Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: substitue for fries ( chips in the uk) page

GrokinUK is offline Junior Member

substitue for fries ( chips in the uk)

Primal Fuel
    anyone have any good primal substitutes for french fries?
    cheers
    grockette in uk

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    That question will lead to another question...Why?
    But if you want a substitute you could try sweet potato chips
    cut into chips
    coat in olive oil or coconut oil
    sprinkle with salt pepper and chilli powder
    bake
    eat
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

GrokinUK is offline Junior Member
    i was under the impression that potatoes were a no no in primal diet. Are they primal? Not sure about sweet potatoes. I head they have a high carb count as well.

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GrokinUK View Post
    i was under the impression that potatoes were a no no in primal diet. Are they primal? Not sure about sweet potatoes. I head they have a high carb count as well.
    Depends (greatly) on your goals.

tim_1522 is offline Senior Member
    If you are in a regiment (such as I, training for a half-marathon in April) where you want to add a little bit of carbs post-run/workout and you are not sensitive to nightshades, fries shouldn't be a problem -- in theory. Yes, sweet potato fries are preferable and I have them a lot, but sometimes I just want good old FRIES ya know?

The bigger problem with fries is generally not the nightshades, but rather the oil they were cooked in. Unless you are doing them yourself, odds are they are cooked in some kind of franken-fat/partially hydrogenated/high in O6 PUFA type of sludge.

So, my solution is to cook them on my own. I use a skillet and lard/tallow from pastured animal to cook them up. Small batches and It's a pain to do it yourself, but it's the only way to be sure that what you're getting is clean and with oils that's VERY important. Another thing I do is fry a bunch of thinly sliced potatoes up until crisp and store them away in a ziploc bag and then eat them like chips post-workout. That way, I can cook a lot at once and only have to deal with the frying mess once.

kiss is offline Senior Member
    Green Plantains. Google tostones.
    kiss = keep it simple, sister!

jammies is offline Senior Member
    I love oven roasted sweet potatoes and turnips. Better than fries!
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

gojirama is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tim_1522 View Post
    If you are in a regiment (such as I, training for a half-marathon in April) where you want to add a little bit of carbs post-run/workout and you are not sensitive to nightshades, fries shouldn't be a problem -- in theory. Yes, sweet potato fries are preferable and I have them a lot, but sometimes I just want good old FRIES ya know?

The bigger problem with fries is generally not the nightshades, but rather the oil they were cooked in. Unless you are doing them yourself, odds are they are cooked in some kind of franken-fat/partially hydrogenated/high in O6 PUFA type of sludge.

So, my solution is to cook them on my own. I use a skillet and lard/tallow from pastured animal to cook them up. Small batches and It's a pain to do it yourself, but it's the only way to be sure that what you're getting is clean and with oils that's VERY important. Another thing I do is fry a bunch of thinly sliced potatoes up until crisp and store them away in a ziploc bag and then eat them like chips post-workout. That way, I can cook a lot at once and only have to deal with the frying mess once.
    Agreed. I do like plain old oven fries..made myself with olive oil...from time to time.
    I blog :http://raisinggodzillas.blogspot.com/
    Like me on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/...17134571662261
    "We have all the food groups- meat and chocolate".

Credodisi is offline Senior Member
    Parsnip fries are also good

Kenzington is offline Senior Member
    ..... A salad?
    Eggplant fries?
    Any other side you could possibly imagine?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast