Page 4 of 38 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Cholesterol - A Primer (Attempt 2) page 4

LibbyMN Guest

Fantastic post - thanks so much! I had no idea about the Iranian equation or the three ratios.

Two comments...

1. You translated atherosclerotic as "athero" (artery) "sclerotic" (hardening). According to Taber's medical dictionary, "athero" comes from the Greek for gruel or porridge, and the prefix now generally refers to fatty plaques. Porridge-filled arteries is a lovely image, isn't it?

2. In reference our to our body repairing artery walls, you said "Normally, it will repair them with saturated fat and protein, which is what cell walls [membranes ;-) ] are made of, but if we're not eating those things, the body can't produce them out of thin air, so it sends cholesterol in as a stopgap measure." You seem to imply that we must get dietary SFAs and amino acids. But our livers and adipocytes are actually pretty good at making SFAs - that's how we store excess carbohydrates as fat.

Thanks for a good primer - I'm definitely filing this away for future reference!

AnnTheRockBiter is offline Junior Member

Follow up to the how to improve your HDL:

I asked because I've gotten a friend around to doing PB for better than 6 months but he still hasn't been able to boost his HDL number. I don't know what his specific numbers are just that he was interested in knowing if there was anything he could do to get a better number, so, since we were talking about cholesterol anyways I figured I'd ask a general question and see what people said. Sorry I didn't give the backstory the first time around.

erik.cisler is offline Junior Member

Ann - Vitamin D supplementation, regular exercise, and saturated fat intake usually increase HDL.

eschenck Guest

This is great information. I have one question though...

"The Friedewald equation assumes that anything that isn't HDL or triglycerides is LDL. ...the "leftover" number in the equation gets attributed to LDL, and that's really misleading."

If the leftover number isn't all LDL, what can it be attributed to?

Griff is offline Senior Member

Eric: There's other stuff in a lipid panel sample besides HDL, trigs, and LDL - for example, VLDL shows up there too. But they don't count that in their computations.

Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

ChrisJ is offline Member

Thanks for this Griff, I feel much better informed now!

My closest friend is a final year medical student, who is convinced that I am going to kill myself by eating huge amounts of saturated fat, some of it from drinking lots of cream. He has tried persuading me that I will develop atherosclerosis if I don't slow down on the cream soon (which I intend to as soon as I reach my weight goal, mostly to reduce lactose intake.)

I've promised those around me that I will have a blood panel done in a few months, to reassure them that I'm still healthy despite my fat intake, and now I feel a bit more prepared for when that time comes.

Apparently I suck at life, so I'm crowd-sourcing my decisions, and sharing what I learn.

My fresh start in London

thekauz Guest

Need a little hand holding here. I'm new to PB, I've been on the program 2 month and have lost something close to 20 lbs. I'm still tweaking the eating and getting better all the time.

I had a lipid panel done last week and got the numbers back. Not great but gives me more reason to do better.

Cholesterol...270

Trigs.............170

HDL...............40

LDL, Calculated.196

I guess I need to sit down and take a hard look at what and how I eat.

If anyone has any suggestions or if you need to slap me around I'm open.

Nekurahn is offline Junior Member

@thekauz, I'd start with the basics: drinking around 2L of water per day and getting enough vitamin D, either from the sun or Sperti lamp.

Griff is offline Senior Member

Looks like you're eating too many starchy veggies and probably fruit. Trigs are caused by carbohydrates in the diet. Cut back on those and you should see an improvement in both trigs and LDL.

Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

hfox is offline Junior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

This is fantastic, Griff. My sincere thanks.

Page 4 of 38 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast