Thread: Hard coconut fat page

billp is offline Senior Member

Hard coconut fat

Primal Fuel
    What do people think of this stuff: "hard coconut fat". There is a picture of it in that link

http://www.lebensmittel.de/productpi...00/1281672.jpg

I bought some in a supermarket the other day. They didn't sell any coconut oil but they did sell those blocks of hard fat. How healthy is it? Is it a direct substitute for coconut oil?

The label says "Coconut Fat, pure plant oil. Unhardened." I think unhardened means non-hydrogenated, and that is how Google translate renders "ungehärtet" (German likes to add 'ge' prefixes to words for the past tense)
    Last edited by billp; 01-25-2012 at 02:18 PM.

Any ideas anyone? This stuff:

It tasted fine when I made fried eggs this morning. Is it the same a coconut oil with the same health benefits?

IvyBlue is offline Senior Member
    I don't see how it could not soften at around 75-80 degrees fahrenheit if it was not hydrogenated. Coconut butter/milk/oil will soften/liquefy/clarify at a relatively low temperature. Perhaps it was hard simply because it's cold where you are or the store is holding it in a refrigerated case. You fried eggs in it so it had to have melted at some point. I keep my oil in a stove w/ a pilot light or else it would be rock solid this time of year.

FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions - Tropical Traditions

There really should be no reason to hydrogenate it anyway because it keeps w/o doing it.
    Wheat is the new tobacco. Spread the word.

I *think* "ungehaertet" means non-hydrogenated. It is definitely hard at room temperature, although my kitchen is 55F-60F during the day. I didn't refrigerate it and it stayed as hard as when it was in the fridge.

As an experiment I can keep it in this room where it is a bit warmer and see what happens.

ChefGrok is offline Senior Member
    My coconut oit is solid at around 70 degrees F.