Thread: Nutrition Pre & Post Surgery for Optimal Recovery page

vantheman is offline Junior Member

Nutrition Pre & Post Surgery for Optimal Recovery

Primal Fuel
    Hello everyone,

Short:
    What specific food and nurtrition should I be consuming before and after hand surgery for an optimal recovery?

Long:
    This is my first post. As of the new year I have been following the Primal Blueprint 100%. Not a single grain or simple sugar has since been consumed.

When I was 18 I broke my scaphoid by punching a wall and though the bone healed fine, the ligament had been torn causing severe instability in my thumb CMC joint. Seven years later and with the "joint of a 60 year old" I am undergoing surgery to fuse my bones together.

I will be in a cast for roughly two months, followed by six months of fairly intense physiotherapy. In theory, I will be able to lead a normal life with a strong hand. The only downside is slightly reduced range of motion and dexterity in my thumb.

I've gone preemptively gone primal in attempts to optimize the healing process and recovery. I intend to keep going at 100% at least until I have my cast off and am feeling a bit better, at which point I will switch to the standard 80%. My question is: are there any specific foods/nutrients that I should be focusing on or avoiding during this time?

Thanks everyone,

G

withorwithoutbacon is offline Junior Member
    It's a shame no one responded to this. Do you have an update? Did you find foods that helped? I have to have a bone fusion surgery in my neck in two weeks and am hoping to find some advice about post-surgery nutrition for the bone fusion, the muscle loss and minimizing the scar. I would be interested to hear how you recovered.

-John

turquoisepassion is offline Senior Member
    Avoid: inflammation causing foods... Omega 6 sources, grains (obviously), etc.
    Eat after: tons of nutritional foods. Try not to stress about this too much. If it was me I would personally eat: grassfed dairy/butter, tons of meat and organs, gelatin, some fruit, tons of bone broth, eggs, maybe seafood.

Avoiding grains/processed foods and eating a decent amount of animal parts, which I assume you are doing anyways, is good enough.
    ------
    HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

fainluoba is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    the muscle loss and minimizing the scar. I would be interested to hear how you recovered.