Thread: Primal Journal - The Rookie page

the rookie is offline Junior Member

Primal Journal - The Rookie

Primal Journey Journal - the beginning.....

Kia Ora,

My name is Anna, I am a 21-year old environmental science + anthropology student, living in Wellington, New Zealand.

I apologise in advance I am no literary genius or comedian, nor particularly schooled up about the primal life, but I aim to be honest, share what I learn, and generally participate in a pretty cool community.

So, a bit about me and what I aim to achieve with primal living:
    I am lucky, I love life, and my life is good, the only thing holding me back is my own mentality. This is what I hope to change. Let me explain.
    I have been interested in nutrition and exercise for a few years now, my interest being sparked in my teenage years. However, the predominant reason for my initial interest was unhealthy, forming an obsession that completely dominated my being for several years causing me to drop weight dramatically. I was on self-destruct mode, blinded by my own selfish decisions I could not see the impact it was also having on those surrounding me.
    Fortunately, I am out of that dark space, but my relationship with food is still unsettled. It is like my body is still recovering from several years of starvation and now just wants food all the time.
    I guess the world “balance” sums up my main goal. I want to move away from obsessing about not eating food and away from obsessing about eating food, too just simply eating.

Aside from this, I think the Primal blueprint as outlined by Mark Sisson is honourable, and is moving us back to a lifestyle which should not be the unique but the norm.

Being a naturally energetic person I have an absolute love of movement. So, I generally train Brazilian jiu-Jitsu 4x a week, Muay thai once or twice, have several big stretch sessions a week, walk everyday, do some circuit/strength training 2-3x a week, generally throw a sprint session in there, maybe a swim or a jog at the end of the week as well, then in between that I am always keen for a game of something or an adventure.

A couple of my other guiltily slightly more superficial goals are as follows:
    Sit at < 60kg – this would allow me to go into competitions for jiu-jitsu only having to cut 1kg rather than several.
    Sit at 18-20% body fat
    Be able to do 10x pull-ups from ea grip – and work to be able to do muscle-ups
    I have various other training related goals which will truly bore you, so I will stop.

My Stats are as follows:
    Height: 166cm
    Weight: 66kg
    Current body fat % - ?? Work in progress
    Waist: 76cm
    Chest/bust: 95.5cm
    Hips: 66cm

If I achieve my weight loss goal and can sit at/below 60kg I have a pretty cool reward in mnd – a big back piece tattoo of a fern tree. So, with that in mind, I may as well begin.

I am unsure about photos – what do you guys think? A good incentive? Hell, why not...I will get on to that in the morning.
    Minimum I will try and post daily what I have eaten and exercise done, weekly measurements + photos (?), then whatever else pops into my head and flows through my fingers will I guess end up here too. I look forward to reading and discovering more about the primal way and myself through the process.

Any feedback, comments, questions, anything, encouragement, please feel free to leave it.

Grok on...hehe

Anna

BecomeYourDream is offline Senior Member
    Good stuff! I wish you the best of luck in your journey. You sound pretty bad ass so I think that you can do it. I bet you will feel better than ever eating according to this lifestyle. Definitely focus on being balanced. I have had the issue of getting too caught up in the food and being precise about everything to the point where it became more about the food than about my health. Keep it simple - eat the things on the primal list, eat when you are hungry, stop when you are full, and enjoy all of the benefits!! Good luck ! -BYD
    MY "GET AWESOMELY FIT AND HEALTHY" JOURNAL!

"Become Your Dream" - De La Vega

"“The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses - behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights.” - Muhammad Ali

Day 1 - A bit premature

So, day 1 is not yet over but seeing as I will be staying at my partner's place tonight I thought I would get in early and do this.

Firstly, BYD, thanks for the encouragement it is really appreciated. When you lay it out that simply the challenge is not so daunting. I am definitely on the primal buzz for long term health, I just need to keep that in mind - helps when you have a community to keep you on the right track. Thanks again.

So, Food for the day:
    Breakfast 10.00am - chopped banana, sprinkled with sesame seeds, a handul of almonds, tsp of ground linseed, Tbs of ground almond, mixed with melted (frozen) blueberries + coconut oil. Tsp of peanut butter to finish it off. Yum!! Felt good on it, full too.

Lunch 3.15pm - A bit of salad (mesculun, 1/2 avocado, handful of mung bean sprouts + a couple of slices of capsicum) topped with some beef mince cooked in a bolognese type sauce.
    Finished with a chunk of a muesli bar I made which was delicious (ingredients for muesli bar is jsut ground nuts, honey, cinnamon, dessicated coconut, coconut oil).

Post-training 8.30pm - Bit of a messy evening, so food took a back bench, so just ate an orange. But was still pretty damn full from lunch.

Activity for the day:
    Took my dog out for about an hour this morning before breakfast, walked along the coast in a howling southerly and torrential rain - summer at its best.
    Generally just walked around the city for several hours running errands, doing some shopping at Commonsense Organics etc.
    Brazilian Jiu-jitsu training 6.00pm-8.00pm officially, but will be doing some light stretching, movement exercises, and balance training from about 5.00pm. Cannot wait!!

Photos to come - sorry the day ran away on me.

Cheers,
    A

Lex26 is offline Senior Member
    It is amazing how much easier it is to stay on track when you write in a primal journal, huh? I find it therapeutic too because if I just let my own brain tell the weight loss story, it never ends well because of all these other botched attempts. When I put the story out here, though, it seems like a much different story that will have a much different ending.
    Starting weight: 225
    Current weight: 195
    Goal: One pull-up by December 31, 2012
    Method: Schwarzbein Principle II, program for insulin sensitive/burned-out adrenals
    My Primal Journey

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Day 2 + 3 Primal Journal

Kia Ora,

Apologies for being slack already and missing a daily post already - but hell, I cannot change it now. So, will cover the past couple of days now.

Lex26 - My God you are so right. Posting the journey is not only interesting, but makes you feel like you are participating in a community. THis sends off a cool buzz which really gives you the impetus needed to keep on track.
    Best of luck on your journey - I hope the ending is the one you dream of.

Do you ever wake up and realise how good you got it? I had that moment yesterday, and the feeling has stuck with me as I feel energetic, and generally just pretty excited about life. A far change from the feeling of boredom I felt just a couple of days back.

So, Saturday (Day 2) - The day started and ended in a pretty similar way, talking to my partner while lying in his arms in bed - damn good.
    Breakfast 09.00am - Omelette w a few veges and 1/2 an (small) avocado.
    Went for a walk for about 1.5hrs up Mt Victoria to get a fantastic look over Wellington City before training.
    Primary training for the day was an epic MMA class from 12pm-2pm.
    After doing some grocery shopping and searching for coins to catch the bus, I got home and had a munch (had a quick snack on the bus of a handful of ham).
    Lunch 3.30pm - Banana, grd almonds, handful of almonds + sprinkling of sunflower seeds, blueberries + yoghurt. Finished w a bite size plum.
    Wandered over to the beach to clear my thoughts and have a "refreshing" ie cold, swim and had a nice afternoon catching up with my brother.
    Cooked a relatively delicious fish curry for dinner from scratch - so just fish, a few veges, coconut milk, chilli and other various herbs + spices.

Damn good day, good training, good food, and good company - could not ask for much more than that.

Day 3 - Sunday 29th January

Food:
    Breakfast 10.00am - Smoothie: banana, raw egg, Tbs cocoa, Tbs coconut oil, Tbs Ground almonds, 2 brazil nuts, 1/2 tsp spirulina, some frozen blueberries, and a dash of coconut water for liquid.

Bite sized plum at 1.00pm - before going out for a 3hr walk with my dog and bro along the coast. Saw some cheeky nudists on the beach - this is the definition of getting adaquete sunlight.

Lunch 4.00pm - Leftover fish curry

Dinner 8.30pm - Wild pork stew + steamed broccli+ roast veges (kumara, zucchini, and eggplant). Dessert of 2x squares dark chocolate. Outrageously satisfied.

To anyone interested - ate dinner while watching the documentary Food Inc, a pretty terrifying reality of the food industry.

have a good day all!!

BecomeYourDream is offline Senior Member
    Ha! I watched Food Inc last year on my 30 day challenge. It is pretty unbelievable the condition of the food industry. Glad you are feeling so great about everything these days! That is a great feeling to have when you wake up feeling unbelievable, rested, and healthy. Keep it up! : )
    MY "GET AWESOMELY FIT AND HEALTHY" JOURNAL!

"Become Your Dream" - De La Vega

"“The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses - behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights.” - Muhammad Ali

Day 4 + Day 5

Day 4 - Monday
    Wow I am terrible at doing tis on a daily basis - but oh well.
    So yesterday, had a choice strength training session in the morning:
    10mins cycling to warmup,
    3 sets of ea of the below
    Superset explosive step-ups w twist x 20reps (w 2kg medicine ball) + parallel grips pull-ups (6reps, 5 reps, 4 reps)
    Superset assisted dips x 5reps, 4 reps, 4 reps (level 3, 25lbs assisted) + DB swings 9kg x 20reps
    Superset full push-ups x 10 reps + Full squats on a wobble board x 5
    Superset Prone holds (standard followed by ea side) 30 seconds + the first progression of front lever exercises as found at Bodyweight Exercises- Front Lever Variations | How to Build Muscle, Gain Strength & Become a Better Athlete

Awesome training!!

Breakfast: banana, cashews + almonds + yoghurt. Also made fresh carrot, apple, orange + wheatgrass juice.
    Lunch: Lettuce cups w slice of avocado, capsicum, red onion, and dollop of pesto
    Dinner: Wild beef mince cooked in organic stock, organic tinned tomatoes, various herbs and spices, on a bed of salad goodness.
    This is where I screwed up. It was my pa's birthday and I thought to myself hmmm a mouthful of that dessert would be delicious, turns out the reality is never as good as the temptation, and now I feel physically terrible. Not guilty, just terrible from the sugar or something intake. Ok, lesson learnt.

Finished the day with an hours wonder over to the beach and quick dip in the ocean. Choice.

Day 5 - Tuesday:
    Breakfast - Smoothie (banana, egg, cocoa, coconut oil, grd almonds, couple of brazil nuts, frozen blueberries, coconut water for liquid).
    Lunch was delicious - more of yesterdays mince + a touch of salad. W side of broccli + zicchini lightly cooked in a dash of tamari.
    Dinner - Free range chicken + steamed veges. Couple of pieces of dark choc.

Training - walked around for a couple of hours doing errands.
    Had an awesome, intense no-gi training session in the evening from 6pm-8pm.

Sorry for the quick boring post.

A
    Last edited by the rookie; 01-31-2012 at 01:37 PM. Reason: Had more details to add.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I have been wildly negligent...and also busy.
    So, from now on, Posts are going to be short and sweet (starting Saturday after I hand in an essay Friday).
    I am going to start my own 30-day challenge on Saturday, leading up to a competition I have in July.
    I'll let you know how it goes.
    Anna