Page 32 of 38 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 ... LastLast

Thread: Cholesterol - A Primer (Attempt 2) page 32

Barb is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Kilian View Post
    My doctor didn't know what a VAP test is, so I'll have to find somewhere else to get that done if necessary.
    Here is a link to an article that explains the importance of knowing particle size: http://www.centerforpreventivemedici..._messenger.pdf Hope it helps!

thegreatgumbino is offline Junior Member
    Been primal/low carb for a year. I had my cholesterol checked on Saturday (4/14/12) and the nurse asked if I was taking Vitamin C before we started. I'd been taking high doses for a couple days because I was feeling run down. She said it would throw off my total cholesterol reading up to 10 points higher. Anyone ever heard of this? I can't find anything to confirm this online. I should have asked how long the spike lasts once you stop taking Vitamin C. I'm also confused as I thought Vitamin C helped lower cholesterol? Readings from Saturday:

Total 255
    HDL 69
    LDL didn't register on the hand held unit. Makes sense as the Trig's were so low.
    Trig 50

Not concerned with my levels other than I'm trying to get a new life insurance policy. Their policy is Total < 220 is excellent and Total < 250 is good. Higher the cholesterol, the higher the rates.

Interesting note is that I originally had my cholesterol tested by the insurance company on 2/11/12 and my values were the following:

Total 295
    HDL 77.4
    LDL 201 (unknown for sure how they calculated this, but assuming it is incorrect due to the low Trigs.
    Trig 79
    Last edited by thegreatgumbino; 04-16-2012 at 08:35 AM.

Arsalg is offline Junior Member
    Just want to say your article is as astonishing. The clearness in your post is simply nice and i can assume you're an expert on this subject. Well with your permission let me to grab your feed to keep updated with forthcoming post. Thanks a million and please continue the enjoyable work.

thegreatgumbino is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by thegreatgumbino View Post
    Been primal/low carb for a year. I had my cholesterol checked on Saturday (4/14/12) and the nurse asked if I was taking Vitamin C before we started. I'd been taking high doses for a couple days because I was feeling run down. She said it would throw off my total cholesterol reading up to 10 points higher. Anyone ever heard of this? I can't find anything to confirm this online. I should have asked how long the spike lasts once you stop taking Vitamin C. I'm also confused as I thought Vitamin C helped lower cholesterol? Readings from Saturday:

Total 255
    HDL 69
    LDL didn't register on the hand held unit. Makes sense as the Trig's were so low.
    Trig 50

Not concerned with my levels other than I'm trying to get a new life insurance policy. Their policy is Total < 220 is excellent and Total < 250 is good. Higher the cholesterol, the higher the rates.

Interesting note is that I originally had my cholesterol tested by the insurance company on 2/11/12 and my values were the following:

Total 295
    HDL 77.4
    LDL 201 (unknown for sure how they calculated this, but assuming it is incorrect due to the low Trigs.
    Trig 79
    Went in for a VAP two weeks ago today (4/28):

Total 268
    HDL 67
    LDL 168 (LDL is 70% Type A)
    Trigs 59

Here's the interesting thing. I didn't change anything about my diet/habits during the last two weeks except 1) had to go on bed rest for 5 days due to an ear issue and 2) started taking the Serrapeptase digestive enzyme which supposedly helps lower cholesterol, specifically LDL. I went in today (5/12) and had a total cholesterol test done and it was 208! Dropped 60 points in two weeks!! Nice....

thunter is offline Junior Member

Thanks for the post. I just got bloodwork done and here are results.

I'm 53 yo male, 5'11" 163 # in pretty good shape, low bodyfat.
    Total Chol. was 251, HDL was 83, LDL was 159 and trigs were 44. By the Iranian calculator I was at 130 for ldl so o think I'm fine?
    Blood sugar 94, psa .86

Any comments are appreciated.

albinorosy is offline Junior Member

Primal Diet effects on existing heart disease

Wow amazing thread.
    just finished reading thru 32 pages and am hopeful someone can shed a little light. All discussion on this thread regarding cholesterol numbers and primal diet refer to the diet's preventative nature. References here consistently mention cholesterol numbers associated with risk or lack thereof for atheroscerosis.(heart disease)
    Is there any info, research, studies that anyone here is aware of with regards to eating a primal diet (high in dietary cholesteral) for individuals that already have significant heart disease.

Six years ago, At 49 years old, 6' 170lbs and an athlete my entire life, i was the recipient of a large number of coronary stents. Doctors explanation of heart disease given was a (genetic)predisposition to inadequet liver funtion activity (the assumed cause of otherwise healthy active people to not process LDL correctly). And of course was put on statins since then. Recently turned on to a primal life style by my son, i have gone off all meds and truly feel and look great. Told my cardiologist what i was doing and he said Ok until next blood test in 3 months.
    WE all know what the results of that blood test is going to look like in comparison to being on stains prior to eating primal. So i could really use some direction if anyone has some. If Heart disease is present (significant in this case but lets just say knowingly present as a rule), is consuming high levels of dietary cholesteral still an appropriate approach?
    thanks for any input

Kilian is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by albinorosy View Post
    Wow amazing thread.
    just finished reading thru 32 pages and am hopeful someone can shed a little light. All discussion on this thread regarding cholesterol numbers and primal diet refer to the diet's preventative nature. References here consistently mention cholesterol numbers associated with risk or lack thereof for atheroscerosis.(heart disease)
    Is there any info, research, studies that anyone here is aware of with regards to eating a primal diet (high in dietary cholesteral) for individuals that already have significant heart disease.

Six years ago, At 49 years old, 6' 170lbs and an athlete my entire life, i was the recipient of a large number of coronary stents. Doctors explanation of heart disease given was a (genetic)predisposition to inadequet liver funtion activity (the assumed cause of otherwise healthy active people to not process LDL correctly). And of course was put on statins since then. Recently turned on to a primal life style by my son, i have gone off all meds and truly feel and look great. Told my cardiologist what i was doing and he said Ok until next blood test in 3 months.
    WE all know what the results of that blood test is going to look like in comparison to being on stains prior to eating primal. So i could really use some direction if anyone has some. If Heart disease is present (significant in this case but lets just say knowingly present as a rule), is consuming high levels of dietary cholesteral still an appropriate approach?
    thanks for any input
    When you say dietary cholesterol, do you really mean dietary fat? The primal diet isn't necessarily high in cholesterol unless you're eating lots of eggs and liver. It is high in mono/saturated fats though. If that's what you mean, I'm also curious what people have to say about this.

peril is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by albinorosy View Post
    Wow amazing thread.

thanks for any input
    I got a handful of stents on 2009 after a heart attack. My total cholesterol was measured after a couple of days at 5.5 mmol/L and trigs at 1.5 mmol/L. Went on the usual raft of drugs and CW healthy diet (very similar to my diet anyhow) but had various reactions that led me to much reading and taking myself off the drugs. Am completely free of them now. However my cholesterol is high - 6.9mmol/L (HDL 2.4, Trig 0.8) and GP badgers me about it (don't see cardiologist any more).

There is no guarantee that you can keep your cholesterol down by following a primal lifestyle. The big question is do you need to? I'm betting the answer is no and taking specific steps to try reverse the CVD while keeping my blood thin. All of it compatible with primal, including a substantial intake of saturated fats and foods high in cholesterol (eggs, liver, brains). Dietary intake is largely irrelevant anyhow as the liver will compensate.

Check out the link in my sig. Very different outcomes came for the two groups in the study, despite the fact they had similar cholesterol profiles. This means that total cholesterol is largely irrelevant. Medicine has totally failed to get to the root of the cause of CVD. I refuse to let them experiment on me while their efforts are clearly so poor
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

albinorosy is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kilian View Post
    When you say dietary cholesterol, do you really mean dietary fat? The primal diet isn't necessarily high in cholesterol unless you're eating lots of eggs and liver. It is high in mono/saturated fats though. If that's what you mean, I'm also curious what people have to say about this.
    Yes, high in mono/saturated fats as well as high in consumption of eggs, liver, brains, etc..
    My best understanding of a hypothesis via Masterjohn, Lalonde and my own cardiologist is that genetic defects in LDL recepters in the liver are the root problem of plaque build-up in the arteries. To combat one must find a way to:
    1. support healthy LDL recepter site function
    2 Lessen the time LDL is floating around in the blood
    3 Reduce the chance that the LDL will oxidize

All seem in agreement that the best preventative solution is in fact a Paleo Diet. The question remains however, what about those individuals with existing heart disease. No one seems to address this specifically.

Paneristi is offline Member
    just got my results back from the lab
    Should I be concerned at how insanely high my Cholesterol up from Feb 2011

Total CHOLESTERAL 4.42 now 5.51
    HDL CHOL = 1.02 now 1.06
    LDL CHOL = 2.79 now 3.78
    LDL/HDL RATIO = 2.7 now 3.36
    Triglycerides = 1.34 now 1.08
    Total Lipids 6.68

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Page 32 of 38 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 ... LastLast