Thread: Is it unhealthy to be skinny? page

Pezerinno is offline Senior Member

Is it unhealthy to be skinny?

Primal Fuel
    So iím a naturally skinny guy which is exacerbated by eating primal however the primary reason is Iím probably always in calorie restriction. I donít have the time or will to keep stopping for meals but I also struggle to eat a lot in a single sitting (1000+ calories) hence my slight stature. On top of this I admit I donít enjoy doing heavy weightlifting and tend to get my exercise through bodyweight exercises, sprints, exercise bands and sport plus lots of walking (donít own a car).

Being skinny used to bother me and I bulked up (pre primal) however nowadays Iím not so vain and donít really care but I do care about being healthy. Is having relatively low muscle mass bad? I have read studies linked to calories restriction equalling long life etc so Iím hoping it isnít too much of a disadvantage but wanted to ask what you primals think?

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    If you look at actual primitive peoples, they don't tend to be rippling hunks with 6-pack abs. They almost never look like the pictures in the banner at the top of this website. Many are quite skinny. I wouldn't worry about it.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Heaviest squat: 180 x 2. Heaviest Deadlift: 230 x 2

dado Guest
    it is important to be strong. so you should consider starting some type of heavy lifting program.

being thin is not the problem itself, the problem is if you are weak and skinny.

your structure is your structure, so you must come to terms with this, but the strength, you can develop this.

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    Your sports and walking sound good but as dado said it is good to be strong.
    There is nothing wrong with body-weight work to make you strong there are lots of good books and sites. Check out Al Kavadlo's site, Convict Conditioning, You Are Your Gym, anything by Ross Emanaite, plus many many more out there.
    As for calories start adding fat to your meal will add calories pretty quickly and easily.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirlot View Post
    Your sports and walking sound good but as dado said it is good to be strong.
    There is nothing wrong with body-weight work to make you strong there are lots of good books and sites. Check out Al Kavadlo's site, Convict Conditioning, You Are Your Gym, anything by Ross Emanaite, plus many many more out there.
    As for calories start adding fat to your meal will add calories pretty quickly and easily.
    This. I'm gaining mass with Convict Conditioning. Just make sure your exercises are getting progressively harder over time, and you'll be okay.

Low muscle mass isn't going to hurt now, but you want to have as much as possible when you are older, and it's easier to build it now over time. Muscle and exercising them will do a lot of positive things for your body that you really need to be happening.

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by dado View Post
    it is important to be strong. so you should consider starting some type of heavy lifting program.

being thin is not the problem itself, the problem is if you are weak and skinny.

your structure is your structure, so you must come to terms with this, but the strength, you can develop this.
    Can't believe I'm going to agree with you, dado, but I am.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com