Thread: Fat Distribution page

spintu is offline Junior Member

Fat Distribution

Primal Fuel
    Hey

Not sure where this should go..

Just want to share a mild concern I have regarding my goals with fat/muscle, and see what people have to say - what I can expect etc.

Having recently gone primal for health reasons, I'm also looking at weight loss/muscle gain - something I have ignored forever because I never thought I could do much better (I'm already a healthy weight). Hearing lots of success stories has made me re-consider...

My complaint is basically down to having so much fat around my hips/stomach/bum - while my extremities are very thin. If I lose more fat my arms and face start looking too thin very easily while I still have piles of fat elsewhere. That is, as far as things have gone in the past.

Can I expect anything different on a primal diet? I will be working to gain muscle as well. I'm not entirely sure how this will affect the issue.

I'm 5' 11" - 153 lbs. - female - 28 years old

Thanks in advance

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Muscle will easily thicken your limbs, yes.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

weird fish is offline Senior Member
    That sort of fat distribution points to excess estrogen and stress hormones. Have you been under a lot of stress, sleep deprived, eaten lots of sugar? Ever used birth control pills?

Quote Originally Posted by weird fish View Post
    That sort of fat distribution points to excess estrogen and stress hormones. Have you been under a lot of stress, sleep deprived, eaten lots of sugar? Ever used birth control pills?
    That's very interesting. Yes to stress and sugar, no to the others.

banananutmuffin is offline Senior Member
    My fat is distributed similarly: mostly around my abs though, a little less deposited on my rear end. My limbs tend to be thin - always have been.

Definitely strength train. I am a hard gainer, but I do notice significant difference in my arms pretty fast with just things like pushups and tricep dips.
    Female, 40 yrs old, 5', 120 lbs (post-pregnancy)
    Went Primal January 2, 2012!

Paleo Cooking for Cavekids cookbook

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    Haha, I'd be more than happy to loan you some fat from my arms and legs. I have a relatively trim torso, OK ass and then the worlds fattest arms and stout legs. When I strength train, I build muscle under my arm fat. Like my shirts now are all very loose in the torso, but then tighter than ever in the arms. Thank god, I'm maintaining my boobs. Even my legs seem to slim out before my arms do. I may get some lipo in the arms.... Like I have the arms of a 300lb woman. It's annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by banananutmuffin View Post
    Definitely strength train. I am a hard gainer, but I do notice significant difference in my arms pretty fast with just things like pushups and tricep dips.
    I guess that's one thing I'm looking forward to finding out... will be able to see muscle changes in my arms easy enough.

Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    Haha, I'd be more than happy to loan you some fat from my arms and legs. I have a relatively trim torso, OK ass and then the worlds fattest arms and stout legs. When I strength train, I build muscle under my arm fat. Like my shirts now are all very loose in the torso, but then tighter than ever in the arms. Thank god, I'm maintaining my boobs. Even my legs seem to slim out before my arms do. I may get some lipo in the arms.... Like I have the arms of a 300lb woman. It's annoying.
    Haha. Deal.

It's very annoying indeed.

Ayla is offline Senior Member
    Spintu, I feel your pain. I also have thin arms and legs but still a big belly. I've lost 30 lbs. on primal, but the belly has not gone away (and I've been on a weight-loss plateau for over a year, but remaining very healthy). I am tackling this now by quitting birth control pills (last week), cutting way down on nuts and dairy, and trying to do more pushups and sprints.
    28, female, 5'2"
    Went primal 7/28/10: 154 lbs.
    1/12/12: 135 lbs.
    Goal: 120 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Ayla View Post
    Spintu, I feel your pain. I also have thin arms and legs but still a big belly. I've lost 30 lbs. on primal, but the belly has not gone away (and I've been on a weight-loss plateau for over a year, but remaining very healthy). I am tackling this now by quitting birth control pills (last week), cutting way down on nuts and dairy, and trying to do more pushups and sprints.

Aww. Yeah it is a pain. For now I've decided it's a big enough chore just to cut out grains so I'll see how I balance out after a while and then consider other changes.

I can't do a single pushup, never have - so that's another thing that will be great to work towards.

Good luck with your endeavours!

Ianb is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Gary Taubes talks about this in his new book on P 85. Dr Wolfgang Lutz also in his 'World Without Bread' book.