Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hack my Labs! page

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member

Hack my Labs!

Shop Now
    You get my
    - Omega 6:3 Ratio
    - Vit D results
    - Thyroid, lipid, NMR, CBC, urine, kidney, liver, sex hormone panels & sundries
    - Metametrix GI Effects report
    - Diurnal salivary cortisol

Appreciate any and all help/thoughts/comments/suggestions, on any portion, or the whole thing in context!

Background: I had what I considered great health till a decade+ of low-fat, high-grain, high-sugar, low-sleep, high-antibiotic use led to extreme sugar addiction, binge eating disorder, and finally, chronic fatigue & bloating, belly fat for the first time ever, no longer able to stave off weight gain, & increasing food intolerances. Low body temp, BP, pulse as long as I can remember (except when at my fattest, but temp was still 96ish).

Quit processed foods in 2007 & started buying almost everything from traditional farmers; added in organs, ferments, and broth occasionally. Went primal in 2010. Lost .5lb/wk from 185 to 145. Occasional bingeing, too much preoccupation with eating, and couldn't say 100% no to grains or sweets. 6wks of weekend binges led to 10lb gain spring 2011. Started leptin reset in June, kept restarting till the bingeing stopped in October (after increasing to 65g protein BAB). Lost weight here and there. Quit rare grains and occasional dairy on January 1. Eating breakfast outside with no lenses or socks, every morning.

No history of fertility problems (conceived the second cycle after every baby), trouble producing enough milk (ample supply for literally, and constantly, the last fourteen years), or miscarriage.

Currently:
    - no desire to snack
    - no desire for lunch
    - must eat around 6 or will start thinking about (mild) sweets
    - sleeping solidly most nights (had developed occasional insomnia in the last few years)
    - almost no cravings, and these are very small and easy to dismiss
    - skin got silky two weeks ago
    - getting warm at night in the last week
    - lost 6lb in last month, bloat + fat - !!
    - body hair (lost when I went primal) came back when I went on the LR, and just left again last week. ?
    - still dreadfully tired every morning, often needing naps, and peak energy is late in the day

Labs in next post ...
    Last edited by MamaGrok; 01-25-2012 at 11:01 AM.
    5'4" 36yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Starting: 185 lbs (March '10)
    Current: 132.5 lbs
    Goal: 135 lbs (Hit Jan '13)
    Beating bingeing since 10/31/11 on my Leptin Reset journey

I missed highlighting the most recent BUN/Creatinine ratio - it should be red for out of range.

My questions next post ...

So far I've learned that
    - sex hormones are low across the board
    - T4 is not converting well to free T3 and is becoming piles of RT3 instead, indicating leptin resistance, and creating a solvable hypothyroidism ... I think
    - cortisol pattern is odd, but mostly right, but levels are mediocre at best
    - even though I've eaten only rare wheat in the last few months, my gut is still having serious problems with it, and sIgA + ANA panels show borderline autoimmune disease. Time to get straight. Since I've dropped all wheat and dairy in the last three weeks, bloating is steadily decreasing for the first time!

Some of my questions:
    1. What is the difference between the triglyceride reading for NMR and the regular one?
    2. Do I need adaptogens? Which?
    3. What's an optimal homocysteine score?
    4. Am I hypothyroid? Is the best path just to wait for leptin sensitivit to restore proper conversion of T4 to freeT3?
    5. HDL is still very high, but gut is still very leaky - am I right to assume I should avoid nightshades? Is it important to be meticulous (none of my pastured sausage b/c of the cayenne pepper), or just avoid big, obvious things like tomatoes & potatoes & eggplant & bell peppers?
    6. Do I have a renin/aldosterone problem?
    7. Do I have a fatty liver problem?
    8. How did insulin plummet while HbA1c went up?
    9. No sign of problematic inflammation in stool (lactoferrin) or blood (hsCRP, homocysteine...) - how, if my gut is so clearly hating the rare gluten I was eating? (as evidenced by antigliadin sIgA, fat malabsorption, etc.)
    10. For the across-the-board low sex hormones, is the best approach to fix these (which will accelerate the leptin reset) or to be patient and let the LR fix them? If fix them, what is the best approach to that? Help me understand what these very low numbers mean! Could it just be a normal result of just now resuming cycles after two years of lactational amenorrhea?
    11. Are the slightly-off-optimal results in the blood, urine, and iron panels of any concern? BUN/Cr ratio?
    12. Is there an upper limit to "optimal" for B12?
    13. Explicame again why LDL is going up? Something about that hormone cascade ...
    14. Should I buckle down on the omega 3 ratio or just be patient, since I'm probably just on the tail end of recovering from a sky-high ratio?
    15. What is the most likely cause(s) of my chronic fatigue? Hypothyroidism? Mediocre cortisol? Malabsorption?

