Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Breakfast for children who don't eat eggs or dairy? page

spinningtales is offline Member

Breakfast for children who don't eat eggs or dairy?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    My husband and I are switching over to primal eating slowly, and we want to switch our entire household during February. We are trying to eat meals that we already eat, but leaving out the side of starch.

I have a 2 yo who is allergic to dairy and will only eat eggs scrambled once in a while. He doesn't like meat or most vegetables and nut butters wind up smeared all over the place instead of being eaten. Also, a 6yo who is dairy intolerant and refuses to eat eggs unless she can dip toast in the yolk. She eats a small variety of veg, and a little meat.

They both love fruit, sugar and starch. Their favorite breakfasts are toast with jam and oatmeal with cinnamon and honey. I am trying really hard to come up with some more ideas that my picky little eaters will enjoy for breakfast.

Thank you!

gojirama is offline Senior Member
    I'd serve fruit and keep offering it with uncured ham or bacon. If they eat the meat, good; if not, more for you. I bet if you keep putting in on their plates they start eating it eventually.
    I blog :http://raisinggodzillas.blogspot.com/
    Like me on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/...17134571662261
    "We have all the food groups- meat and chocolate".

ljq309 is offline Senior Member
    Sooooo, if they don't know they are eating egg will they eat it - vegie fritters, coconut and berry pancakes, frittata, veg and ham/bacon muffins etc?
    Lost the weight using CW. Now I just want to be healthier.
    Lisa's primal-ish when she feels like it journal.
    Feel free to read and/or comment, but don't expect me to listen.
    Distance walked 2012: 321 kms as of June 15.

tradawg is offline Senior Member
    What do they eat for lunch/dinner? Breakfast doesn't have to be "breakfast" foods. Smoothies can be made to suit most palates-coconut milk, spinich, a couple of raw eggs, and a handful of berries. Or almond milk, nut butters and a frozen banana.
    $5 off iherb.com: QOC241

"Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good." - Voltaire

For nutrition/wellness tips:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/One...34671179916624

www.onelifeonebodynutritionaltherapy.com

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    Hunger is the best spice.

When they get hungry enough, they'll eat eggs.

For lunch and dinner they usually eat fruit and a little bit of whatever we are having. DS eats a LOT of oatmeal and fruit. DD eats a lot of peanut butter or almond butter sandwiches. She has SPD (as do I) and certain textured foods totally freak her out-- like meat. I am starting to lose my mind heh. DD will do almond butter on celery but DS eats mostly grilled chicken and organic processed carby crap. I always put veggies on their plates before anything else in the evenings, but DS usually wont touch them. It honestly drives me crazy. It is even harder now that he has stopped nursing because I knew that when he was nursing, at least he was getting some nutrition.

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    Someone I respect is a veteran pediatric nurse who adores children and is widely considered somewhat of a guru on them. Her view on things like my kid won't eat x is that the parent just caved too soon. She says the same thing about Mark's son who stopped eating meat very early.

Quote Originally Posted by ljq309 View Post
    Sooooo, if they don't know they are eating egg will they eat it - vegie fritters, coconut and berry pancakes, frittata, veg and ham/bacon muffins etc?
    They won't touch a frittata if there are eggs or veggies visible.DS will pick through it for anything he likes, but DD will turn her nose up at it. They love pancakes and waffles. Does anyone know if primal versions freeze well? I know it is going to take just removing everything nonprimal, but I just want to have a few good ideas around before that comes to pass.

I am really worrying about it, and I know the answer seems obvious... starve them until they give in... but I don't really like that answer LOL

I also really like the smoothie idea. I am personally trying to limit sugar intake, so I hadn't thought of smoothies.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Sweet potato cubes stewed in coconut milk with a little cinnamon and nutmeg
    Chicken soup is great for breakfast

Before I gave up nuts, I used to eat this and loved it:

1. Meat and liquid from 2 fresh, young coconuts
    2. 2-3 cups of soaked almonds
    3. 2 apples, cut into pieces
    4. 5 figs
    5. cinnamon and/or nutmeg to taste

Blend together until the consistency of oatmeal. It keeps in the fridge for at least a week.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Apex Predator View Post
    Someone I respect is a veteran pediatric nurse who adores children and is widely considered somewhat of a guru on them. Her view on things like my kid won't eat x is that the parent just caved too soon. She says the same thing about Mark's son who stopped eating meat very early.
    I'm not so sure about this. There is also a school of thought that if you have a child who is generally a good eater, but refuses to eat a couple of food items there is a good chance they have a food intolerance. Eggs don't sit well with a lot of people. Kids can't necessarily make the connection that they don't feel great after eating a certain food item, but they may develop a dislike over time.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast