Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hi & is anyone here not a meat eater? page

cld111 is offline Junior Member

Hi & is anyone here not a meat eater?

Shop Now
    Hi all! My name is Christina, and I read the Primal Blueprint over the summer, and it's something that's kind of stuck with me since. I've been on this site, read some blog posts now and again. I think the diet makes a lot of sense. I especially love the way Mark lays out exercise, and it seems like something that I would enjoy doing.

The thing is, I'm not much of a meat eater. I never have been, and never will be. On top of it, I've read WAY too many books on factory farming and all of that.

I just want to know if there are some of you out there that follow primal, but aren't big on eating meat. I think I can still make it work for me as I do still eat fish, shrimp and crab, and I am OK with eating eggs from humanely raised chickens and some butter / cream from grass-fed cows.

(Funny that I was leaning toward a vegan lifestyle at one point, but honestly, Mark's views are not that far off from the vegans and are pretty close to on-point with mine.)

Anyone else in the same boat?

Thanks!

primalmomma is offline Junior Member
    I am right there with you. I can handle a hamburger or a barbeque sandwich (when I wasn't primal ) but I can't just eat a steak or pork chops or a piece of chicken. I can choke down chicken better than the others but it's still not my fav. I am finding new ways to make meats. I find that if they are 'in' something, I tolerate them better (IE: chicken salad). I guess it's just a preference thing. I also eat eggs and fish and the like. I just try to concentrate on things I DO like.

Good luck!

terrax is offline Member
    Mark's wife doesn't eat meat- she eats fish, dairy, and protein shakes and she seems to be doing just fine

Dear Carrie: Reader Question Roundup | Mark's Daily Apple

jammies is offline Senior Member
    I think you should be just fine with those options. Keep in mind that there are humane options for buying beef and pork as well, not just chicken. Some people also do fine adding in a few portions of properly soaked beans every week, so you could try that. If you avoid grains, industrial oils, and high fructose corn syrup you will already be making great progress toward improving your health.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    I've not eaten meat for around 24 years and I'm feeling so much better for going primal. I am pescatarian. I considered vegan a few years back and am glad I dismissed that on health grounds.

Now I'm thinking that being carnivorious is probably better for the environment than going veggie - I'm not prepared to go with that yet (big word is yet) because I am cranky and adore cute furry little mammals. I like birds too - they seem highly intelligent. But I'd be prepared to catch fish to survive. Gah!
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Issabeau is offline Senior Member
    I haven't eaten red muscle meat in roughly 5 months. I don't even miss it. I consume mostly organ meats (always from local grass farmer), eggs and TONS of seafood like oysters, trout, salmon and cod.
    I have days and sometimes weeks where I only consume yogurt, coconut, lettuce and fruit (farmers market season) and actually do quite well.

You can substitute animal saturated fats with coconut fat, which is very good for you.

allthings is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by paleo-bunny View Post
    I've not eaten meat for around 24 years and I'm feeling so much better for going primal. I am pescatarian. I considered vegan a few years back and am glad I dismissed that on health grounds.

Now I'm thinking that being carnivorious is probably better for the environment than going veggie - I'm not prepared to go with that yet (big word is yet) because I am cranky and adore cute furry little mammals. I like birds too - they seem highly intelligent. But I'd be prepared to catch fish to survive. Gah!
    I share your views paleo-bunny! 7 years ago I went from omnivorous to a strict vegan diet overnight. Thankfully after 2 years on that I switched to vegetarian, and then a year later to pescatarian, which is where I'm at now. I do consider eating meat sometimes to see if it's beneficial for me, but tbh my love of animals overrides everytime. BUT I feel fantastic on the paleo diet even without meat, and I make an effort to eat lots of seafood and eggs. My only issue is that fish, prawns, etc are kind of expensive. But yes, you can totally do it without eating much meat, you just need to make sure you have good alternative sources of protein/fat.

iniQuity is online now Senior Member
    Been eating animals and animal products since I was a suckling babe. My grandma instructed me on the ways of the pork and chicken rind (chicharrones!) and out of respect for her I won't ever stop eating any of the above mentioned animals.

I like to switch it up though so I have fish/beef/chicken basically every week. Whenever I'm able to I throw other stuff in the mix, the odder the better.

When I get a good hook up for organ meats I'll be eating more of that as well.

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    From my earliest memories, when Mom asked if I wanted anything at the store, it was always meat. Tuna, nasty Carl Buddig sliced meat, bologna, anything made of animal proteins was the only thing I really wanted. Rarely got it, so always craved it. But then I grew up and "learned" to think of animals as cute, fuzzy and like people. That got worse and worse until I finally tried to go vegetarian and loss a TON of muscle and strength. I know I cannot live without eating animals. You know how much it would cost to get my pound of protein from non-meat sources? It's too laughably expensive to be worth considering. Offal, fish eggs, a little red meat, bone broth, beef tallow, duck hindquarter and other odds and ends are necessary staples. And they are also people food, unlike that weird brown dust in a bucket that's supposed to replace protein.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by allthings View Post
    I share your views paleo-bunny! 7 years ago I went from omnivorous to a strict vegan diet overnight. Thankfully after 2 years on that I switched to vegetarian, and then a year later to pescatarian, which is where I'm at now. I do consider eating meat sometimes to see if it's beneficial for me, but tbh my love of animals overrides everytime. BUT I feel fantastic on the paleo diet even without meat, and I make an effort to eat lots of seafood and eggs. My only issue is that fish, prawns, etc are kind of expensive. But yes, you can totally do it without eating much meat, you just need to make sure you have good alternative sources of protein/fat.
    Hi. I agree, it is good on paleo even without the meat, and important not to feel excluded here. If I feel I need meat in future I will try to eat it, but right now I'm happy where I am.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast