Page 25 of 38 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast

Thread: Cholesterol - A Primer (Attempt 2) page 25

Primal Fuel
    I am so glad that this post exists. I just got back a whole host of labs, and the only one that came back "abnormal" was my lipid panel, over which my doctor expressed some concern:

Total: 240
    LDL: 167 (or 136, if using the Iranian equation)
    HDL: 62
    Trig: 56

Needless to say I was a little concerned about the notion of being Primal for a year, and yet having elevated cholesterol, but the ratios are all quite good, so you've eased my mind. Now, I get to look forward to going to my followup appointment to discuss the numbers armed with more information than the doctor. And...everything is back to usual.
    Last edited by primitiverenaissance; 09-19-2011 at 12:42 PM.

sstan03 is offline Junior Member
    So I have been on a low carb (Atkins but allow myself more veggies) diet for about 1.5 years. I am switching over to primal (closer look at the meats I eat and include more fruits and cut out processed crap). Blood work from 6 months ago (due to go back shortly) are as follows:
    Cholesterol - 177
    Triglyceride - 97
    HDL - 40
    LDL - 117 (old way of calculating)
    125 (Iranian calculation)

Ratios look to be okay but these results are from me being on meds. I take the following Welchol for Cholesterol, Tricor for high Triglycerides, and Niaspan to help bring up my HDL's.

Thoughts?

peril is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sstan03 View Post
    So I have been on a low carb (Atkins but allow myself more veggies) diet for about 1.5 years. I am switching over to primal (closer look at the meats I eat and include more fruits and cut out processed crap). Blood work from 6 months ago (due to go back shortly) are as follows:
    Cholesterol - 177
    Triglyceride - 97
    HDL - 40
    LDL - 117 (old way of calculating)
    125 (Iranian calculation)

Ratios look to be okay but these results are from me being on meds. I take the following Welchol for Cholesterol, Tricor for high Triglycerides, and Niaspan to help bring up my HDL's.

Thoughts?
    Try a primal whole foods diet for three months then retest. You should be able to get off the meds but you really have to embrace saturated fats and be vigilant against inflammatory foods. No sugar or artificial sweeteners, no nuts or seeds, no grains, no vegetable oils
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

sstan03 is offline Junior Member
    Thanks for your feedback. I will cut the nuts, and i do not do vegetable oils at all. I mainly eat unprocessed meats (not enough fish though) and veggies (out of my garden this summer). I will try to cut out the artificial sweeteners (use it in coffee and tea).

Thanks again for the info.

abstractpersona is offline Senior Member
    If your Triglycerides and HDL were swapped, you'd be all set. You want high HDL and low Trigs.

To up your HDL, eat saturated fats, cook your meats with bacon fat, tallow, lard... coconut oil... To lower your Triglycerides, avoid all carbs except vegetables and fruits. I saw that you use creamer on your coffee, what kind? The best to use for good cholesterol would be heavy cream (not half and half). Take it easy on the fruit unless you exercise lots.

Doing this you should be able to get off those meds.
    Good luck Sean, and let us know how it works :-)
    My smartphone makes me about $100 per month
    Updating my journal again after a 2 year break.

slightlines is offline Junior Member

Discontinuing statin use.

Hello.
    My Dr. has me on Crestor.
    She is adamant that I take it.
    I want to stop.
    Do you know of any protocol for weaning oneself from statins?
    I hear that cold turkey can have consequences.

ash7974 is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by abstractpersona View Post
    Actually, Ash, while your total number went down, your HDL got worse, and your Trigs got worse. That's not good.
    Assuming that the LDL on the first test was mostly pattern A, then your cholesterol was better on the first test.

(Correct me if wrong. I have just read this whole thread out of curiosity, so I'm no expert. Or am I?)

Edit: From what I learned reading this thread, if in your first test, your LDL is mostly pattern A, then your body must have had a huuuuge amount of damage to repair. This makes sense since at the time you were only Primal for 5 months.

Fun thread! I love learning random stuff! :-3
    True, my HDL did drop a bit and Tri went up 0.1 but my ratios are well within the healthy range and both these numbers, to my knowledge, are still decent.

Barb is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by slightlines View Post
    Hello.
    My Dr. has me on Crestor.
    She is adamant that I take it.
    I want to stop.
    Do you know of any protocol for weaning oneself from statins?
    I hear that cold turkey can have consequences.
    I don't know where you heard that. Go ahead and just stop taking them. No adverse reaction from going cold turkey. In fact, your body will make more cholesterol - cholesterol that is needed to make sex hormones and repair cell membranes and keep your nervous system functioning properly. It will also up your level of C0-Q 10 - and you should notice that your energy level improves, your muscles and heart (which is a muscle) function better.

If you had a poor lipid profile - which means LOW HDL and HIGH TG's - you will need to keep your carbs down below 100 and keep eating primal to see these numbers improve. In fact, Crestor does NOTHING to raise HDL or lower TG's.

Remember - it is your body and your health. Your doctor can recommend all she wants, but nobody can force you to take medication. Statins have many adverse effects - and have proven to have only small benefits in reducing heart attaclks in MEN who have previously had some kind of heart disease. There is very little risk in discontinuing them, even if you do fall into that category. You get much better health bang for your buck in following a clean prmal diet - eliminating grains, sugars, and processed foods will do you enormously more good than taking a statin.

to your health!

MikkiB is offline Senior Member
    .sigh. I'm getting prepared to fight my doc about statins again -- my latest cholesterol test:

Total = 302
    HDL = 72
    NON-HDL = 206
    TRIG = 122

My ratios look fine: Total/HDL=4.2 (<5), TRIG/HDL = 1.7 (<2), but I know my doc will just look at the total and freak. I suppose my defense will be to ask for a followup VAT, although I'm not sure insurance will pay for it right after the first panel...

Barb is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by MikkiB View Post

I suppose my defense will be to ask for a followup VAT, although I'm not sure insurance will pay for it right after the first panel...
    I would guess that because the LDL is so high, it would definitely be justified to find out if it is the dangerous type (small, dense) or the benign type (large, fluffy). Once you and your doctor know, you can be more informed about your cardiovascular risk status. I would also ask for a CRP and homocysteine levels done to assess your level of inflammation - if inflammation is high, you are more at risk as well. If those markers are low, you don't have much to worry about.

Read and think about sharing these articles with your doctor. The first one is about the importance of measuring particle size:

http://www.centerforpreventivemedici..._messenger.pdf

The second article discusses the REAL risk factors for heart disease:

Why Cholesterol May Not Be the Cause Of Heart Disease

Best of luck with all this!

Page 25 of 38 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast