Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Chickens...and their feed...are grains avoidable? page

patski is offline Senior Member

Chickens...and their feed...are grains avoidable?

Primal Fuel
    So, I found a farmer online who sells 'antibiotic free' chicken, as well as organic chicken. But in both instances, his chickens are fed grains.

So, what's the deal with chicken? My preliminary reading leads me to believe they mostly do eat grains. How does that affect the consumer? Any Canadians wanna chime in on where they get their tasty chicken?

Thanks.

Credodisi is offline Senior Member
    My understanding is that you want to buy a chicken (and eggs from a chicken) that has access to roam around and eat bugs in addition to their normal feed (grain).

otzi Guest
    I would say it is impossible to buy a chicken that hasn't eaten a lot of grain. I raise chickens and feed them no grain in the summer, they just eat grass, bugs, fish, and garden scraps. The eggs are amazing! Bright yellow yolks--but egg production drops by 50% or more. In the winter, they get grain daily. Yolks change to pale yellow. They are on a timed light and egg production goes way up.

rockstareddy is offline Senior Member
    I agree. Eating organic is great, and as long as youre not eating chicken daily, the O6 shouldnt be a problem, its the vegetable oils you need to avoid. Plus some O3 tabs will balance it all out.
    www.healthfreakrevolution.com

No more diets. No more stress. Health made easy. Living made incredible.

Then I won't worry too much about it

Thanks everyone!

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Birds like grains. They don't call it chicken scratch for nothing. It's just that when chickens have access to other food, they make much tastier eggs and meat. Chickens eat just about everything. When I went to India, chickens roamed around free and spent a lot of time pecking at the stuff thrown in the compost heap behind the house. They're like garbage disposals.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

Yeah, I know chickens will eat everything! They're like goats!

Is it more important to get organic chicken (so their feed is organic too) or antibiotic free chicken?

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Chickens are omnivores. They'll eat pretty much anything they can get their little beaks onto. You should see how excited a pack of hens can get over a mouse nest! They aren't like goats at all, they are brutal... they will rip apart live flesh to consume... think of them as tiny little T-rex'es. If they could eat YOU, they probably would. LOL

A natural, summer time, free roaming diet includes bugs, snails, green plant matter, and plant fruits, and seeds. Chickens are a tropical species and not well adapted to foraging through winters in colder climes. Grain is an easily store-able way to get them through the off season, and an easy/cheap solution for the industrial farms where they are grown in houses and not allowed to forage naturally.

However, it is my opinion that one should avoid these chicken products (eggs or meat) labeled as fed a "natural VEGETARIAN diet"... it's bologna! Chickens just shouldn't be fed a strictly vegetarian diet IMO, and I won't support that nonsense.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    My friends chickens go nuts over doughnuts. They also keep the bug population way down.

banananutmuffin is offline Senior Member
    I keep a feeder of grain for my chickens at all times. They free range, though, so they actually eat very little of it. They do eat more during the winter. And if there's snow on the ground, they won't leave their coop, so they eat a lot more feed then, too.

I toss them table scraps. My kids don't eat primal (yet) and I've noticed that the chickens' favorite scraps seem to be grain based: most notably macaroni & cheese, and rice. And grilled cheese scraps. They will ignore a tomato I throw to them, but happily yank them out of my garden in the summer.

It's the free ranging that makes for those delicious golden yolks. Chickens need bugs and fresh greens! If my production goes down in the winter and I need to buy eggs, I always opt for free range. Like a previous poster said, don't buy the "vegetarian fed" crap!
    Female, 40 yrs old, 5', 120 lbs (post-pregnancy)
    Went Primal January 2, 2012!

Paleo Cooking for Cavekids cookbook

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast