Thread: Getting some labwork done (On-line) page

abstractpersona is offline Senior Member

Getting some labwork done (On-line)

Primal Fuel
    Is it possible to get lab work done online without having to go through my GP? I know people can order lab work online, but apparently you must have your GP set it up for you?
    I really don't feel like paying 600 dollars to my GP for doing nothing but sit on his ass while eating Twinkies (just kidding, just kidding...)

I'm in Maine, if it matters.

I want to get:
    TSH + Free t4 + Free t3 + TSI
    Total cholesterol + HDL + Triglicerides
    Or something like that anyway. I'm dirt poor, so I don't want to pay for more than that.

• Also, does anyone know if the recommended lab work for Grave's disease (hyperthyroidism) would be the same as for hypothyroidism?
    • And I know I would still have to go to a clinic and get blood drawn, but that's free of charge, right?

Sorry for the newbie questions, I'm still new to dealing with my health-care on my own.
    Last edited by abstractpersona; 01-24-2012 at 08:27 PM.
    My smartphone makes me about $100 per month
    Updating my journal again after a 2 year break.

EileenC is offline Junior Member
    Yes, you can order your own bloodwork online, print out the orders, and then take them to a designated local lab (often Lab Corp) to do the blood draw. Typically you get your results by email. I do this to manage mine and two of my kids' thyroid disease, because our stupid doctors often won't order the labs we feel we need to see what's really going on, and/or our insurance won't let us check certain numbers because it's "too soon." If you're checking thyroid numbers in particular, go here and get some special deals: Recommended Labwork | Stop The Thyroid Madness. Scroll down, and you'll see several online providers. You'll pay by credit card online, and when you get to the blood draw place they shouldn't charge you anything there. Good luck!

jel
    jel is offline Junior Member
    I've used both of these companies, depending on which has the lowest price at the time. I've had no problems with either. There are other companies, but these two seemed to be the cheapest (at least when I was searching).

Discount Online Blood Chemistry Tests & Results, Wellness & Anti Aging Direct Access Laboratory Testing
    Lab Tests | Order Online and Save up to 60% on Lab Tests

abstractpersona is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EileenC View Post
    print out the orders, and then take them to a designated local lab (often Lab Corp) to do the blood draw.
    Wow, that's it?
    So I would
    1) go to the website and order the labs I want
    2) print out each lab info
    3) go get blood drawn

Unfortunately the closest lab is in Massachusetts, 5 hour drive, and I don't even have a car.. Can't I have blood drawn in a local clinic, and have it sent to the Lab?

I remember when my doc what labwork ordered, his nurse mailed me the lab paperwork, I brought it to a local hospital, had blood drawn, and it was sent down to Massachusetts, then results back to my doc.
    (It was Quest Diagnostics)
    If I can do that but bypass the doc/nurse, it would be great.

our insurance won't let us check certain numbers because it's "too soon."
    When I first got diagnosed with Grave's disease, I was put on a very strong dose of anti-thyroid drugs, and started feeling really BAD hypothyroid symptoms.. yet the next time I was scheduled for blood work was 3 months later. EEK! I probably would be completely Hypo by then... crazy doctor! I definitely believe you!

If you're checking thyroid numbers in particular, go here and get some special deals: Recommended Labwork | Stop The Thyroid Madness.
    I've linked to that page already on my first post, but I was wondering if the recommended lab-work would be the same if I am HYPER-thyroid, not HYPO.
    Last edited by abstractpersona; 01-25-2012 at 03:50 PM.
    My smartphone makes me about $100 per month
    Updating my journal again after a 2 year break.

EileenC is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Astract, I don't know about going to a hospital to have the blood drawn. Typically these online labs have prior arrangements with Lab Corps (or other multi-state labs). You could always call their customers service number and ask. I don't know what tests you need if hyper, but I imagine many of them will be the same.