Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Primal Preschool? page

PrimalBaker is offline Member

A Primal Preschool?

Primal Fuel
    We are moving (again). Due to the schools where I am being forced to live, my employment options may be limited so I can provide transportation for my kids to better schools. I am considering (for the millionth time in my life) running a pre-k at home as it will meet many of my needs.

I am wondering what I could include in a pre-k/preschool for 4 and 5 year olds (maybe 3 year olds) that would go well with Primal. I would assume much outdoor time, walks, typical kid running and playing. (we'll be in SC so good weather should be plentiful). What about academically? Well, as academic as 3-5 year olds get. And I'd prepare some great Primal-based lunches and snacks, though I hope i would not be required to provide a meal based on the USDA recommendations. Their parents would likely provide the grains all too regularly at home.

Suggestions? Thoughts on what you'd like to see in a Primal preschool?
    I NEED Sunshine! And a beach would be nice too!
    Started Primal living February 14, 2011

primalmomma is offline Junior Member
    As a mom of 2 boys... 4 & 2 years old... I wish I could find a PB compliant pre school! Alas, we live in Texas. Boo.

I don't really have any answers to your questions. Maybe making some pamphlets about the paleo/primal lifestyle to send home? I personally don't think it would be too hard to provide primal food. My kids like organic hot dogs (sans buns), green beans, celery, oranges, strawberries, chicken nuggets made with almond flour, baked potato soup, bacon, eggs, sausage... There are tons of options for food.

I wish you the best of luck!

ChefGrok is offline Senior Member
    I wish, I'm a SAHD and I'd put them in something like that. I'm in North Texas and it's all bologne and fake chicken nuggets. If someone would start one up here it would make a killing, it's right near an AFB. I had my kids in daycare on base, but my 2 year old would miraculously play in the toilet everyday, and he'd run around in wet clothes.

The other reason is that they're subsidized by the federal government to provide shitty food.

PrimalBaker is offline Member
    Thanks everyone!
    Man is Truth, I was a geography major in college. Environmental geography actually. I LOVE maps and globes! I love explaining, and just thinking about, how people migrated throughout the world. Having had the pleasure of living overseas (4 years between Spain and Germany, plus traveling in Europe, 2 years on Guam with a trip to Australia) I have been intrigued by the similarities and differences between all these cultures. We are an Air Force family so I am exposed to foreigners of all types daily. Filipinos, Japanese, Koreans, Hispanic of all types, Germans, Italians, British, etc. I love the world I live in! I also would be catering to military families. ChefGrok did mention something that bugs the shit out of me: gov't subsidized foods (and child care). That was one thing I HATED about sending my youngest to the CDC on base. I was not allowed to provide him his own lunch; he HAD to eat what they gave him, and we all know that food was shit food. Chicken "nuggets" full of breading. Sandwich meat. My son HATED the food there; he's a picky eater. The CDC said I was not allowed to feed my own child. WHAT?!?!? Now, I would certainly provide Primal foods but if a parent wanted to provide their child's lunch and/or snacks, so be it. It's the parent's right to decide what his or her child should eat.

Certainly lots of play outdoors would be necessary, partly for my own sanity. Walks in the woods. Tree branches as toys. Climb a tree. Jump into puddles. Jump over puddles. Run! Read books. Count how many birds we see. I would shy away from specific academics as I don't think 3-5 year lods need to spend hours learning the phonics of the alphabet, but certainly recognition of the letters, and child-led writing of the alphabet and numbers is good. But not as a formal instruction. Drawing is great, as are other crafts. Mud pies! My gosh, Man is Truth, for someone with no kids, you had a number of great ideas! As someone with 3 kids I still felt I needed some guidance on preschool ideas. Sad, huh? Or maybe I've just seen too much of a push toward early academics and I know Grok's kids didn't worry about that sort of thing until later. Well, maybe Grok's great-great-great-great-great grandkids. Even as recently as 100 years ago the push for early academics wasn't as strong as it is now. Hell, even when I began kindergarten in the mid-70s we weren't expected to read by the end of the year, like they are now.

Sorry, I feel like I've been rambling. I have my first cold in nearly a year, my first illness since going Primal last year, and my head is feeling disconnected. Never knew how illness truly affected me until now.
    I NEED Sunshine! And a beach would be nice too!
    Started Primal living February 14, 2011

That's why I took my kids out of the CDC, besides the fact that it was ridiculously expensive. Now I can feed them what I know is good for them.

primalmomma is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChefGrok View Post
    I wish, I'm a SAHD and I'd put them in something like that. I'm in North Texas and it's all bologne and fake chicken nuggets. If someone would start one up here it would make a killing, it's right near an AFB. I had my kids in daycare on base, but my 2 year old would miraculously play in the toilet everyday, and he'd run around in wet clothes.

The other reason is that they're subsidized by the federal government to provide shitty food.
    Where in North Texas do you live? I work in Denton!

JennaRose is offline Senior Member
    I work for a doctor, and occasionally we'll have a parent come in with a child or two and I like to entertain the kids while the parent gets treated. one game that I play with a pair of young brothers is "Hide the Bunny"; it's a little stuffed bunny that the kids and I take turns hiding while the seekers hide behind a door so they can't see where the hider is putting it. when I get to hide it, I like to put it in places where they aren't accustomed to looking. Sometimes I'll put it above their field of vision, so it makes them look up, down, and all around for it. I once put it in a completely obvious spot...but it was above their field of vision! They looked all over for it, even went over to the spot where it was, and didn't see it because they didn't look up. I said when they saw it, they would laugh, and when they did, they laughed so hard they were rolling around on the floor I had hid it atop a plastic plant, about half a foot above their heads. I think teaching kids in a way like that is pretty cool. they definitely have a good time, and the following visits they run in and say "we wanna play hide the bunny!!!!!"

Quote Originally Posted by primalmomma View Post
    Where in North Texas do you live? I work in Denton!
    Wichita Falls, my wife is active duty, and I separated a year ago after ten years in.

parakeet is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Children in the 4 to 5 yo range will absorb much better in an interactive learning environment rather than a passive learning environment. Fifteen to twenty minutes of sitting and listening is about the most you can expect from this age group. I would suggest researching the common preschool themes and tweeking them towards Primal wherever possible. For example, if you chose the theme "my five senses" you could focus on and incorporate activites that demonstrate the importance of the five senses as a survival tool during Grok's lifetime. Taking each theme and breaking it down into learning areas of language arts/storytime, music and movement, math and science, and arts and crafts will make lesson planning easier. Also, preschoolers love to cook and age appropriate "cooking and nutrition" is a great addition to any child centered program.

I like your Primal preschool idea a lot and while I'm not sure that most of the parents would really "get it," the children would, likely, love it. The bonus would be that, whether, conciously or unconciously, they will be getting the information and skills needed to lead a healthy lifestyle throughout.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast