Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Survivalism page

Bosnic is offline Senior Member

Primal Survivalism

Primal Fuel
    So you may have heard about people that store food, water, and sometimes firearms in case of a disaster. They're prepared for when the SHTF (poop hits the fan), as they say.

My question to you is: If you were going to do this, what kinds of food would you store?

Because there isn't much to choose from the primal diet that will store for a long time.

Your thoughts?

Turnstone is offline Senior Member
    If you don't want to store food for years of starvation, it's easy to buy a few more of your regular primal foods and rotate. I keep the following (but not in huge amounts, and I rotate it all):
    - canned fish
    - canned meat from a local butcher (think of SPAM or Corned Beef or something like that)
    - coconut milk
    - coconut oil
    - chia seeds (not perfectly primal, but better than grains)
    - rice (not perfectly primal)
    - bottled water (in glass bottles)
    - extra water for hygiene issues in plastic containers (I guess they contain BPA, so I will not drink that unless I don't have anything else). I change this every 6 months
    - a small bottle of water desinfection

Quote Originally Posted by Man is Truth View Post
    haha who has arrows has meat
    But what about those who live in a more urban setting?

Quote Originally Posted by Turnstone View Post
    If you don't want to store food for years of starvation, it's easy to buy a few more of your regular primal foods and rotate. I keep the following (but not in huge amounts, and I rotate it all):
    - canned fish
    - canned meat from a local butcher (think of SPAM or Corned Beef or something like that)
    - coconut milk
    - coconut oil
    - chia seeds (not perfectly primal, but better than grains)
    - rice (not perfectly primal)
    - bottled water (in glass bottles)
    - extra water for hygiene issues in plastic containers (I guess they contain BPA, so I will not drink that unless I don't have anything else). I change this every 6 months
    - a small bottle of water desinfection
    Nice list. And good idea on the glass bottles. I use a rinsed out bottle of Bragg's ACV, with the label removed for my water.

mamacaz is offline Junior Member
    Too true MIT!

There was a thread on this at another forum I used to visit and one old timer really caned them all for their short sightedness.

He said his strategy was to store knowledge, either in his head or in books. How to grow food, how to sew, mend, make do. And to build, not a fortress around his vege patch but to build a community that would take care of each other in a time of need. He was in a suburban environment.

Individual "self-sufficiency" is a myth - you need a village.

What do you do when your stockpile runs out?

Stockpile knowledge, collect friends, build communities. This is the only way to avoid being splattered.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mamacaz View Post

Individual "self-sufficiency" is a myth - you need a village.

What do you do when your stockpile runs out?

Stockpile knowledge, collect friends, build communities. This is the only way to avoid being splattered.
    ^ This. And I'm pretty sure I couldn't hunt my way out of a big mess. Remember, everyone else will be trying the same things as you. Canned goods, seeds and knowledge, together with a community. And never ever do what the authorities tell you. If they say "stay put everything is under control" get the heck out of the building. If they say "this way to the shelter" run the other way.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

banananutmuffin is offline Senior Member
    I started a thread about this a few days ago, looking for other preppers here.

Knowledge is first and foremost. But a stockpile of goods - food, water, ammo (if that's your thing) - is NEVER a bad idea. Aside from the fact that it could get you through a short-term emergency (hurricane, earthquake, trucking strike, power outtage), it may be necessary if TSHTF in a big way. Gardening and hunting and gathering is all fine and dandy, but something could make it necessary to "hunker down" and stay out of sight for a while. Having a "village" is a good idea, but it's important to be selective about those you choose. Not everyone deals well with crisis, and some people may become a liability rather than an asset.

As for me, I started prepping long before I went primal, so a lot of my food storage isn't primal. I have wheat, for example. And freeze-dried food packages that contain noodles, chemicals, etc. I have basic chicken noodle soup, Chef Boy R Dee, the usual canned crap... although canned veggies and fruits, too.

Now that I'm primal, I've been rethinking it a bit. I focus more on canned meats/fish (tuna, salmon, SPAM, ham, some chicken). Dried meats (like jerky) are always good. Grains are inexpensive and store a long time, so I am switching over to a focus on rice instead of wheat. I garden, planted fruit trees last year, and have an abundance of wildlife in my area. I'm well-armed, too. With any luck, I could at least make it through a winter blizzard.

But truthfully, if TSHTF and things get really rough - like an economic collapse that sends grocery prices so high that they are no longer affordable or another Great Depression - I'll probably just eat the damn Chef Boy R Dee. I love that shit anyway.
    Female, 40 yrs old, 5', 120 lbs (post-pregnancy)
    Went Primal January 2, 2012!

Paleo Cooking for Cavekids cookbook

dado Guest
    when shit hits the fan you don't need anything stored, your Raw Balls Nature (RBN) will reveal itself and drive you to victory.

dado Guest
    the brain that thinks in terms of 'storing' is the one that will be buried alive

Laconophile is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dado View Post
    the brain that thinks in terms of 'storing' is the one that will be buried alive
    Have you seen how heavily armed preppers are?
    Ye shall know them by their fruits.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast