Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cals Vs Carbs and the effect on weight loss. page

activia is offline Senior Member

Cals Vs Carbs and the effect on weight loss.

Shop Now
    Ok so regulars know that I don't think its all about carbs however I dont think its all about calories either... Finally a great transcript of a radio interview from one of the Paleo bloggers where he discusses weight loss and keeping it off and body set points..relation to carbs/cals. Some of you agree with me as you have found that going VLC doesn't always = weight loss, also dropping calories doesnt always either, hence the leptin reset. (or even *GASP* doing BOTH!)

Another great thing about this article is it talks about the psychological aspects of food!! It's so great and stuff that I've figured out awhile ago but its great to hear it from someone else and its connected to studies/science. It's also why I recommend people to go "cold turkey" from the processed foods..because they'll keep wanting them, they need to break their addiction... then it becomes EASY to say no..

Why It’s So Hard To Lose Weight – And Keep It Off

Here is an exerpt:
    "One thing I want to talk about right up front is this whole — many of you who follow the Paleo blogs and are involved in this kind of thing have been aware of this debate that has been going on about food reward and calories in / calories out vs. the metabolic advantage or the idea that carbohydrates in particular predispose people to weight gain. You know, on one end of the spectrum you have people say that calories don’t matter at all; it’s more a matter of carbohydrate density and the type of carbohydrates that you eat, and if you eat a low-carb diet, for example, you can eat as many calories as you want and you won’t gain weight. And then you have on the other end of the spectrum people that say it’s all about calories, and as long as you’re in a negative energy balance, meaning as long as you expend more calories than you eat, then you will lose weight, and if you have an energy balance where you eat and expend about the same amount of calories, then you’ll maintain your weight. That’s a little bit of a false dichotomy, and I’ll explain why in a second, but I just want to say for the record that I think that calories do matter, and I think the research definitely supports the idea that calories matter. If you look at per capital energy intake — there’s actually a great graph in this study — in the U.S. it has increased about 20% since 1980, and that increase in energy intake or food intake over that period has closely paralleled the rapid rise we’ve seen over this past 30 years in obesity. I think where people get confused about this is that they mistake the idea that calories matter with the idea that eating less and exercising more is effective weight loss advice; and it’s not. And, you know, I absolutely agree with that. That’s been a monumental failure. The idea that you can just tell somebody to eat less and exercise more to lose weight is ridiculous and doesn’t work in the vast majority of cases, and we’re gonna talk a lot about why that is in the show today. But that doesn’t mean that calories aren’t a factor and that some interventions that reduce caloric intake wouldn’t contribute to long-term weight loss. This will be more clear as we get into it. I’m already kind of ignoring my own top-line review thing here" - Chris Kesser
    Last edited by activia; 01-25-2012 at 08:14 AM.
    Primal since March 2011

Female/29 years old/5' 1"/130ish lbs

Mike Gager is offline Senior Member
    for me carbs are what kills my weight loss. i can eat as much as i want if i keep the carbs to near zero i still lose weight. if i go over 50 grams or so a day i stop losing weight and even sometimes gain. so basically i think its different for everybody

activia is offline Senior Member
    Actually if you read the article, there are MANY different factors in weight loss. One part is gentics, one part is insulin, one part is chemical reactions in the brain, also leptin. All of these will be slightly different for everyone. There is no magic pill.

Eating paleo helps with the psychological part, its easier to stay paleo because we no longer crave the highly palatable, highly calorie dense, highly addictive processed foods.
    Primal since March 2011

Female/29 years old/5' 1"/130ish lbs

otzi Guest
    If you are eating a paleo diet, you are immediately healthier than 90% of Americans. If you aren't meeting your weight goals, it's easy to tweak the macros and exercise til you do. If you can't, you need to see a doctor and get everything checked out...thyroid, hormones, etc...

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    I think eating paleo also helps with the insulin part. Probably also the brain chemical part because the better nutrition ought to make everything function better. But insulin isn't everything. I have insulin resistance and eat low carb all the time but I haven't lost any weight for a few months now. I probably need to move more and eat less to get any thinner. Perhaps hormones/thyroid is an issue, but in my opinion, the tests doctors do look for "normal" and "normal" is actually pretty dysfunctional, so the tests have never helped me.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

csgmoore is offline Member
    I see the whole calories vs. carbs debate as essentially a debate between physics and biology. Calories in/out is correct because the laws of thermodynamics must be obeyed, a physicist will say. It's a lot more complicated than that! a biologist will reply. The point is that both is correct. Like everything else in the universe we obey the laws of thermodynamics but how those laws are obeyed is very complex and involves hormones acting both on brain and all the other cells in the body. And cutting carbs helps stabilise those hormones as well as help us to cope with hunger much better (because protein and fats are increased).

Jerseyjim is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by activia View Post
    Eating paleo helps with the psychological part, its easier to stay paleo because we no longer crave the highly palatable, highly calorie dense, highly addictive processed foods.
    Well said!

"Hello, my name is Jim, and I'm a carbohaulic." I say it in jest, but my carb cravings used to be insatiable; now, I don't think about them. Eliminating grains/processed food has changed my life.

Personally speaking, I didn't realize how many fewer calories I consume a day being 90% primal until I started tracking it. It seems to be 500-1000 fewer calories/day without being overly hungry. I have to make an effort to eat enough in order to hit maintenance level calories.

The power of motivation cannot be understated.

Go Tribe is offline Senior Member
    As an engineer, the correct energy balance equation is:

energy in = energy out + accumulation

but physics doesn't accurately describe a living orgaism's biological functions. High insulin levels drive fat into storage regards of the person's caloric intake.
    Started 9/15/11 at 323 pounds
    2/16/13 at 241 pounds
    Goal is 223 pounds or less

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Go Tribe View Post
    As an engineer, the correct energy balance equation is:

energy in = energy out + accumulation

but physics doesn't accurately describe a living orgaism's biological functions. High insulin levels drive fat into storage regards of the person's caloric intake.
    Wouldn't a closer approximation be
    energy in = energy out + energy stored + energy used in process?
    With that aside, yes, I do agree that physics will never be able to cover the biological side until great leaps in both towards a common ground are made.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

Clymb is offline Senior Member
    I find that primal gives me energy and health and makes me feel good, but doesn't do anything for weight for me--if I just eat less, I lose weight immediately, regardless of what I'm eating. I really think it depends on the person.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast