Thread: Autoimmune/hypothyroid diet page

lucy1984 is offline Senior Member

Autoimmune/hypothyroid diet

Ok, so I cut night shades out of my diet as per recommendations for people with thyroid/autoimmune
    issues. I did this as part of the Leptin reset (Jack Kruse), 4 weeks in and still no visible results.

Now I've come acros various sites online that say you shouldn't eat cruciferous vegetables if you have a thyorid condition. Can anyone shed any light on this? If this is true then it doesn't leave me with many options vegetable wise ... I hated cutting out tomatoes, capsicums and eggplants, I don't know what I'll do if I also have to cut cabbage, kale, brocolli, cauliflower, roquet (and a whole list of other things that was listed

(Cruciferous Vegetables, pros, cons and list of this vegetable family an example of one of these sites).

Cheers,
    Lucy

onalark is offline Senior Member
    Do a search on goitrogens and hypothyroid on the forums. You'll turn up plenty of talk.

The protocol I'm on is no nightshades, eggs, dairy, or ibuprofen, 30 days. This includes the regular paleo protocol (no grains or legumes). Are you going all-in, or are you still enjoying dairy and eggs on a regular basis?

jkr
    jkr is offline Senior Member
    You do not have to avoid cruciferous veggies. Search Chris Kresser's website, as he has some good info on this.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    I think the cruciferous veggies are only problematic when eaten raw.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by onalark View Post
    Do a search on goitrogens and hypothyroid on the forums. You'll turn up plenty of talk.

The protocol I'm on is no nightshades, eggs, dairy, or ibuprofen, 30 days. This includes the regular paleo protocol (no grains or legumes). Are you going all-in, or are you still enjoying dairy and eggs on a regular basis?
    What is the issue with ibuprofen?
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

DaisyEater is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jammies View Post
    I believe this has to do with its gut irritating properties. If you're trying to heal intestinal permeability, then this could set you back.

onalark is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by jammies View Post
    Good question. I don't know exactly, but every time Mat Lalonde talks about they autoimmune protocol, he brings up ibuprofen. I am assuming aspirin is also lumped into this category. It's hard to say. There's nothing on the googles about this.

I see this from Chris Kresser in a comments thread:
    "It’s possible that NSAIDs could suppress thyroid function via their disruption of eicosanoid signaling."

And since the entire protocol is about "it's possible", I decided to cut it for my 30 days.

I have previously practically lived on ibuprofen (4 a day, back when I had my bad old job, full of stress and headaches), and since quitting there and going primaleo I use much, much less. Cutting it out for a month has mostly been no problemo, except when I yoinked my back doing some bent over rows. I am now wishing I could take me some NSAIDs. :P