Thread: Exploring the Primal lifestyle page

doyouhas Guest

I'm 17 years old and for most of my life I've been like the majority of people, eating an abundance of fat, salt, and sugar. Although I knew these things were bad for me, there were some things that were quite surprising upon reading some of the "definitive guide" articles. I was always under the impression that milk is the best source for vitamin D and other nutrients. But Mark makes a compelling argument, especially when you look at the frequency of lactose intolerance in adults. If milk was/is essential to our survival, why are so many people unable to digest it? Very interesting stuff.

But I also have some questions. I like to make a smoothie out of frozen fruit in the morning, is it bad to use half a cup of plain organic yogurt for some texture?

Also, what about how much food should I be consuming? It's been difficult transitioning these past few days and I havent followed everything 100%. I had a few small pieces of dark chocolate, which is 60% cacao.I had a lot more questions but some of them arent coming to mind. I'm sure I will be posting more questions as I progress. I'm gonna try 30 days to see how I feel and go from there.

This seems to be a really excellent community and I've already found many of the articles to be very enlightening. Please post, comments, feedback, answers to the above questions, anything at all.

Thanks in advance,

Zach P.

Edinburg, TX

doyouhas Guest

Really looking for some feedback here guys...

six Guest

I simply make a shake (protein shake) with coconut milk or almond milk, ice, protein powder, and a banana or frozen fruit. For me the texture is thick and fluffy enough if blended thoroughly. I personally don't consume dairy and I only consider raw milk satisfactory for a primal diet if you have no side effects.

The amount you should be eating is pretty much what your body says, listen to it learn from it, I wouldn't recommend counting calories but you can try around 18 calories per lb of body weight and adjust from there.

Just enjoy the peace of mind that your life style is healthy and don't look back.

stryker902 is offline Junior Member

you do not have to worry and change everything at once, if you enjoy your fruit shakes with milk for now, go ahead. your making other changes and little by little you will make adjustments. Many of people here have their own little adjustments to this that makes it work for them. Maybe some have more dairy than others, some not at all. Or maybe only raw milk. some can make the eating adjustment overnight and never look back. Others slide in to this slowly. find your path, know where ya want to go and enjoy. remember, life is a journey not a race.

doyouhas Guest

Thank you. That is good to know. Yea I am gonna try and start making my smoothie without yogurt, or possibly as a treat once in a while use full fat yogurt, as I just read Mark's guide to dairy and he recommends that any dairy products you do eat should be full fat. Also my stomach has been uneasy these past few days but I imagine that is just my body reacting to the change in diet.

hannahc is offline Senior Member

You might have an adjustment period to higher fat, I really did at the beginning. Keep reading the Definitive Guides, and get the book if you can, as those resources will answer A LOT of your newbie questions There have been an abundance of new-comer questions lately (which means a lot of new Primal Blueprinters, which is awesome), but there seems to be a bit of fatigue over answering questions that are clearly answered in the Primal 101 section and in Mark's book.

Regarding the Vitamin D in milk...milk doesn't have Vitamin D on it's own, it's fortified with it. Just like orange juice...oranges don't have massive levels of calcium and Vitamin D in them, those things are added in during the industrial processing. The best way to get Vitamin D is to go outside for an hour, and then to supplement with a good capsule if you're in a wintery place without much sun. Or a rainy place without much sun I suppose.

Seriously though, keep reading the definitive guides, they are an amazing resource and will get you on the right track.

You are what you eat,
    and what you eat eats too - Michael Pollan

Kent Hawley is offline Junior Member

As stryker902 said, you don't have to change everything at once. I have been at this 2 1/2 weeks. I still drink pastuerized milk, don't buy organic, and eat soup from a can.

BUT, the changes I have made--almost total elimination of grains, eat when I'm hungry (instead of every 2 hours), lots of leafy greens, and supplementation of fish oil and D3--have made a marked improvement in the way I feel (no more bloatedness or arthritic pain) and look (lost 7 lbs. so far).

Take it a step at a time.

dsantana is offline Senior Member

I agree with everyone. You should approach PB in steps attempting to get closer to being fully primal. I still consume milk, personally my body does not have problems digesting it. I use organic yogurt to make my morning smoothies, I just don't eat them every day.

Take the steps you can at this time, add more later. If you try to make PB overly restrictive and overthink it you are going to lose sight of how much fun it can be to go primal.

Best of luck

doyouhas Guest

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Yea. Take baby steps, that seems to be the overall theme here. I cracked the other night and had an energy drink because I was cramming for school. But I'm gonna try my best to avoid those situations because I am aware of how much refined sugar and caffeine they contain. That's really the only major slip up I've had. And today, I got back on the horse and continued to eat the same. I'm not gonna let one failed day ruin my journey towards healthy living. Being 17 and all, I still live with my parents and they claim they're "trying" to get onboard with the plan. But my mother refuses to cut grain out of her diet and is still drinking sugary lattes. My dad is generally more help because when he wants to he can be extremely disciplined with his diet. In time I hope to change everyone in the house over so that our pantry will be stocked with primal foods 24/7