My plan:
    - IV glutathione + GAPS for gut
    - continue leptin reset and 100% grain- and dairy-free, consider 100% cayenne-free (lol, already off the other nightshades)
    - continue focusing on organs, ferments, sea veggies, Mg, Se, D3, ACV or HCl
    - try Robb Wolf autoimmune protocol for a month, with GAPS, and then test re-adding eggs & cayenne, very slowly, one at a time

I'm looking for a local practitioner to help me coordinate my care, which I also hope to work on with Dr. Jack Kruse (neurologist, leptin reset dude), but in the meantime, I want to learn as much as possible and start myself on the right path, as well as find out what questions to ask and know what issues are likely, to make the best use of our time and efforts.

otzi Guest
    If you are strict paleo, and losing weight, these labs are mostly meaningless. File them away and retest in every 3-6 months. If you hit a stall, these labs will speak volumes! You need trendable data. Get your leptin in order, via the reset, eat primal for a few months and recheck--you'll see what I mean. Stressing over this lab sheet will do nothing but harm!

Issabeau is offline Senior Member
    I know crystals in urin is not a good thing because it can lead to urinary infections and damages the tissue. I have learned this from my veterinarian, my mastiff had this problem.
    I was told to give her Cranberry Extract to get rid of the crystals.

My mastiffs diet is mostly just muscle meat and whatever fat comes with this meat. It is commercial muscle meat, and the occassional meaty bone. 1x a week she gets liver. I am guessing a diet high in proteins create these crystals. I've read somewhere that drinking bone broth with muscle meat is important but wasn't explained why.
    Since this test I have made great efforts to get her more organ meats, sweetbreads, brain, pancreas, thymus, liver, lung, heart etc...I have not done another urin test on her since. I wanted to let at least 3 months go by. I've also ditched the tap water for her and she now gets geothermal spring water with tons of minerals.

Fat maldigestion might have something to do with your bile production?
    Ox-bile is a good supplement. Although I'm not really sure what Fat-maldigestion means....

My niece was born with a 'genetic' disorder that won't let her body digest certain fatty acid chains (fats) needed for proper growth and body functions. She was given a supplement (lab produced) that she had to take 1x every day for ~ 10 years. She is finally off of them and digests all the fats on her own.

dado Guest
    i am a dictator, i am ending all labwork, because it is useless obsessing over meaningless numbers.

Clostridia spores = botulism
    Here is what I found on hte net:
    Botulism poisoning can occur due to improperly preserved or home-canned, low-acid food that was not processed using correct preservation times and/or pressure.

Clostridium botulinum - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

jammies is offline Senior Member
    First off, I would increase your water intake. You need to dilute out the crystals or you could very well end up with kidney stones. Since you have increased your D3 levels quite a bit in the last year you are more at risk. Do you eat or take vitamin K2?

The positive ANA could indicate that you have an early autoimmune disease. Do you have any symptoms of lupus or mixed connective tissue disorder?

Are you getting any selenium or iodine in your diet to have with thyroid function/conversion of T3-T4? Could you be too low carb for T4 conversion?
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Issabeau View Post
    I know crystals in urin is not a good thing because it can lead to urinary infections and damages the tissue. I have learned this from my veterinarian, my mastiff had this problem.
    I was told to give her Cranberry Extract to get rid of the crystals.

My mastiffs diet is mostly just muscle meat and whatever fat comes with this meat. It is commercial muscle meat, and the occassional meaty bone. 1x a week she gets liver. I am guessing a diet high in proteins create these crystals. I've read somewhere that drinking bone broth with muscle meat is important but wasn't explained why.
    Since this test I have made great efforts to get her more organ meats, sweetbreads, brain, pancreas, thymus, liver, lung, heart etc...I have not done another urin test on her since. I wanted to let at least 3 months go by. I've also ditched the tap water for her and she now gets geothermal spring water with tons of minerals.
    No vegetables at all for your dog? Or ground bone? Dogs are omnivores and need more than just meat.
    Last edited by jammies; 01-25-2012 at 03:01 PM.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast