Page 23 of 38 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast

Thread: Cholesterol - A Primer (Attempt 2) page 23

jel
    jel is offline Junior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I've been primal for about 2 months. At 31 years old, I feel and look as good as I ever have. However, my recent VAP results are really stressing me out.

Pre-primal (low-fat, high-grain), non-VAP results, April 2011 -
    Total: 266
    LDL: 210
    HDL: 45
    Tri: 55

This is typical of many tests I've had in the last 4 years.

Primal VAP results, July 2011 -
    Total: 422
    LDL: 340
    HDL: 64
    Tri: 61
    apoB100-calc: 209
    Pattern A

On my VAP results, all of my numbers look great, except for LDL and apoB. I'm wondering if my high sat fat diet is not right for me. I do plan on getting another VAP in a few months again to see the trend. I'm afraid that I'm going to worry myself into heart problems just stressing out about these numbers.

faithy22 is offline Member
    I had bloodwork done for a new job back in February. It was just a health screening for my employer, so my doctor hasn't seen the numbers and I don't know how she will interpret them. I've been on/off with my low-carb/primal eating, so the numbers definitely aren't as good as they could be. I'm going for a physical later this month and I'm excited to see how I'm doing. I'm definitely going to ask for a VAP test and a complete panel with my vitamin data and all that good stuff.

Here are my results from February. LDL was calculated using the Friedewald equation, so I've calculated it with the Iranian just for comparisons. Although the total is slightly high (for CW standards), the numbers look great:

Total: 223
    HDL: 89 (ideal >46)
    Trig: 36 (ideal <150)
    LDL: 127 (Friedewald) or 87 (Iranian) (ideal <130)
    Total/HDL: 2.5 (ideal <4.4)
    Trig/HDL: 0.4 (ideal <2.0)
    LDL/HDL: 1.4(Friedewald) or 1.0 (Iranian) (ideal <4.3)

I'm loving these numbers!!! Thanks so much Griff for putting this together

kristiashley is offline Senior Member
    So glad to have read this, another big thanks for the post and all the time you put into it.

I went primal Jan 2010 and over the course of that year my cholesterol actually dropped by 40 points. My test last week shows it back up 60 points. I'm not bothered by the numbers, but am curious as to the radical changes.

My LDL was calculated with the Friedewald calc and the lab refused to do the VAP. So frustrating. Either way, my ratios are awesome! I didn't bother arguing with the nurse about the low fat, high fiber diet she recommended. I will be getting the VAP though regardless and never considered statins. I am thankful to have this info to give my family so they can stop worrying. My mom has high cholesterol and has had a heart attack so anytime anyone has high cholesterol they freak a bit.

spencer92291 is offline Junior Member
    my total 420 HDL is 92, LDL is 316, triglycerides are 62, am I ok?

befitby40 is offline Senior Member

Calculator / Excel

I made a spreadsheet that will calculate LDL and the ratios for you, if anyone is interested.

Download here (can't attach Excel file in forum apparently): http://befitby40.com/wp-content/uplo...and-Ratios.xls

Note: It was made in Google docs, so opening in Excel, openoffice, etc may not look right. See screenshot above to adjust

wilson1926 is offline Junior Member
    Hi Griff.......thanks for the wonderful info...I do have a question, I was reading somewhere that the total cholesterol is not that important but the hdl and ldl ratios are the important thing.I'm starting to eat 3 tablespoons of coconut oil/day. My question is this.......will it raise my total cholesterol? It is supposed to raise hdl and lower the ldl......Your thoughts please
    Michael

jsa23 is offline Senior Member
    First bloodwork since changing my diet:

Total Colesterol: 278
    Triglycerides: 32
    HDL: 87
    LDL 185(Friedewald) or 133(Iranian)

...liking the high HDL and almost-nonexistant triglycerides, not so keen on the LDL numbers, which are higher than ideal even with the Iranian equation. Should I be tweaking my diet to work on improving the LDL, or is this a non-concern based on the high HDL and very low trigs?

peril is offline Senior Member
    jsa23, I recently got similar results, though your trigs are much lower. Frankly, I'm not sure if this is a problem or not. Ratois are good and the LDL is almost certainly pattern A so shouldn't be any worry. Trouble is that its hard to find a physician who won't just look at the total and be concerned. I'm just going to hold the line for at least six months and see if it changes. I have a suspicion that my body is producing LDL for good reason and that when its finished the liver will ease up and blood LDL decline
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

IcarianVX is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by befitby40 View Post
    I made a spreadsheet that will calculate LDL and the ratios for you, if anyone is interested.

Download here (can't attach Excel file in forum apparently): http://befitby40.com/wp-content/uplo...and-Ratios.xls

Note: It was made in Google docs, so opening in Excel, openoffice, etc may not look right. See screenshot above to adjust
    Wow - thanks for this.
    People too weak to follow their own dreams will always try to discourage others.

Adrianag is offline Senior Member
    I have been fighting high cholesterol for years and expected it to decline with 18+ months of low carb primal diet. Not! Copper supplements- not! Grapefruit pectin-not! And on and on...

The odd thing was, I have good HDL and good triglycerides which typically are not companions of high small LDL.

Interestingly, I just got lab work back showing that I have a severe candida overgrowth. Guess what? High cholesterol and candida go hand in hand. For more information read Candidiasis disorders: high cholesterol, bowel, autoimmune, neuro-developmental. I was fortunate to have been able to get an in person consult with Jack Kruse and between him and a good local doc he referred me to we hope to get a handle on this.

Page 23 of 38 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast