops if i have fruits of any kind .. IF'ing works for some and doesnt for others .. i appreciate that its been proven, but not 100% of the time .. my losses slowed and even stopped when i went to traditional IFing as did my wifes and some friends .. as far as times of eating, its a stolen idea from the leptin reset (not that i truly believe in the reset itself), and it worked WONDERS for me as far as how i feel, and boosting my weight loss even now when im fighting the last 15-20lbs ... i saw significant improvement in sleep, weight loss, and energy levels when switching to this .. it simply cant be said that IFing needs to be in the morning, for me i feel best with a large protien breakfast, no ways around that

as requested by the op, im just sharing what works great for me in this .. and it would be hard to argue anythign i do isnt primal ... perhaps i will go back to occasional fruits or nuts once im at goal weight or near, but for now it stops weight loss like a brick wall, and there for is not worth it for me ..

i do apologize, but i cant see where anything i said goes against the book (not that i believe for 1 second the book should be viewed as the bible as some do because we have to find our own paths) ... i live primal, but i live a version of it that is slightly more strict .. im more in favor of fat from meats than the fats in nuts, i do better avoiding the natural sugars in fruits, and those things combined have helped me to have such a massive weight loss in such a short time, only having added mild excercise recently ..

again YMMV
    Last edited by touchdowntodd; 01-26-2012 at 09:06 AM.

ps - to further discuss, not eating from 5-6pm until 7-8am each day is a 13-15 hour fast on a daily basis .. just sayin .. no set times that we NEED fast ... in fact id argue for me and for many fasting from afternoon to morning is easier on our bodies and energy levels throught the day

back2basix is offline Member
    My initial goal was to lose weight--I have about 45lbs. to lose. My goal now, because I discovered so very quickly how good I felt, is to feel better and to feed myself and my family better. I've lost 8lbs. or better---not sure since I stopped weighing myself. But damn do I feel FANTASTIC!!

thats the point .. get healthier, feel better .. figure out your version of the way of life ..

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    If I said that eating 2-3 fruits a day, homemade buckwheat pancakes with maple syrup for breakfast about 3 times a week, plain yogurt with molasses, getting rid of bacon and avocados, and eating my main meal around noon and little to nothing until breakfast the next day "really worked," I'd probably get kicked off this forum. So it's a good thing I'm not saying that. Or am I? If I were saying that, I'd have to add the caveat that it might not work for you. Then I'd also add, "But it sure is delicious."
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast