Thread: Beef: what would you choose among these options?? page

fra0039 is offline Member

Beef: what would you choose among these options??

Hey, I am currently in Germany (Bavaria) and have some problems finding good quality beef. And as I am eating loads of it since going primal, this is bothering me. So pls help me, these are my options, which one would you pick:

- Organic beef from Germany, from the supermarket
    - Beef from Argentina, from the supermarket
    - Beef from the USA, from the supermarket
    - Beef from other European countries (usually France, Ireland or Spain), from the supermarket
    - Beef from a smaller butcher (but no idea about the quality)
    - Veal from Holland, from the supermarket

There would be also Wagyu beef from New Zealand (or Bison from Canada) but this is very expensive so I just buy it for "special occasions"

Thanks!

jak757 is offline Member
    Ask the "smaller butcher" about the beef he (or she) sells. If possible, I like to buy local, and where I am often the local beef is grass fed (not all is). In my parts, the smaller butchers tend to have a better quality product -- hopefully it is the same where you are located.

Let us know what you decide.

John K. North East Ohio -- "Cleveland Groks!"

HeatherNicole is offline Junior Member
    Hi Fra0039, my DH and I have also been looking into this (I'm also in Bavaria, Nürnberg area.)

Have you tried looking at Neuland.de to find a metzgerei in your area that offers grass fed beef? I was lucky to find one a block from me that has very decent sales every week (ie, this week grass feed ground beef for 9.90€/kg, between us 1kg would be 4 meals.)
    I personally would get Irish or Argentinean beef from the supermarket before I would get American beef, and I say that as an American
    Also, as an alternative, my DH and I have been talking about ordering grass fed meat from Devon Rose in the UK, for only around 16€ shipping (but maybe just once a month.)

Hope that helps.
    Last edited by HeatherNicole; 01-25-2012 at 06:11 AM. Reason: doh! I said grain fed beef instead of grass fed beef ;-)

Kate_Tower is offline Member
    Not sure about Bavaria, but here I have researched going in with some friends and buying a half cow from a local farm. Obviously, you have to have room for the amount of beef that you will receive. (We have not solved that problem yet), but that may no be an option for you. I agree with Jak757, I would go to the smaller butcher and talk to them. If they dont have it, they might be able to get it. Plus it is always good to go to a small, local, business. They are usually willing to trim or cut something to your liking and their prices are generally better for what you are buying.

I also would be careful with beef from the USA. Most of our beef here is grain fed not grass fed. It is my understanding that with PB, the optimal choice would be grass fed.

Good Luck!
    KT

catbreu is offline Senior Member
    After living in several different countries, I can honestly and objectively say that American beef is not only the worst tasting, but also the worst quality. Stay far, far, far away from it (unless it is grass-fed, but that is a fraction of the market share).

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by catbreu View Post
    After living in several different countries, I can honestly and objectively say that American beef is not only the worst tasting, but also the worst quality. Stay far, far, far away from it (unless it is grass-fed, but that is a fraction of the market share).
    I agree. I have no experience with beef outside of the USA, but there is NO WAY any country has the infrastructure to "manufacture" beef the way we do. It would have to be of better quality because the industry responsible for degrading the quality so much just isn't available in any other country to the extent it is here. IMO, you'd probably have the best quality beef from the poorest country. I doubt Argentina has massive assembly-line-style confinement feeding facilities jamming genetically modified corn and soy down a cow's unhappy throat. When I think Argentina, I think of a small farm with a lower middle class family working their ass off. Argentina's probably giving you pastured beef, and in the worst case they're probably finished in a more humane way if they aren't 100% pastured. I buy with price in mind, so if the Argentinian beef is reasonable, I'd go with that.

But I have no evidence other than this mental process.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    The beef is always better outside the US except for the "good" local US stuff, which is very very good indeed. That has been my consistent experience on every continent I've been to. Argentine beef can be some of the best in the world, and it's the norm to raise 100% on grass, whether it says so on the label or not. Euro beef is usually not fed GMO, usually organic / minimal antibiotics, but not always 100% pasture fed.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I used to work in a manufacturing software company. The Japanese auto-makers are known for driving the prices from their suppliers down by demanding better quality for the same price. The US auto-makers are known for driving the prices from their suppliers down by demanding lower prices, period. That's our culture. All we care about is price. That's why a primal diet is so revolutionary for us.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs