Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does under-eating hurt weight/fat loss? page

moderngrok is offline Member

Does under-eating hurt weight/fat loss?

Some background: I've done P90X 4 times total, none of them following PB. Each time I lost a lot of fat/inches in month 1. I followed their nutrition plan (low carb overall) and always enjoyed success.

Since switching to PB though, I notice I eat less. There's been a few times I've spot checked my calories and been in the 1600-1800. The nutrition guide for P90X suggest 2400.

So...is it possible to under eat and not lose weight/fat? I've always questioned the "starvation mode" theory that they propose, but at the same time, I would seem to lose steadily at 2000-24000 cals/day on their plan.

Just wanting some input on thoughts from other people.

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    Dramatic under-eating can hinder weight loss, but I'm not sure you are there at such a mild gap. Hunger can also come on with a vengance after being primal for a little while.

Glamorama is offline Senior Member
    I just eat coconut oil of a spoon to make sure I get enough calories in daily. My food itself sees me eating 1700-1800 daily, but with extra CO I get in at 2200.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    The calorie guides are not the Truth, it's an estimate. For one, there is a significant difference depending on how your basal metabolic rate is estimated. The older equations round up, and come up with roughly 10-15% higher BMR than comes up as an average in more recent experiments. Mifflin's equation (spelling) gives the lowest BMI. Watch your body, and if you get the results you want by simply eating when hungry and stopping when full, ignore the estimates.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

otzi Guest
    Eat whatever you want of Primal Blueprint foods for a month or two. If you are getting fat(or not losing), cut a few things out. If you normally put olive oil on your salad, don't. If you normally eat 10 pieces of bacon a day--eat 5. You get the idea. Counting calories is for suckers--I know I did it for a long time!

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    If you're doing P90X, I'd also recommend not to go too low carb. Just focus on getting good primal carbs from things like sweet potatoes.

Kenzington is offline Senior Member
    I think it's actually good to keep your body guessing so embrace those days that you eat like a bird AND the days that you're in total feast mode.

Sue
    Sue is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenzington View Post
    I think it's actually good to keep your body guessing so embrace those days that you eat like a bird AND the days that you're in total feast mode.
    Yes!!!!

Fury is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by moderngrok View Post
    So...is it possible to under eat and not lose weight/fat? I've always questioned the "starvation mode" theory that they propose, but at the same time, I would seem to lose steadily at 2000-24000 cals/day on their plan.
    I for one have personally found extreme caloric restriction does not give me anywhere near the weight loss one would expect based solely on the numbers. I don't have good explanations as to why, but I spent quite some time between 1200-1400 calories a day with a BMR of 2200-2500 and exercise +3x weekly, and felt like crap doing so.

I don't believe it's possible to undereat to the point to actually halt weight/fat loss entirely, merely slow it considerably.

jsa23 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    The other problem with significant caloric restriction is that it often leads to loss of muscle mass as well. If the goal is to lose fat while retaining muscle, mild to moderate caloric restriction coupled with weight training is an effective combination.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast