Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Does under-eating hurt weight/fat loss? page 2

touchdowntodd is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    i find low fat slows my weight loss ...
    started at 310 July 23rd 2011 ... workin and workin!

my journal - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread34980.html

moderngrok is offline Member
    Wow, thanks everyone for the feedback!

I've been a bit concerned about being a bit too low carb (I think most days I'm under 60g, rarely hit 80g, and only once did I go over 100g) while doing P90X. At the same time, I know I need to increase fat quite a bit to keep carbs in check and get enough calories. I also have PT 3x a week which is a decent workout (1 hour of work with 15 minute warm up and then low resistance focusing on strengthening the shoulders, but still sweat inducing).

My biggest problem is, I'm not hungry. I usually eat a 600-700 calorie breakfast, I aim for 500 calories at lunch, and then get another 600 or more at supper. I've thought about adding in an afternoon snack, but I'm just not usually hungry.

But I do wake up fairly hungry, I just exercise on an empty stomach.

I'm taking inches/body fat this weekend, and then again in 2 weeks. If no progress is made between all the measurements I've taken, I'll probably increase calories first (more fat, slightly more carb) and see where that leads as well.

But the weird thing is, I'm rarely hungry.

john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member
    Moderngrok, I had been eating at about your caloric level for a long time, and I got very used to it. I don't know your height, weight and age, but for me at 42 years old, 5'9" and 155 pounds, and pretty active, it seemed to keep me at a maintenance. Recently, I bumped it up to 2300 calories per day, but I carb cycle, basically high carb on workout days, low carb on rest days, but keep calories and protein constant. Seems to have really jump started my metabolism, and I feel better overall.

I will say that I was not hungry to eat all that food, but now I am adjusted to it just like I did when I was eating less.

I like to track calories and macros to experiment with how my body responds, so don't be afraid to do the same. You really won't know what is working until you keep track of your body weight, measurements and food intake.

SalubriousU is offline Senior Member
    Hey moderngrok,

I would say, yes, eating well below maintenance levels (which will increase further when doing a regular and intense workout program like P90x) will slow down your weight gain progress and almost certainly cause muscle loss as well. When you're eating well below maintenance, adaptive stress hormones like cortisol and adrenaline to help meet the demands you're putting on your body when insufficient food is coming in to meet your energy requirements. You sound like you're quite active between P90x, physical therapy, so I would make sure to be taking in a decent amount of food to account for these things. Otherwise, over time your thyroid hormone production and metabolism will drop, slowing the fat loss you want.

As far as you not being hungry after all that activity, that's interesting. Are you by chance slugging water all day or anything similar?
    Salube Up! - SalubriousU

SalubriousU is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fury View Post
    I don't believe it's possible to undereat to the point to actually halt weight/fat loss entirely, merely slow it considerably.
    I'm going to have to disagree with this. Crash dieters experience exactly this happening. They take in extremely low amounts of food, which they have to keep decreasing as the weight loss slows. Then they hit a point where they stop losing weight completely, and sometimes even gain weight on very low caloric intakes due to sky-high cortisol levels. Then, facing failure and no further progress (and being reallly hungry!) they start eating a ton of food and gain back all the weight they lost plus more, since they thrashed their metabolisms in the process. It's a sad story that happens to way too many people :/
    Salube Up! - SalubriousU

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12