Thread: Cooking with Garam Masala? page

Shelli is offline Senior Member

Cooking with Garam Masala?

Primal Fuel
    Ok, I am lined up to make the Butter Chicken from this site for my son's birthday dinner tomorrow. I've never cooked with garam masala before and most things I've read state to add it at the end of cooking. The recipe from this site has the garam in the yogurt marinade for the chicken.
    Any recommendations? Thanks!

Credodisi is offline Senior Member
    I haven't made the butter chicken from this site, but I have cooked with garam marsala several times. I wouldn't shy away from using it as the recipe recommends.

GrokON is offline Senior Member
    We just made a curry for dinner. We used the Garam Masala at the beginning, and it simmered all the way through the recipe. No issues. You could probably use it however you want. Curry tasted great!
    5'6" Female, 29 Years Old, 260/195/120

"Discipline is choosing between what you want NOW, and what you want MOST!"

Thanks to you both!

DaisyEater is offline Senior Member
    The recipe my husband has used for years (Madhur Jaffrey's, I think) has garam masala in the marinade and it works quite well. When you think of it, the chicken is cooking quite quickly at a high heat. It's also in the butter sauce, but once again, that is a quick cook.

pjgh is offline Senior Member
    Garam Masala just means "hot mixture" - it's a spice blend. Many make up their own spice blends, but this is a good one shot curry blend.
    Put it in at the beginning, even fry it off a little in ghee first before adding the the onion.

Thanks everyone!
    I mixed the spices for the yogurt marinade this morning and I keep going back to take big sniffs. Mmm.

_Wifey_ is offline Junior Member
    I've found that different recipes need the masala used at different times. The green masala I make calls for adding it before cooking, but after sauteing all the other ingredients. Sometimes I throw it in the yogurt I use to marinate the meat, which I find makes it a little less dominate a taste.