Thread: Insanity Workout Program page

Emily Mekeel is offline Junior Member

Insanity Workout Program

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Here's the deal:

I went Primal at the beginning of Summer, 2011. I managed to get down to my lowest body fat ever (Women's size 4/6 - good muscle tone - could go and go for hours). School started and my body fat slowly started creeping up (I'm going to attribute this to eating too much + being excessively stressed out) even though I was exercising primal style and still eating primal foods. So, at the end of December, I decided to start doing the Insanity program. I've completed the first month and I think I actually managed to gain fat (and I was keeping a closer eye on what I was eating). Is it possible that it was too much "bad" cardio and that it actually promoted fat storage - even with all of the calories being burned?

moderngrok is offline Member
    Could be. I've done Insanity twice. It's a tad over-the-top for cardio with Primal eating (IMO). Of course, you could always try to increase carbs (sweet potatoes, and I see people suggesting white rice a lot) and see if that changes things. Stress/sleep possibly hurting as well?

My stress level was definitely up and what's interesting is that I decided to discontinue Insanity after month one and suddenly I can sleep through the night again. It might not be a causal relationship but I'm also not as stressed out and I have the energy to do the other things I like (yoga, indoor rock climbing). Over the summer, low carb + IF + LOTS of low level activity + uphill sprints + two full body strength days did the trick for me so I think I'm going to try to go back and adhere to that as best as I can and then when I get back to where I want to be, maybe I'll pick up Insanity again for the conditioning because it is a fun workout and my CV endurance improved.

The Scott is offline Member
    What time of the day are you exercising? If I were to do insanity at 5pm and expect to fall asleep at 9, it wouldnt happen.

CE402 is online now Senior Member
    Inability to sleep would be indicative of chronically elevated cortisol. Trying to do insanity while low-carb and on a caloric deficit and dealing with college is a recipe for overtraining and adrenal fatigue.

I did a modified insanity for two weeks last summer when I wrenched my back bad squatting. High intensity bodyweight conditioning was just what I needed at the time; but I only did it 3 days a week for two weeks. It still kicked my ass.

Do you have dark circles under your eyes? Do you feel lethargic all the time?

Take a week off, relax, throw away the scale. Try to take a long walk/hike a few times a week, head out with friends and do some rock climbing and enjoy yourself. And EAT.

Give yourself a couple of weeks to recover before starting up the sprints and heavy lifting.
    Last edited by CE402; 01-26-2012 at 06:31 AM.

dboxing is offline Senior Member
    It’s called “Insanity”. That should be your first clue.

pyro13g is offline Senior Member
    Sounds more like you are not eating enough for Insanity program needs. Not eating enough can promote a skinny-fat appearance.

Quote Originally Posted by The Scott View Post
    What time of the day are you exercising? If I were to do insanity at 5pm and expect to fall asleep at 9, it wouldnt happen.
    It was always early evening because of my school schedule but I noticed that Insanity didn't wear me out mentally when I was home for Christmas and was doing it mid-morning. It was actually energizing at that time of the day.

I did have noticeable dark circles - had to pull out my old dark circle cover up from my 5AM treadmill days. I did start to feel a bit lethargic during my study times (just like I did when I was running in the mornings, last year) and after doing Insanity in the evenings I would have energy for about 2 hours before I'd start to crash out.
    I took a couple days off after I decided to stop Insanity and now I'm easing back into my old Primal program. Wednesday was easy 20 minute yoga + a 30 minute walk to class; Thursday was a 30 minute walk to class + 60 minutes or so of rock climbing + 20 minutes of easy yoga in the morning; Today was 60 minutes of walking total + a good LHT session. I'm happy to say that my LHT hasn't really suffered. It will take me maybe another 2 or 3 sessions to get back to what I was lifting before Also - I'm very excited to get back into doing IF - I actually miss it!

llong is offline Junior Member
    I do Insanity but only 3 days a week. I love the muscle tone it has given me but find my muscles really need to rest a day in between. Also, even though i have been doing it for almost a year, I never moved to the second set of workouts (month 2) the fisrt set resultyed in excellent muscle development all over my body and I feel strong and fit so why push myself to exhaustion?