Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anybody coming from vegetarian/vegan diet? page

Fruity33 is offline Junior Member

Unhappy Anybody coming from vegetarian/vegan diet?

Shop Now
    Hi,

Today was my first day in over 4 years eating meat.. anybody in this situation? and most importantly, does it get easier?

I don't think it's normal to cry over preparing, cooking and eating meals. lol. At least that's never happened to me before.

I had to switch over because I have been feeling "off" for months, if not a year on a vegetarian diet (been vegan and raw vegan on/off throughout those 4 years as well).

tbh, I didn't think I was ever going to go back to meat, but my health is 'kind' of important so I'm trying to find out why I've been feeling so tired all the time.

Originally I went veg to feel better mentally as I also suffer from depression. Also struggled with "chubbiness" hehe. After a while I started caring about the animals, etc. The only consolation is that the meat I bought is good quality, organic and free-range.

I hope someone can help me, reassure me that in fact it does get easier. I would really like to give this lifestyle a fair chance.

Thank you!

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    I never was a vegan/vegetarian, but yes, it's normal to cry the first time you cook meat in that case. You're making a huge switch, not just in the food you eat but also in your whole mindset. Being a vegetarian, and especially being vegan, isn't like being on a regular diet. It's more of a lifestyle, kind of like how Primal is.

If you're concerned about treatment of animals, then eating free range is perfect. And there are A LOT of ex-vegetarians and vegans on this site, so you'll probably get quite a few chiming in.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Instead of guilt, try feeling gratitude!

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

banananutmuffin is offline Senior Member
    I was vegetarian for many years, and vegan for a few more after that.

Truth be told, I didn't cry the first time I cooked meat. I was so damn hungry for some meat that I just scarfed it down. I really really really missed meat. I was a vegetarian for ethical/misguided-health reasons, but I had always loved the taste and texture of meat.

I admit that I still sometimes feel pangs of guilt when I eat meat, though. Like Knifegill mentioned, I do try to approach it with an air of gratitude rather than guilt, when possible. Despite the primal thing, I will choose humanely raised over grass fed most of the time. (But believe me, this doesn't stop me from munching down a burger or steak at the local red meat restaurant, whatever it may be.)
    Female, 40 yrs old, 5', 120 lbs (post-pregnancy)
    Went Primal January 2, 2012!

Paleo Cooking for Cavekids cookbook

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Just the other night my gf and I were at a Thai place. I make it a point to always order animals I don't get to eat often when given the chance, so I ordered duck, she went with shrimp. Halfway through her meal she stopped, I asked what was the matter, she said "I don't think I can eat shrimp anymore. It bothers me that I'm basically eating an entire animal in a single bite." I told her "well, shrimp probably eat plankton or something, that's a whole animal in a single bite and I assure you the shrimp doesn't think twice about it." She maintained that while she was perfectly aware of that, she just felt a little off and prefers eating "part of the animal, not the whole thing" so she'll continue to eat other, bigger animals, but not shrimp. I don't really care, I know she won't ever go vegetarian, but even meat eaters have issues with certain meat eating.

I have no idea what being a vegetarian is like, but everything you practice gets easier, so keep on eating.

spintu is offline Junior Member
    Yeah I was a vegetarian for the last year - for 'health' reasons and then like another poster said - inevitably ended up reading/watching a lot about the ethical reasons which had an affect on me. I still have a hard time with a bit of guilt. For me it was hard to eat meat as I actually found the idea of it disgusting after so long. If it's something you do want to do you will adjust to it but give yourself time.

Issabeau is offline Senior Member
    I tried vegetarian and couldn't even maintain for more than 4 weeks, I passed out on a hard floor, waking up wasn't fun.

I then made the deicision that I will only buy meat that came from a 'humane' place, which as far as I know now, it a misleading label, too. All I ever bought was muscle meat.

Now, 2 years into this, I hardly ever eat the muscle. I consume ALL organs, eye lids, lips, brains and eyeballs, you name it, I eat it. I also buy fresh blood and make blood soup regularly. I feel a LOT better mentally knowing nothing of the animal was wasted, not even the skeleton, that's in my freezer ready to be made into gelatin

My husband often cries too when preparing his meats. What he doesn't realize is that buy eating 12 chicken wings he got 6 whole chicken killed. THAT, is a waste...I would probably cry, too.

Also, I thank the animal for sacrificing itself to nourish me so I can be healthy. I have great gratitude. When skinning the legs (butcher gives me the lower leg bone with hoof) I make sure the skin isn't wasted and it goes to my dear dogs, who will then fertilize my backyard with it

I know this all sounds brutal, but by taking in the 'waste products' of a grassfed/finished animal, it makes me feel a ton better mentally knowing I do the right thing, for nature and for myself. My plants love blood so any left over liquids get dumped into the garden.

Thanks everyone, I appreciate all the encouragement.. I decided that I will try this for a couple of months and see how I feel, making some adjustments along the way too.

I will try not to worry about it for now, I mean, I was eating meat up until I was 19 (almost 24 now) and never had a pang of guilt, so a month or two is nothing in comparison, and by the time those couple months pass, I'll be so used to it I won't feel this guilt. HOPEFULLY! (at least not as much) <-- yup, that's my soothing self-talk

Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by Issabeau View Post
    Now, 2 years into this, I hardly ever eat the muscle. I consume ALL organs, eye lids, lips, brains and eyeballs, you name it, I eat it. I also buy fresh blood and make blood soup regularly. I feel a LOT better mentally knowing nothing of the animal was wasted, not even the skeleton, that's in my freezer ready to be made into gelatin
    LOL. Are you TRYING to scare me off?!?

jk, never thought I'd be reading about eating eyeballs, but hey, life is full of surprises. :P

magnolia1973 is online now Senior Member
    I was a vegetarian for about 15 years, some of that vegan. I eased into meat eating- fish for 5 or 6 years, then a month of cold cuts- turkey breast, then well, I was making a pork shoulder. I buy my meat from a local farm where the animals have a pleasant life. It's their purpose to feed us.

It's very hard to eat without impacting other beings, even vegans have an impact.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast