Page 15 of 38 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: Cholesterol - A Primer (Attempt 2) page 15

Griff is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    hsvendblad: Your insurance company is going to be idiotic (because they won't make money off you if they can't penalize you for those fantastic numbers and ratios) but their opinion on this really means nothing, because they're operating on information that's over fifty years out of date.
    Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

hsvendblad is offline Junior Member
    Thanks Griff! Nice to hear that you think these are "fantastic numbers and ratios", means a whole lot and I will sleep better.... I'll follow up on how my insurance battle goes and I'll also share my VAP once I get the results in case anyone else is interested.

Monty is online now Senior Member
    Griff,

Just got my results in (for life insurance) and I'm kinda iffy on them. First of all, these were taken after my first week of eating primal. One thing I am happy about is my trig #'s are way lower than 3 years ago (they were in excess of 300!).

Here we go.

Total = 192
    HDL = 38.2
    LDL = 123.6 cal'd
    Trig = 151

Total/HDL = 5.03 (on the brink)
    Trig/HDL = 3.95 (this one worries me)
    LDL/HDL = 3.24

I plan on getting these re-done after about 6 months (currently at 6 weeks). Any advice on increasing the HDL? Since I am keeping my carbs very low, most days less than 50g (except for the occasional 3 or 4 beers in one afternoon), I would assume that my Trigs will continue to decrease, making that Trig/HDL ratio a lot better.

By the way, this thread is awesome. I like how you broke it down and explained why the ratios are more important than the actual numbers alone. Makes it easy to understand too.

I'd appreciate any advice or input you have. Thanks.

Adrianag is offline Senior Member
    A must-read thread for anybody concerned about their cholesterol numbers. Thanks.

svelting is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Monty View Post
    I plan on getting these re-done after about 6 months (currently at 6 weeks). Any advice on increasing the HDL? Since I am keeping my carbs very low, most days less than 50g (except for the occasional 3 or 4 beers in one afternoon), I would assume that my Trigs will continue to decrease, making that Trig/HDL ratio a lot better.
    I'm not Griff; however you should see an improvement after 6 months of eating little to no grains and legumes. Dr. Wm Davis of Heart Scan Blog notes that he has seen tremendous improvement in HDL in patients taking vitamin D3. His post on HDL & D3.

For dosing of D3: based on her readings, cillakat suggests people to take 1000 IU D3 (cholecalciferol) per 25 lbs body weight. (in oil in gel capsules or as a liquid preferred) To read more about Vitamin D3, check out the Vitamin D thread

Monty is online now Senior Member
    Svelting...Thanks for the information.

Mica is offline Member
    Ok, so my doctor accidentally tested my cholesterol (I'm 28 years old). We discovered:

(Canadian #s ---> converted using appropriate 38.67 or 89 conversion factor)
    Total 6.81 ---> 263
    Trigs 0.36 ---> 32
    HDL 2.05 ---> 79
    LDL 4.60 ---> 178
    Chol/HDL Ratio 3.32

Now when I add up the HDL, LDL, and trigs I get a higher number than 263; I take it that means my LDL was measured (not calculated)?
    Also, I'm not paleo/primal. BUT, I do not eat grains (for 6 months strictly, less strictly for the 4 years prior to that), no junk/processed food. I just like my nuts and fruit too much to call myself properly primal - I haven't made it a priority to dedicate myself (though now I think I want to). So, is there any need to be wondering over these numbers? My total cholesterol is higher than my mother's (she's 55 and her TC was around 5.3, LDL of 2.77).

Ratios:
    Total/HDL = 3.32
    Trig/HDL = 0.41
    LDL/HDL = 2.25

I guess those are good then ? My doc seemed somewhat amused that a 28 year old female, BMI 22.0 would have such high numbers, but basically left it at retesting in a year. ???

Quote Originally Posted by marcadav View Post
    I read on about.com's thyroid board about LDL and total cholesterol being higher if fish oil was taken within 3 days of the test.
    Is there a source for that?

----------------------------

edited to add:

Ok so I played around with the numbers and equations:

Sure enough using Friedewald my LDL works out to 178, but using Iranian my LDL works out to 128. A 50-point drop!
    How is that even possible?!

And still wondering about that fish oil comment - most websites seem to say fish oil will help lower your cholesterol, I take 3-4 tsp everyday so if fish oil were going to have an effect I think at my dosage (around 5-6g of omega-3's) would do it. Would like to know if this should affect things up or down!
    Last edited by Mica; 12-07-2010 at 10:54 AM. Reason: Updating :)

profdjj is offline Senior Member
    Just got my annual labs back and here's my numbers...

Total = 298 (up from 238 last year)
    HDL = 130 (up from 50 last year)
    LDL = 149 (up from 90 last year)
    Trig = 96 (think that's down from last year but can't remember)

Ratios
    Total/HDL = 2.29 (should be < 5)
    Trig/HDL = 0.74 (should be < 2)
    LDL/HDL = 1.15 (should be < 4.3)

So, while I'm a little freaked out about the total, I think the ratios are great and I love the HDL number.

I did find that I'm not converting enough T3 so I'm on a new thyroid med, Cytomel.

Hector is offline Junior Member
    Got the standard lipid profile from my physical:

156 Total
    51 HDL
    79 Trig

This is somewhat amazed given the amount of butter and coconut oil I consume (I do go a bit high on carbs - love starchy tubers too much). My doc just chocks it up to good genetics, but I'm wondering if something else isn't at work as to why my profile looks so 'traditionally' good.

slesca is offline Senior Member
    Rural midwest; just outside a mid-sized city
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Just got tested for life insurance. I've been worse about the "no sugar" thing for the past two months than I have ever been for the past 1.5 years. I wish I had the numbers from September or so. But, here it is:

Total: 224 (just barely in their "normal" range)
    Trig: 44
    HDL: 58 (marked "high")
    LDL: 157 (their calc) (marked "high")
    LDL using the Iranian formula: 137

Ratios:
    Total/HDL = 3.9
    LDL/HDL= either 2.7 or 2.3, depending on which LDL # I use
    Trig/HDL = .76

Page 15 of 38 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast