Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: meat (venison) tenderizing techniques? page

mosin46 is offline Senior Member

meat (venison) tenderizing techniques?

Shop Now
    wondering what any one knows about this. have venison steaks and roasts. did 1 one the grill tonight. flavor is good. soaking in milk a few hours (and i hear buttermilk works better) removes all "gamey" taste. but it is tough. about like low cost round or flank steak. ideas and input on people's experience; soaking (marinating) in citrus,pinapple,papaya juices? any cooking for tenderness experiences? other input? thanks.

Mountainduck is offline Member
    I eat a lot of venison. Been eating on a mature buck here lately. Granted, I have been eating backstraps, but tenderness has not been an issue. I find the biggest thing to tenderness is to not overcook it! This also goes a long way in preventing the gamey taste as well.

You have no intramuscular fat, so the meat tends to have different cooking characteristics than grain-fed beef (for example) One of my favorite ways to cook venison, is to coat it with a little homemade ghee, throw it in a hot, dry cast iron skillet, for about 30-45 seconds per side (I preheat my skillet in a 500 degree oven). If it's a thinner piece (~1"), this will just about be as done as I'll cook it. For a full thickness piece of backstrap, or roast, I'll pop it in the oven to finish it. I'll typically pull it out of the oven at around 125 internal. This will give you a medium rare after it rests a little.

Do the same thing on the grill, sear both sides for about 2 minutes over direct high heat, then throw over indirect heat to finsih. Slap a big pat of Kerrygold on that sucker, and go to town!

I do not marinate, soak or otherwise add anything (other than ghee or butter). I simply use a few shakes of sea salt, black pepper, chili powder, cumin and garlic powder prior to cooking.

If you prefer it in the medium-well+ doneness.... you may indeed have some problems with tenderness and gameiness.

FYI, wild duck (mallards, wood ducks, pintail etc) are exactly the same way. I probably eat them even rare than deer. They tend to get a "livery" taste if cooked much past medium rare. That is assuming you don't smother it in some concoction of sauces and creams and whatnot. Otherwise it is awesome eating!!

lexie is offline Senior Member
    What about a meat mallet? I've not used it with venison, but a good marinade + a few whacks with the mallet has always seemed to help with beef.

not on the rug is online now Senior Member
    for steaks, i'll do them rare, either on the grill or in a cast iron pan, just like Mountainduck said. for roasts, low and slow, in a covered roasting pan, preferably with a little liquid in the bottom.

Goldsmith is offline Senior Member
    Last night I had a vension pot roast that had been slow cooking in the crokpot all day... was delicious.

These are bacon wrapped ducks (ringnecks) with jalepenos, got them a Saturday morning a few weeks ago and had them for lunch later that day.
    "Canned food is a perversion,' Ignatius said. 'I suspect that it is ultimately very damaging to the soul."
    - John Kennedy Toole (A Confederacy of Dunces)

tcb
    tcb is offline Senior Member
    I have a tenderloin in the crockpot today with some carrots and parsnips. I find the best way to do venison is to either sear it and eat it rare or cook it low and slow in a crock pot or smoker, pretty much in line with what everybody else has said. For the loin, I marinaded it for 3 days in mustard, balsamic, olive oil, garlic, salt, pepper, onion and a bit of chili powder. If I have any homemade bone broth on hand, I will add that to the crockpot. Today, I just put a cup of water, half a stick of butter and probably a half cup of balsamic for the jus.

I did a bacon wrapped hind quarter on the smoker about a month back that turned out great. Stuffed with bell peppers and jalapeno's, smoked for about 8 hours.

Last edited by tcb; 01-26-2012 at 08:10 AM.

ljbprrfmof is offline Senior Member
    The SunKissed Southern Shore of Lake Erie in PA.
    In the 70s, I seemed to get more access to venison. When I was in college, my uncle's old neighbor from Buffalo had a venison pot roast for dinner. He marinated it overnight in Italian Dressing, then cooked it low and slow in the oven. It was delicious and tender. You could probably make a primal version of the dressing.

Mountainduck is offline Member
    Dang! I'm usually not hungry at lunch, but those pics are changing that!!

Also wanted to add.... for your thinner, "quick cook" pieces, be sure and set them out of the fridge for and hour or so to warm up. It allows the center to get a little "doneness" during the quick searing, and probably helps with the tenderness, as the muscle fiber has "relaxes" At least thats my theory

Goldsmith, is that Keystone Light cans in the background of the ringneck poppers? ;-) Smoooth!

Goldsmith is offline Senior Member
    That it would be. Not really my cheap beer of choice (I'm a Miller Lite guy) but if someone brings two 30 packs of it to the hunting cabin... I'm gonna drink it.

I think one of them actually has the top cut out for use as a spit can too.
    "Canned food is a perversion,' Ignatius said. 'I suspect that it is ultimately very damaging to the soul."
    - John Kennedy Toole (A Confederacy of Dunces)

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    I don't have much experience with venison, but I am very successful at making top round london broil more tender than filet mignon. I use the following techniques:

1.) Take your steak, throw it on a cutting board and beat it with a "bumpy" meat tenderizing mallet until it's roughly half the thickness.

2.) Salt and pepper the steak and allow it to sit in the fridge at least overnight, preferably 24 hours.

3.) This is the most important part: allow the meat to sit out and come to room temperature before cooking. Throwing a cold steak in a hot pan results in shoe leather. This usually takes around 2 hours or so for a reasonably sized steak.

Other options are to marinate it overnight in tamari if you want less meat flavor. This works great with Asian stir-fry's. I've had great success making $2.50/lb meat taste like $12.50/lb meat this way.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast