Thread: Preparing for antibiotics page

Turnstone is offline Senior Member

Preparing for antibiotics

Primal Fuel
    I was diagnosed with Lyme Disease, so in one week I have an appointment with my doctor and I want (not really, but I have to anyway) to start my antibiotics treatment. I don't know yet how long it takes, but at least 4-6 weeks, maybe even longer.
    I have read Marks series about antibiotics, so I know this will be a hard time for my body, and especially my gut. I will take probiotics and eat more prebiotics.
    Is there anything else I can do?

silverfox is offline Junior Member
    Hi there
    I'm not sure if I have much in the way of useful information but I just wanted to let you know that you're not alone. I'm a 25 year-old woman/grad student and I was diagnosed with lyme disease about two years ago. Unfortunately I was diagnosed at least 3 years after I was infected and the cure rate for people who aren't diagnosed early is pretty low with the short turn run of antibiotics. Last time I saw a practitioner she wanted to put me on antibiotics for 9 months to 3 years. The reality is that I'm fairly healthy most of the time and the antibiotics would probably make me sicker.

I have found that as long as I exercise regularly, eat healthy, and supplement with magnesium to prevent muscle cramps I am pretty functional. I'd say that the best thing you can do for yourself when you start taking antibiotics is to eat really healthy and exercise.

Feel free to PM me if you have questions about this. I'm no expert on lyme but I have been dealing with it for awhile.

Good luck,
    Faith

Turnstone is offline Senior Member
    Thanks, Faith!
    I believe that I was infected many years ago, too. I have strange symptoms from time to time, and my doctors said I don't have to worry. I even asked about Lyme Disease because I get bit by ticks quite often. Last summer I felt so bad that I searched more on the topic of Lyme Disease and found out that it could explain all my symptoms. I searched for a doctor who specialized on Lyme Disease and found one who really cares. That was last summer. At that time I switched my eating to a more primal diet and I immediately felt better, so we decided to wait with the antibiotics (as it wasn't an acute infection) until I feel worse. Symptoms get worse at the moment (headaches, joint pain, dumb face and skin, and my memory gets worse again), even with exercise and healthy eating, so it's time to try the antibiotics! I know the possibility that they don't work, but I have to try at least once.

silverfox is offline Junior Member
    Good luck with the antibiotics. Let me know how it goes. I've considered doing the short run of antibiotics to see if it helps, but I got scared off when the Dr. I saw said that she thought it would be at least 8 months. My symptoms are mostly joint pain and vertigo episodes. I also have intermittent memory problems but that's less common. When my vertigo is at it's worse I can't even roll over in bed without throwing up but thankfully it doesn't get that bad most of the time. I also don't recover from stresses like traveling as well I used to. I feel like people in general don't take this seriously. I'm young, athletic, and appear perfectly healthy. I hate the fact that despite taking really good care of myself I still hurt.

Again, good luck with the treatment.
    Faith