befitby40 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by jsa23 View Post
    First bloodwork since changing my diet:

Total Colesterol: 278
    Triglycerides: 32
    HDL: 87
    LDL 185(Friedewald) or 133(Iranian)

...liking the high HDL and almost-nonexistant triglycerides, not so keen on the LDL numbers, which are higher than ideal even with the Iranian equation. Should I be tweaking my diet to work on improving the LDL, or is this a non-concern based on the high HDL and very low trigs?
    I'm curious as to A) What were your numbers prior to changing diet? B) How long since you've changed your diet?

Thx

Xibit is offline Junior Member
    I had to get a physical done earlier this month which had a cholesterol check in it and I just got the results:

Total 197
    Trigs 50
    HDL 82
    LDL 105 (Friedewald) / 79 (Iranian)

Total/HDL 2.4
    Trig/HDL 0.61
    LDL/HDL 1.3 (Friedewald)
    LDL/HDL 0.96 (Iranian)

Two questions: The doc said my HDL was great, but my LDL was meh. He was most likely talking about the 105, but is there something of an ideal range of LDL to have instead of just an upper limit? Also, do these numbers hint towards what kind of LDL it is or is a VAP the only way to find out?

Barb is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Xibit View Post
    Also, do these numbers hint towards what kind of LDL it is or is a VAP the only way to find out?
    Generally, when people have low trigs and high HDL, the LDL particles are large and fluffy -pattern A - the benign type. Read this article for further info and enlightenment on particle size:

http://www.centerforpreventivemedici..._messenger.pdf

Also, be aware that LDL is measured by VOLUME in these general cholesterol tests. You may have many fewer actual LDL particles because each particle is much larger when it is pattern A. When following a primal diet, your trigs go down and your LDL gets large and fluffy. Your LDL number actually goes UP because of the larger sized particles, not because you are producing more LDL. Think of it this way, 100 baseballs take up a lot less volume than even 50 beach balls. But what would rather have bouncing off the walls of your arteries? Baseballs cause a lot more damage! The only way to measure the number of particles is with a VAP test. But the author of the above article says that is not even necessary if your trigs are low and HDL high - it is basically just a given that under those circumstances that LDL will be large and fluffy.

Xibit is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Barb View Post
    Generally, when people have low trigs and high HDL, the LDL particles are large and fluffy -pattern A - the benign type. Read this article for further info and enlightenment on particle size:

http://www.centerforpreventivemedici..._messenger.pdf

Also, be aware that LDL is measured by VOLUME in these general cholesterol tests. You may have many fewer actual LDL particles because each particle is much larger when it is pattern A. When following a primal diet, your trigs go down and your LDL gets large and fluffy. Your LDL number actually goes UP because of the larger sized particles, not because you are producing more LDL. Think of it this way, 100 baseballs take up a lot less volume than even 50 beach balls. But what would rather have bouncing off the walls of your arteries? Baseballs cause a lot more damage! The only way to measure the number of particles is with a VAP test. But the author of the above article says that is not even necessary if your trigs are low and HDL high - it is basically just a given that under those circumstances that LDL will be large and fluffy.
    Makes sense. Thanks for the the help.

Adrianag is offline Senior Member
    True, this is usually the case, but in my case they were't, based on 2 separate NMR tests a year apart.

Shijin13 is offline Senior Member
    Griff - or any one else experienced w/ reading NMRs can you take a look at the following and give me your thoughts...

LDL-P 1963nmol/L
    LDL-C 218 mg/dl
    HDL-C 71
    Trigs 34
    Total cholesterol 296
    HDL-P (totla) 33.6 umol
    small LDL-P 210 nmol

Large VLDL- P <.07 nmol (guessing this isn't a good thing) Report say VLDL concentration to low to allow determination of VLDL size
    Small LDL-P 210 nmol
    Large HDL-P 14 umol
    LDL Size 21.1
    HDL Size 9.5

LP-IR Score 11

I had a regular Lipid panel run back mid Aug and these were my #
    Cholestorol 299
    Trig 44
    HDL 83
    dLDL 207

When I run the ratios they seem pretty good... I'm just wondering how to interpret the NMR panel... I know why my LDLs are high... High Cortisol, and High Reverse T3 - so I don't have enough Free T3 to convert the LDLs to pregnenolone... my VA doc is going to be working w/me on this - no statins...

Eric5105 is offline Member
    Can anybody make sense of why my Triglycerides are so high?
    My results were:
    Total: 255
    HDL: 52
    LDL: 175
    Trig: 141

Can a sudden change in diet prior to your test affect the results? My weight has stayed the same recently. 5'9" and 155lb, but the results kind of shocked me. I have been eating more bananas and sweet potatoes lately.

ash7974 is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ash7974 View Post
    Hi all

I'm relatively new to primal/paleo having been living it for 5 months. In this time I've lost 10 kgs and have been crossfitting 3 times per week. I've never been fitter and felt better. I basically eat primal with plenty of eggs/lean meat/veges etc/no sugar/diary.

The other day i went to Doctor to have my cholesterol checked for the first time. Like many, i was a little shocked with the results. My Doc basically had a heart attack and stated he hadn't seen numbers that high in 30 years of medicine and wrote out a script for statins and basically said i was about to have a heart attack unless i ate 'healthy' soon and got the LDL number down.

I've read through a lot of information re direct LDL tests, CW docs who can't interpret the numbers etc and am confident that I'm not going to have a heart attack anytime soon. My Trigs are quite low and HDL high and I take heart from the links attached to the original post, however, I am still a little concerned about the numbers and thought i might post them here to get some advice.

LDL 10.6 (409.89)
    HDL 2.1 (81.2)
    Tri 0.7 (62)
    Total 13 (502.7)

I hope the conversions are accurate but are these totals a bit too high? My initial reaction is to cut some sat fats and focus on more lean meats and good fats etc then re test in a month or so.

Your comments would be appreciated.

cheers
    Just a quick update to my last post. Had a re test the other day and here are the results:

Total chol 259
    LDL 185 (friedwald)
    HDl 58
    Tri 70
    Crp normal

Quite a drop in numbers. All i did was dial back some of the sat fat which i was consuming in large quantities and i stopped taking fish oil a couple of weeks before the test. These numbers are more in line with what i was expecting the first time around although im not convinced the drop is due solely to the reduced sat fat intake.

Regardless, very happy with the result and intend on improving my hdl numbers a bit more. My GP, a different one to the first, was quite shocked to say the least. I think he wants to still discuss statins as the numbers are still a fraction high accoring to CW, needless to say that wont be happening!

abstractpersona is offline Senior Member
    Actually, Ash, while your total number went down, your HDL got worse, and your Trigs got worse. That's not good.
    Assuming that the LDL on the first test was mostly pattern A, then your cholesterol was better on the first test.

(Correct me if wrong. I have just read this whole thread out of curiosity, so I'm no expert. Or am I?)

Edit: From what I learned reading this thread, if in your first test, your LDL is mostly pattern A, then your body must have had a huuuuge amount of damage to repair. This makes sense since at the time you were only Primal for 5 months.

Fun thread! I love learning random stuff! :-3
    Last edited by abstractpersona; 09-14-2011 at 11:11 PM.
    My smartphone makes me about $100 per month
    Updating my journal again after a 2 year break.

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Guess I'll join in too!

Primal for 4 1/2 months now, and my doctor ordered a full blood panel, including lipids.

My blood sugar is fine
    GLUCOSE FASTING GLU: 90 mg/dl

My thyroid is fine (assuming I'm reading it right)
    TSH. 7580: 2.03 mIU/l

And here's the cholesterol:
    CHOLEST/HDL RATIO.. CHO/H: 5.39
    CHOLESTEROL CHOL: 237 mg/dl
    HDL* HDL: 44 mg/dl
    LDL NLDL: 179 mg/dl
    TRIGLYCERIDES TRIG: 72 mg/dl

From what I can see, the triglycerides look good, which would be my biggest concern. If I calculate the LDL with the Iranian Method I get 159 instead of 179. It's not great, but I figure it's not bad for not quite 5 months in and still getting rid of internal crap. I am thinking I need more saturated fat, though.

Seriously, they ran 36 different tests, so I'm still looking up what half of them are!
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

Page 24 of 38 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast