Thread: Still confusing and am new to all of this page

mrsamke is offline Junior Member

Still confusing and am new to all of this

Primal Fuel
    Hi my name is Amy. My friend who's taking MA courses in nutrition suggested me to read Primal Blueprint by Sisson. I was reading the book. It was very overwhelming for me. I'm a person who want to get to the point without exaggerating. Which is why I felt overwhelmed. But read all different info on primal diet on different websites. I think I'm getting it. I came across the book, The Perfect Health Diet. I didn't buy the book yet, just read the reviews. I'm not sure the difference between them. I'm looking for a change in my life. I'm obese. 270lbs and 5'4". I have been depressed for long time. I'm always tired and no energy or even am motivated to make the changes. Also other reason I'm here to see if one of those 2 diet/new lifestyle changes are for me. I have tried several diets, all failed also I always give up too easy.

Thanks and looking forward to read all different posts.
    Amy

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread15007.html

I found this post about PHD. I will read more then. Honestly I'm scared to make the changes. I guess i need to make a slow transition. Just not sure where to start also if this Primal would work for me.

Grizz is offline Banned
    mrsamke,

Please read the book,"Wheat Belly" by Cardiologist Wm Davis and you will be convinced that the Primal Diet is ideal for you and your family.
    Wheat Belly | Lose the Wheat, Lose the Weight

Best of health to you,
    Grizz

cantat is offline Senior Member
    Hey Amy,

I am brand new to this as well - day 11 for me - and started out at 195 pounds. I'm 5'4 and at my heaviest was 220 pounds (struggled and lost 28 pounds on Weight Watchers). My advice before starting: read success stories, reviews of the book on Amazon, and reviews of books of similar 'diets' (for brevity's sake) on Amazon (like Paleo), and when you have a question (i.e., what's wrong with beans?), search for it on the site. There is an extreme likelihood that Mark has addressed it somewhere on the site and the search function works quite well. This was what clinched it for me - lots of people saying they experienced similar results when eating this general way, and having all of my questions answered in a way that made sense and seemed sound to me.

It's very intimidating to make a dramatic shift away from the foods to which you've clung for comfort for however long (speaking from experience!). I have historically been the queen of crappy eating. But so far, I am finding it by and large very easy, and luckily my cravings have been minimal, although I've always been a protein-driven girl anyway. But one thing that I've found markedly different from, say, Weight Watchers, is that I no longer have to worry about what will happen when I'm hungry - I just eat something. That was always a huge stressor for me and when I was at the greatest risk for failing, and you don't have to worry about that as long as you're paying attention to when you're actually hungry (and, when you're eating and no longer hungry, that's when you stop, regardless of what's left on your plate). I'm finding it quite difficult to overeat, actually, which has NEVER been a problem for me before. I dove in 100%, no grains, legumes, dairy, or sugars (excluding fruit), and it has honestly not been that bad for me.

Incidentally, I, too, struggle/d with depression. I have been on antidepressants for two years now, and have been going to therapy for about 9 months. Antidepressants seem like kind of a touchy subject around here, I am learning, but here's my take: if your depression is debilitating, the side effects you may have from using antidepressants temporarily may be far preferable to the potential side effects of not having it treated. Don't get me wrong - maybe you don't need antidepressants (although, IMO, you should definitely talk to someone about possible courses of treatment) at all. Or maybe you've tried them before, or therapy, or w/e, I don't know. But if you haven't, and are reticent, bear in mind that they need not be a permanent thing and might possibly provide some immediate, much needed relief. I was at my lowest when I finally sought treatment, sleeping 11-12 hours a day and still tired all the time, isolating myself, absolutely miserable, even some passive suicidal thoughts. I was a mess. Antidepressants allowed me to become functional to the point that I could seek further, more in depth treatment. And if you can't seek treatment right now (because of your ability to function) and aren't getting better, not going on antidepressants because you're worried about the side effects will only ensure that you continue to not seek treatment. That said, it's my understanding that many people have experienced an alleviation of depression and other mental health issues by going primal, but I have no experience in that so don't feel I'm in a position to comment on it. Oh, also, you say you have no energy and are tired all the time - if you are the depressed type to sleep a lot, my personal experience is that an antidepressant like fluoxetine (prozac) has a sedative effect (and killed my sex drive!) that didn't help much with energy, but I'm now on bupropion (Wellbutrin), and that has been great for me. If you have insomnia or other trouble sleeping, a drug like fluoxetine might work better for problems like that than it did for me.

Depression is very hard, please feel free to message me if you ever want to talk.
    29/F
    5'4.5
    Highest weight: 220
    Starting weight: 195
    Current weight: 179
    Goal weight: 127

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Welcome Amy. Some people like to read everything they can. That was me. That is not you.

Do not read PHD, Wheat Belly nor anything else besides core paleo/primal. If you want to read something, read Mark's new book, The Primal Blueprint 21 Day Total Body Transformation. It is written to cut to the chase. Try it and see if it works for you.

By the way, I don't do strict primal. But I am not going to push my approach, cause it is for me but maybe not for you.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

js290 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsamke View Post
    I'm looking for a change in my life. I'm obese. 270lbs and 5'4". I have been depressed for long time. I'm always tired and no energy or even am motivated to make the changes.
    Your Brain On Ketones | Psychology Today

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hedonist View Post
    Welcome Amy. Some people like to read everything they can. That was me. That is not you.

Do not read PHD, Wheat Belly nor anything else besides core paleo/primal. If you want to read something, read Mark's new book, The Primal Blueprint 21 Day Total Body Transformation. It is written to cut to the chase. Try it and see if it works for you.
    I agree with this. The Perfect Health Diet is very similiar overall to Primal, but there is even more science in it than in the Primal Blueprint. You might want to start with just reading the links in my signature - they are all you really "need" to know if you don't want to understand the science.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Thanks for all of your posts. I looked back with the book, it's a bit too much to take for a newbie like me, with grok/krog thing like that. I will look into the 21 days transformation book and see.

I do like to read all different books. I have been reading vegan/vegetarian books last fall then took a break, now I'm back to read all different books also talking with my nutritionist friend.

I have a question, though. I read other posts also different reviews, I see that there are people who didn't lose weight with PBD. I'm really looking to lose weight.. I am curious about the grams of carb I need to start with, does everyone have the same grams of carbs regardless their weight? Also, about transition, I eat lots, then it would be like going cold turkey to start PBD the next day.. I understand about 80/20 thing.. I am just wondering about the transition period..

Thanks!
    Amy

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    I agree with this. The Perfect Health Diet is very similiar overall to Primal, but there is even more science in it than in the Primal Blueprint. You might want to start with just reading the links in my signature - they are all you really "need" to know if you don't want to understand the science.
    +1
    I used to always recommend that link to Archevore. And I personally follow Harris' plan. But Harris has changed his ideas enough that I feel uncomfortable recommending him to people who specifically want to know about primal.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsamke View Post
    Thanks for all of your posts. I looked back with the book, it's a bit too much to take for a newbie like me, with grok/krog thing like that. I will look into the 21 days transformation book and see.

I do like to read all different books. I have been reading vegan/vegetarian books last fall then took a break, now I'm back to read all different books also talking with my nutritionist friend.

I have a question, though. I read other posts also different reviews, I see that there are people who didn't lose weight with PBD. I'm really looking to lose weight.. I am curious about the grams of carb I need to start with, does everyone have the same grams of carbs regardless their weight? Also, about transition, I eat lots, then it would be like going cold turkey to start PBD the next day.. I understand about 80/20 thing.. I am just wondering about the transition period..

Thanks!
    Amy
    The easy answer is, you don't need to count stuff, you just need to eat the right stuff and not the wrong stuff. There is no set amount of carbs you "need to start with" or ANYTHING like that. Just eat whole natural foods, cooked in natural fats, and avoid sugar and grains especially. And the "transition period" is different for everyone and doesn't really require anything different. It's not a "diet" with "phases" and junk like that. It's just a list of foods to avoid.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/