Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Omega 6's preventing weight loss? page

ar0e is offline Member

Omega 6's preventing weight loss?

Shop Now
    Can eating too many omega 6's prevent weight loss when eating primal? I feel like I should be losing based on what I have been doing, avoiding dairy, no fruit, less than 75 grams of carbs, but the one thing I never really kept track of was my omega 6 to 3 ratios. I just entered a typical day into Paleotrack.com and my ratio is about 10:1, should I get a fish oil supplement and if so would I need to adjust my daily fat intake to account for it?

mikeyg is offline Junior Member
    Yes!! you want to be 3:1 or so. Cut the nuts and veg oil. And get fish oil. Read the book!

ar0e is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeyg View Post
    Yes!! you want to be 3:1 or so. Cut the nuts and veg oil. And get fish oil. Read the book!
    Thanks, I've read it, but I guess I just didn't think it was that important to track which fats I eat. Obviously it plays a big role in fat loss. I don't eat nuts or veg oil, I cook with coconut oil or butter. Is olive oil a good source of omega 3? I searched the forums but found conflicting info on olive oil. Also, does sesame oil count as consuming nuts?

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Olive oil is a bad source of omega 3 as it contains a lot more omega 6. However, it's a good source of omega 9 (the beneficial oleic acid), so on balance it's a good oil, but the omega 6 hit probably needs to be considered.

There are various commonly eaten omega 6 fatty acids and some are worse than others regarding inflammation. Some may even be anti-inflammatory. e.g. gamma-linolenic acid.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

jimhensen is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ar0e View Post
    Can eating too many omega 6's prevent weight loss when eating primal?
    No. Eating too many calories can prevent you from weight loss though.

pyro13g is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jimhensen View Post
    +1

ar0e is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jimhensen View Post
    I know, I'm eating about 1600 calories a day, 60% fat, 30% protein and 10% carbs, I just feel like some people on the forums talk about how the weight just melts off of them in the first few weeks and that has not been happening for me. I went a little off the wagon over the holidays but I've been back on track for 2 weeks now and haven't lost a pound, I'm just trying to consider all of the possibilities I guess.

jakey is offline Senior Member
    different people lose weight at different rates, and the factors affecting this are, frankly, a bit mysterious. calories matter. they're not the be all and end all.

to your question though, i actually don't think that your levels of omega6 fats would stall weight loss. doesn't mean it's healthy, and it would definitely be pro-inflammatory, but i'm not sure it would impact weight loss very much. especially if you're only getting the omega 6 from animals. if you're eating seeds in great quantities, it's likely the caloric load and not the fatty acid.

DaisyEater is offline Senior Member
    There are all sorts of things that can prevent weight loss even with a pretty low calorie intake. Inflammation and hormonal imbalance can cause your metabolism to down regulate. I'm no expert on this stuff. There are people better qualified than I am, but I've read that stress and poor sleep can hurt. Throws off adrenal hormones. If you have any kind of thyroid thing going on, it can be practically impossible to lose weight even with very low calories. And autoimmune hypothyroidism is practically an epidemic in the US. It's shockingly common in women in their 30s and up. That stuff can take time to heal. I'd concentrate on eating really good quality food, balancing the fats, and looking at the stress in my life. If you have access to good healthcare, you may want to look into getting some testing done.

Google up things like hypothyroidism and adrenal imbalance and look at the symptoms. See if a lot of them fit. I struggled with undiagnosed autoimmune hypothyroidism for several years. I presented with the classic symptoms and my doctor told me I was getting old. WTF? A few months ago I was slim, climbing mountains, and feeling awesome. Now I'm suddenly old? I'm pushing myself to work out more than before eating less, and still gaining weight. My hair is falling out and I'm swollen like a balloon. Apparently she thought my body just fell off a cliff and there was nothing to be done about it. It took a friend showing me the list of symptoms. She was hypothyroid herself. I went to a new doc and laid that all out for her, she tested me, and there it was.

Primal eating is the only thing that has shifted any of the weight I gained. It's slow, but it works for me. And it's really helped lessen the symptoms. I don't know if it still would if my hypothyroidism were not being treated, though. I still was highly symptomatic with the hormones before changing my diet, but it did help some. If you're like me, maybe diet alone won't be enough.

Issabeau is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    I've read somewhere (in one of the famous paleo books) that Adrenal Fatique prevents weight loss.
    Some people have naturally speedy adrenals while others run on sluggish adrenals. I'm not sure what's causing it or if it's genetic, I didn't get further into researching it and flew through the books. But I specifically remember adrenal fatique being one of the causes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast