Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Not new to primal/paleo, but really need help changing things up! page

kolibriii is offline Junior Member

Not new to primal/paleo, but really need help changing things up!

Primal Fuel
    Hey guys!

I began this discussion on Mark's carb curve page but don't want to spam it up too much, and figure an actual, yanno, forum for discussion would be a better place for this :P

I'm 23, female, and 5'7" and 144 lbs, measurements 38"-28"-40", which I think is like 25% bf or so. Not sure. I've been at 140-144 for over a year, did sub-50g low carb from June 2010- June 2011 or so, became more paleo/primal, and now am at more like 30-80g carbs a day.

While I look pretty good, and I am in a healthy weight range, I'd really like to get leaner. When I first began lifting last year and lifting more seriously this summer, I noticed body composition changes, but things have kind of stalled out.

I'm having trouble figuring out how many calories (and what % macronutrients) I should be eating when I lift three days a week for about an hour, but sit at a desk job 9-6 five days a week. So I'm very inactive quite a lot of the time, and then lift weights.

My gym schedule is:
    Tues evening- Squat day, since I can rely on someone I know/trust there as a spotter. 730-830 pm. Squats, pause squats, calf raises, close grip bench, incline bench, a few other things.
    Saturday afternoon- deadlifts, close stance squats, db rows, back extension, lat pulls, etc.
    Sunday afternoon- bench, db presses, flys, french press, tri push, etc.

I think I get about 1400-1700 calories a day, carbs 30-80g. Mostly from veggies, some sweet potatos and stuff. Carb cycling was suggested to me, and I'd definitely like to try it.

Any and all input is greatly appreciated. I attached a screenshot of five days of myplate tracking (super heavy carb day was from carb day/cheat day from yesterday. To give an idea of what my average daily intake and macros are like.

Also, I probably eat a tsp or two of almond butter and a quarter cup of nuts or so a day. Is this too much?

All help is appreciated, or if there is a better place to post this, please let me know!
    Danielle

brachiate is offline Senior Member
    Cutting down the exercise volume (and adding some sprinting) might be good. My impression is your exercise sessions are long and likely to raise your cortisol, and that you might get better results with shorter bursts. If it's something that interests you Art De Vany's book covers this kind of thing well. I really advocate going by hunger more than measuring, and throwing in an occasional IF. People seem quite divided on nuts, I think variety would be the best thing and personally wouldn't have that many every day. I'll plug De Vany's book again as it gives you a nice model to personalise.
    The trouble with the rat race is that even if you win, you're still a rat.
    (Lily Tomlin)

I take life easier than almost anyone I know, but when I exercise I do it as though my life depends on it (which it does).
    (Arthur De Vany)

Hi, thank you for your input! I'm interested in trying IF on the weekends, perhaps starting with the recommended 14/10 and then maybe 16/8. If it goes well maybe I'll try for during the week.

I'll certainly try cutting down on nuts, maybe alternating the 1tsp almond butter one day and a couple of nuts the other day, or every other day or something.

So are you recommending maybe not dragging my ass and squishing my workouts into under 30minutes or so, or cutting out some exercises and then doing some sprinting?

My workouts are:
    SQUAT DAY:
    Squat, pause squat, hang cleans, leg curl and extensions, calf raise, close grip, incline bench, tri push, ez bar curls. Maybe I should keep squats, pause squats, the benches and calf raises?

BENCH DAY:
    Bench, flat db press, seated db press, fly, pullovers, shrugs, french press, tri push. This day is usually only 40m or so as long as I'm not being lazy and moving slowly.

DEADLIFT DAY:
    Deadlifts, close stance squat, good mornings, rows, back extensions, lat pulls, hammer curls. Keep deads, close stance, back ext, lat pulls?

Honestly, I could probably do most of this stuff in under 45 minutes, an hour just accounts for if other people are using the weights area or specific equipment. I do feel at this point like some of the workouts could be cut down.

I would go for fewer exercises personally. The sprinting is great as a high intensity thing say once a week: doing a burst, resting a couple of minutes, then repeating a few times, or whatever pattern you find best. Has a great effect. Good luck!
    (Lily Tomlin)

I take life easier than almost anyone I know, but when I exercise I do it as though my life depends on it (which it does).
    (Arthur De Vany)

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    If you look at most of the books recommended around here for fitness, there really aren't that many exercises in any of them. Starting strength has five, Convict Conditioning has six, Primal Blueprint Fitness has five, Body by science has five (I think)...

Hit the big exercises and hit them hard. Walk. Sprint.

I think you are wasting a lot of time doing exercises that provide minimal benefits.

Thanks guys. I read up on cortisol a bit- I actually haven't read Primal Blueprint (gonna get it this evening, was gonna grab the kindle for iphone app so I could read it on my commute to and from work starting tonight but app isn't loading at work) and this cortisol info was actually new to me!

How does this sound?

1. Keep exercise to 30-45 minutes tops, reduce down to five-six exercises.
    2. Intermittent fasting on weekends- 14/10 window as recommended for women, maybe do 16/8 at some point.

Food intake:
    Should I maybe try like a month at 1800/unrestricted calories while doing the above, then a month at 1600, then one at 1400?

Or perhaps not worry so much about calories, just eat to satiation and get some carbs (maybe a sweet potato and some berries) post workout? I've read sources saying good carbs PWO is great if you're trying to lean out, and I've also read that its good to not have carbs PWO if you're trying to lean out.

Thanks guys.

I like the sound of that, including the eat to satiation part. If you do the sprinting or other high intensity stuff you may find you can cut the number of days you do any exercise on. There's a mindset shift as you get into all this, sometimes less is more; your body remodels itself given the right stimuli. Brevity and intensity help that more than volume, because it's not about burning calories but changing gene expression for various things. It's the intense stuff that triggers that best, and doing too much of it is counterproductive. Carbs I don't do after workouts myself, but opinion varies as you know. Enjoy...
    (Lily Tomlin)

(Arthur De Vany)

Thanks. Any kind of sprinting/jogging/running in the cold gives me a sore throat, headache, and mad lungs :P During the spring/summer/fall, when it's a little bit darker and cooler, I feel a lot better. But cold just makes me feel like hell, honestly.

What about bodyweight interval stuff, a la bodyrock? Burpees, jump roping, etc etc. Once a week for under 20 minutes. When it's warmer I'd definitely be interested in trying sprinting but when the winter night is dark and full of terrors (aka, coyotes, fishercats, and terrible half asleep drivers) I prefer working out indoors.

Sounds good, there's no perfect way!
    (Lily Tomlin)

(Arthur De Vany)

js290 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kolibriii View Post
    While I look pretty good, and I am in a healthy weight range, I'd really like to get leaner. When I first began lifting last year and lifting more seriously this summer, I noticed body composition changes, but things have kind of stalled out.
    Meet Staci: Your New Powerlifting Super Hero | Nerd Fitness

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast