Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pull ups as stand alone page

johnnyq is offline Junior Member

Question Pull ups as stand alone

Primal Fuel
    When I was younger, my upper body strength workout was one set of 20 pull ups three times a week.

If I build up to the same level, wouldn't that be sufficient upper body strength exercise?

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    You would want to add some pushups as well to balance the muscles front and back. For me I would want to add some kind of overhead press as well. There are a lot of good body weight resources out there so have fun.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

otzi Guest
    If you have trouble with a regular exercise routine, but you CAN do 20 pullups 3X week--then do it! The best exercise is one you can continue doing week in and week out.

You will find after a while of Primal eating, that 20 pullups 3X week is childs play! I do 100-150 pullups and/or chinups 5X week. Also do 100-200 pushups 3-4X a week, and weighted (sandbag) squats once or twice a week. I have not set foot in a gym in 10 years and people ask me all the time if I am a body builder!

davidlim is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    If you have trouble with a regular exercise routine, but you CAN do 20 pullups 3X week--then do it! The best exercise is one you can continue doing week in and week out.

You will find after a while of Primal eating, that 20 pullups 3X week is childs play! I do 100-150 pullups and/or chinups 5X week. Also do 100-200 pushups 3-4X a week, and weighted (sandbag) squats once or twice a week. I have not set foot in a gym in 10 years and people ask me all the time if I am a body builder!
    +1 awesomness

UK Guy is offline Senior Member
    otzi,
    Impressive on those pull ups and press ups. Are they done in sets? If so how many do you do per set and how much rest do you have between each? Is it a fairly close rest or are they spread throughout the day?

johnnyq is offline Junior Member
    otzi, You the man!

Glamorama is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post

You need to tell me your secret. Installed a pull-up bar 2 weeks ago. I'm loving it except I can barely do 3 negatives in a row, let alone a proper chin-up. I have noticed that just attempting to du pull-ups, is firming me up. I'm getting toned very fast!! Can't wait to one day get to half your level. I can do 7 push-ups now. In Sep I could do zero.

otzi Guest
    Last year I couldn't do 1 pullup. After going Primal, I felt I should be able to do at least 1 pullup to be considered a man. ha.

I started out standing on a 5 gal bucket, grabbing a bar and hanging as long as I could and doing negatives. After a couple weeks, I could do 1 or 2, but the second was pretty sloppy. I focused on doing them in perfect form. After a month or so, I could do 4 or 5, then got up to 10. I spent a lot of effort going to failure, but then learned about 'reverse pyramids'. Now, once a week or every other week, I will see how many I can do to failure. Yesterday it was 22 before I lost the perfect form.

I work in a hospital and have access to the mechanical areas. There are pipes, beams, girders every where. Whenever I get a break, usually 9 am, lunch, and 3pm, I take 15 minutes and do pullups. I do them like this:
    10-8-6-4-2 (with 1-2 minutes between sets) That's 30 pullups in under 15 minutes!

At lunch, I knock out 40 (10-8-6-5-4-3-2-2) Then in the afternoon, another 30.

Sometimes, when I am walking to and from work sites, I will bang out 5-10 pullups just for the hell of it. Some days I get an extra 50 that way.

I usually follow up the pullups with 30-40 pushups, varying hand position and incline each time.

My wife only ever sees me getting on the treadmill and walking 30 minutes every night--she can't figure out how my arms and back are getting so huge. She tells everyone I started this crazy diet and turned into the Hulk! I'm 46 and have lost 50lbs this year (Thanks, Mark!)

UK Guy is offline Senior Member
    otzi,
    Thanks for the detailed response, it's an approach I would consider using if I had to cancel my gym membership.....( either that or Pavel's Grease the Groove...which you have informally adopted with your ad hoc sets....or his Ladders approach ). It's impressive to see that it has given you some great progress. What are your ultimate goals? Where do you plan to take it?

otzi Guest
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by UK Guy View Post
    otzi,
    Thanks for the detailed response, it's an approach I would consider using if I had to cancel my gym membership.....( either that or Pavel's Grease the Groove...which you have informally adopted with your ad hoc sets....or his Ladders approach ). It's impressive to see that it has given you some great progress. What are your ultimate goals? Where do you plan to take it?
    No goals. Just having fun and increasing reps to where time is the biggest factor. I don't want to get stuck going to a gym, too much going on in my life for that!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast