Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Gelatin vs bone broth page

elektro is offline Member

Gelatin vs bone broth

Shop Now
    Is taking a high quality powdered gelatin comparable to eating bone broth in regards to aiding the healing of a leaky gut?

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Commercial gelatin is a refined product derived by soaking mostly animal hides in an calcium hydroxide or acid solution to render it.

I prefer the slow simmered bones, tendons, and parts such as ears and feet that still have skin that make that collagen jelly magic happen right in my own kitchen... it has the added benefit of mineral... and delicious flavor.

There are at least 15 types of collagen, making up about 25% of all the protein in the body. It is present in bones, ligaments, tendons and skin, in cartilage, and in bone marrow.... I don't think the diversity that is found in bone broth will be found in a package of refined product made mainly from a single source (skin). "Most commercial gelatin products are made from animal skin and often contain MSG, but broth made from bones produces a much more nutritious gelatin that contains a wide range of minerals and amino acids."

I can't say if the refined product would be as effective or not... but I have serious doubts.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

elektro is offline Member
    Where do you typically get the animal parts you use? I only have a Whole Foods near me and I never see any of that on display, do you have to specifically ask for it? Also, is the idea to replace most or all your meals with broth or to supliment your diet with it, like one or two servings a day in addition to what you currently eat? And is beef broth better than chicken?

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by elektro View Post
    Where do you typically get the animal parts you use? I only have a Whole Foods near me and I never see any of that on display, do you have to specifically ask for it? Also, is the idea to replace most or all your meals with broth or to supliment your diet with it, like one or two servings a day in addition to what you currently eat? And is beef broth better than chicken?
    I get the bones I use from the meat I cook... if I cook chicken, pork, beef, or any other meat in a fashion that it was not braised to death so that it already gave up all it's goodness (say grilled steak bones or baked chicken bones for instance) I keep the bones after the meal and store them in the freezer until I have enough to make a nice pot of bone broth... I keep two bags, one of light bones (pork, chicken, turkey) and one of dark (beef, lamb, venison)

Sometimes I buy bone cuts just to add... like oxtails, pork necks, around T'giving there are usually lots of turkey necks to be had cheap. Especially
    For things like feet (pork, cow, chicken, whatever) and ears... and just BONES in general I know of places that sell them (or GIVE them sometimes... a good relationship with a butcher works like that), but it should be as simple as asking the butcher at whole foods? Yes... just ask for soup bones. If the WFs butcher won't help... find a butcher who will.

I have no idea what the protocol for fixing leaky gut is for the amount of bone broth you should consume. But IMO it's not supposed to replace all your meals... it's a delicious "supplement". And I put "supplement" because I know nothing about that... I just know that it's really tasty and I've been making it for my entire life... never even called it "bone broth" until this forum... it was just stock that I made the way Gramma made it.
    Beef or chicken... umm... up to your tastes I guess. But I'd do both. I figure they have at least slightly different mineral profiles.

Honestly... if healing leaky gut is your goal, you should probably study up on that more. Google is your friend. Or at least the "search" function on this site...
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

sapphire_chan is offline Senior Member
    Yes, ask them about it. If you aren't seeing it out for sale, they might be throwing stuff away and you might be able to get it cheaply.

From my local farms, grassfed, organic, antibiotic-free, beef soup bones are $2-3/lb. Butchers have them for $3-4/lb.

Issabeau is offline Senior Member
    Commercial gelatin is a refined product derived by soaking mostly animal hides in an calcium hydroxide or acid solution to render it.

Ewww, are you serious? That's disgusting.
    You mean like jello is made with that?

g3twell is offline Junior Member
    Whole foods usually has cut bones in the freezer section. They sometimes even have grass-fed bones.

Quote Originally Posted by elektro View Post

dbalch is offline Senior Member
    I don't know anything about powdered gelatin, but a general rule is this: always try to eat a real food, rather than take a processed, factory made supplement. That's one of the points of using paleo as a reference point for your nutrition. We don't KNOW that our bodies can process a factory made supplement properly, but we KNOW it can process bone broth effectively. We evolved to do so.

I do take a multi-vitamin supplement, and an occasional Vitamin D in the winter, but that's only as insurance, not a replacement for real food.

PaleoMom is offline Senior Member
    find a local farm that sells pastured chickens or grass-fed beef (like localharvest.org) Chickens are usually available in the summer time, ask if you can buy feet and necks and load up your freezer with it. It wouldn't be surprising if they just gave it to you for free. For beef, asking a butcher for dog bones can be very cheap. You'll need a large pot though, they are huge.

Don't used non-organic chicken though. I've heard of bad symptoms from high flouride and bromine(?) from them.

I think if you could get a cup or two a day that would be great, until your gut feels more healed. I roast 1-2 chickens a week and use all the bones for broth, but that gets spread between 4 of us, so it still isn't that much. Always looking for more chicken parts!

bloodorchid is online now Senior Member
    i go with bone broth, it's got all the goodness in it plus it tastes sooooo good
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast