Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eat a bunch of nuts and berries and then just take a bunch of fish oil? page

ib4student is offline Member

Eat a bunch of nuts and berries and then just take a bunch of fish oil?

Primal Fuel
    Would it be bad for me to ingest say 10g of omega 6 from almonds, and then 5g or so omega 3 from fish oil, if I'm taking a multivit and eating berries with it?

Basically, are omega 6's really that bad (especially if I only cook them at 160 F) if I also take a ton of antioxidants and omega 3's with them?

peril is offline Senior Member
    Too much PUFA, including omega 3, is bad for you because of the oxidation risk. So it is not a good idea to consume omega 3 to balance an excessive intake of omega 6. Much better just to reduce omega 6 intake. Antioxidants are unproven in respect of preventing oxidation of PUFAs in vivo
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Ah, thanks. So there's nothing else bad about them other than oxidation? (which is really bad, mind you)

And I found out today that I can get meats and such from here: U.S. Wellness Meats — Our Animals Eat Right So You Can Too.
    for a lot cheaper than I seem to be able to find anywhere else. Meats and offal tastes better, anyway
    And, 90% of that ground beef is 65% lean. It's organic and grass fed, so all that fat would be fantastic for me, right?

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Keeping omega 6 low is more important than keeping omega 3 high. Omega 3 is even more prone to oxidation than omega 6. You're better off not eating the almonds at all instead of eating almonds and balancing them out with fish oil. Of course, if you're going to eat the almonds, I'd just do that - eat the almonds. Knowing what I know now, I don't even take fish oil anymore. I just eat at least a pound of wild salmon a week and keep my omega 6 low. I stopped buying almonds because of the high PUFA content. If I need nuts, I grab for macadamias or hazelnuts. They have only a fraction of the omega 6 in almonds, they're almost completely monounsaturated and, oh yea, they taste better. Cashews would probably be my third choice due to low PUFA's, but as we all should know cashews are not nuts but rather seeds
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    2 thoughts.

1) Aren't you over thinking this just a bit?

2) If you're that concerned about it, why eat the nuts at all?

Quote Originally Posted by ib4student View Post
    A lot, just like it's bad to take your information from one single study.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Quote Originally Posted by Diana Renata View Post
    2 thoughts.

1) Aren't you over thinking this just a bit?

2) If you're that concerned about it, why eat the nuts at all?
    1) If you tell me I shouldn't eat something, I'd like to know why. I always hear great things about fish oil, and then going primal I reduced my intake.

2) As I said in post #4, I would not be going out to buy nuts, as beef is cheaper and better. However, I live on a college campus and some of my friends really like pistachios or almonds. I'm not into almond milk or almond flour or anything (or any other SAD->paleo transformations); I much prefer coconut milk

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    1) If you tell me I shouldn't eat something, I'd like to know why. I always hear great things about fish oil, and then going primal I reduced my intake.
    We hear great things about hearthealthywholegrains, too, but we all know that's a big lie. The reason why fish oil at its core seems to give health benefits is because the American diet is so full of omega 6 from all the vegetable oils, grains, nuts and legumes, and so void of omega 3 because of the complete lack of n3 in conventionally raised meats, the average American is walking around chronically inflamed from a massively skewed n3:n6 ratio and an overall lack of EPA and DHA in their tissue. When you have such a horrendous diet and you start popping isolated fish oil to get omega 3, you're going to see reduced inflammation. You're taking an n3:n6 ratio of 1:30 down to 1:10 or less - there is going to be benefits.

However, contrast that to a Primal diet. The Primal diet, unless you're eating lots of nuts, is very low in omega 6 if you're doing it properly. Because omega 6 is so low, you don't need that much omega 3 to give yourself a great n3:n6 ratio. It's also advantageous to have PUFA's very low - think 3-4% of your total daily calories. If you have low omega 6 and you start popping a bunch of fish oil pills, all you're doing is pumping yourself full of unnecessary polyunsaturated fat, which is prone to oxidation and free radical damage. I suspect a study of fish oil pill consumption on people who adhere strictly to a Paleo diet would yield a much, much different result than the average American.

I'm not a fan of isolated compounds in general. I don't care if it's white sugar, I don't care if it's olive oil, I don't care if it's fish oil. It's all processed, and it's all unnatural, so I limit my consumption of all these things and always prefer the WHOLE FOOD. I only pop a fish oil pill if I've gone awhile without fatty fish. I try to eat at least a pound a week. I failed to eat it this week, so I'll pop a few pharmaceutical grade fish oil pills I keep in an airtight container in the refrigerator for these occasions. Aside from these instances, I don't take fish oil and I just eat fatty fish to get my omega 3's. I prefer a low PUFA, low omega 6 diet to a high PUFA diet with lots of fish oil supplementation. Period.

2) As I said in post #4, I would not be going out to buy nuts, as beef is cheaper and better. However, I live on a college campus and some of my friends really like pistachios or almonds. I'm not into almond milk or almond flour or anything (or any other SAD->paleo transformations); I much prefer coconut milk
    Then you're fine. Just realize that it's not natural to eat nuts all year round, let alone every day. A handful of almonds once a week? That's fine. I recommend converting your nuts over to macadamias, hazelnuts and cashews because of the low PUFA content. Hell, you actually could eat macadamia nuts every day because they're so low in polyunsaturated fat.
    Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 01-29-2012 at 08:35 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast