Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First 24 hr fast. Question on supplements and exercise. page

canes84 is offline Member

First 24 hr fast. Question on supplements and exercise.

Primal Fuel
    Hi everyone,

I'm doing my first 24 hour fast right now and had a couple of questions. I usually take my vitamins with breakfast (green tea extract, grape seed extract, vitamin d, b12, etc.) because I've been told I'll feel sick if I take them on an empty stomach. Haven't taken them yet since I've got a lot to do today and don't have to much to sit around feeling sick. Advice?

Also, I try to do crossfit 5-6 times a week. Should I plan my 24 hour fast on a rest day or does it not make a difference? I have an active recovery day planned for today. 2-3 mile walk and some jump rope practice... My goal is fat loss (about 15lbs of fat) so I want to do whatever possible to speed up the process.

Thanks everyone!

InSearchOfAbs is offline Senior Member
    I'd skip the supplements for today and then just take them when you DO eat,
    and I'd totally save your fasting day for an active rest day like today.

Crossfit is so agro, you wouldn't want to be in the middle of something
    and bonk.

I lift fasted all the time, but it's definitely NOT a metabolic workout like Xfit is......

Julie

Goldsmith is offline Senior Member
    On days when I fast I skip my supplements (Multi-Vitamin, D3, and Fish Oil).

As far as your workout, I will generally try to plan my fasts around being able to workout at the end of them.
    "Canned food is a perversion,' Ignatius said. 'I suspect that it is ultimately very damaging to the soul."
    - John Kennedy Toole (A Confederacy of Dunces)

Sounds good. Thanks for the advice!!

otzi Guest
    I think it's a good thing to skip supps every now and then.

Another question for you guys - how much should I eat when I end my fast? A regular size portion or more if I'm hungrier than usual?? I feel like this is a really dumb question but I've been reading what some people eat when they break their fasts and it's an insane amount of food.

Go Tribe is offline Senior Member
    As for your first question, I take my meds and my supplements on fast days - I've never had a problem with them. So I think its a personal choice on what they do to you when you take them normally. As for question #2, I eat whatever I feel like eating. Its not like you've been fasting for a week. By the way, I've been fasting every Tuesday for about 3 months now - the next day I feel unusually great. I also have circuit trained on my fast days with no issues - if I recall correctly, Mark Sisson likes to workout on fasting days too...
    Started 9/15/11 at 323 pounds
    2/16/13 at 241 pounds
    Goal is 223 pounds or less

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by canes84 View Post
    Another question for you guys - how much should I eat when I end my fast? A regular size portion or more if I'm hungrier than usual?? I feel like this is a really dumb question but I've been reading what some people eat when they break their fasts and it's an insane amount of food.
    I'd start with a small meal and go from there. While people who are used to fasting sometimes consume immense amounts, it makes some people uncomfortable, so take it slow, but don't worry about eating plenty.

ChefGrok is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by canes84 View Post
    I just eat until I'm satisfied, which usually turns out to be just a regular meal. I'm always famished when I'm ending the fast, but my stomach and my brain always win halfway through the meal... darn it.

otzi Guest
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    If I fast for 18 hours, like I do every day, my first meal is anywhere from 200 cals (a can of sardines) to 1000 cals (Big-ass Salad w/meat and fruit), but usually somewhere inbetween. If I fast for 24 hours, my first meal is usually 1500-2500 calories (lots of meat and veg, coconut oil, carbs). If I fast for 36 hours, that means I skipped a lunch and a supper, so my first meal will be in the morning. In this case, I eat a huge omelette, 10 pieces of bacon or some sausage, a piece of fruit, and some cheese. Probably 1000-1500 calories total.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast