Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blood Pressure Woes page

Go Tribe is offline Senior Member

Blood Pressure Woes

Primal Fuel
    Ok, went to the doc yesterday. Down 18 pounds in one month (64 total since September, 2011). My blood pressure has remained 138/82. I am currently on a beta-blocker and a water pill for blood pressure. Any ideas on how to push it down? I don't drink soda or coffee, I eat a low salt diet. Now I remember that when I was 17 (I'm almost 52 now), my blood pressure was 140/80 - I weighed a hefty 175 pounds then. Am I just one of those poor souls who are genetically destined for high blood pressure?
    Started 9/15/11 at 323 pounds
    2/16/13 at 241 pounds
    Goal is 223 pounds or less

Glockin Grok is offline Senior Member
    Wish I knew... I am in the same boat... Lost 60 lbs and am still high... on medication Beta/waterpill

otzi Guest
    I was on Beta/waterpill also. 3 months and 25lbs lighter, I quit them both cold turkey. My bp was 130/70 treated and 140/70 after quitting. Now, 9 months and 50lbs lighter, my bp is 115/50 or so. I didn't start out as heavy as the OP, but hang in there. Maybe when you hit 240, quit for a while and check your bp at home several times a day.

ljbprrfmof is offline Senior Member
    The SunKissed Southern Shore of Lake Erie in PA.
    I am waiting for my BP to go down so I can push this diet to my wife. I also have some meds to quit, when the pressure normalsizes. I had a stroke 15 mos ago so everybody is monitoring me closely, sometimes too closely. My doc's office is hospital owned so very CW. I cannot wait to show them the patient can pay attention to his own health. My wife thinks I am throwing away.

Ok, I have a feeling I have the old "White Coat" syndrome - there is a blood pressure machine at the gym where I work out. So, AFTER I worked out, I sit down and give the thing a whirl - BP is 139/82. Big surprise. OK, so I redo it. I think to myself, "close your eyes and think about lying on the beach". The machine does it's thing - 114/62!!! Ok, one more time!! Same thing, relax and think good thoughts - 120/72!! My heart rate was 105 at the time. So now we'll see about this, I'm going to do it everytime at the gym and see!!!
    2/16/13 at 241 pounds

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Cool! Best to measure it yourself while you are sedentary during the morning, as that's when b.p. tends to peak.

When are you working out? Exercise in the morning can keep blood pressure elevated overall. Exercising in the evening is most effective time for lowering blood pressure.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

I always work out in the evening, usually between 6 and 8 pm. Morning workouts make me want to puke!!!

thanks for the advice!!!

Quote Originally Posted by paleo-bunny View Post
    Cool! Best to measure it yourself while you are sedentary during the morning, as that's when b.p. tends to peak.

When are you working out? Exercise in the morning can keep blood pressure elevated overall. Exercising in the evening is most effective time for lowering blood pressure.
    2/16/13 at 241 pounds

Doc called - told me to drop the water pill and monitor the effects. If my blood pressure goes up, go back on it. He's one of the few docs that "get" what we are doing. I think he secretly wishes that he would like all his patients on this lifestyle. He did sort of freak out when he saw I lost 18 pounds since last 12/23. Some bad holidays for me!!!
    2/16/13 at 241 pounds

Danielle5690 is offline Senior Member
    My blood pressure is always higher at the doctor's office, because medical stuff wigs me out. Home blood pressure monitors are not very expensive, maybe get one and test yours first thing every morning and keep a log to show your doc?

I thought that 140/90 was the cutoff for "high BP"? Am I wrong?

If you're not medicated - which I am. We'll see what happens without the water pill...
    2/16/13 at 241 pounds

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast