Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Low Triglycerides - Before & After Primal page

waynebw is offline Member

Low Triglycerides - Before & After Primal

Primal Fuel
    Just got my results back for Cholesterol Check, I also did a test before Primal...

Could anyone give feedback on this?
    Triglycerides dropped a lot, and total is up alot.. What does this mean?

Before:
    Total Cholesterol: 127mg/dl (3.3 mmol/L)
    Triglycerides 97mg/dl (1.1 mmol/L)
    HDL Total: 37mg/dl (0.95 mmol/L)
    LDL Total: 55mg/dl (1.43 mmol/L)
    Total/HDL Ratio: 3.5

After:
    Total Cholesterol: 232mg/dl (updated)
    Triglycerides: 35mg/dl (0.4 mmol/L)
    HDL Total: 67mg/dl
    LDL Total: 158mg/dl
    Total/HDL Ratio: 3.4

Note I converted from mmol/L to mg/dL (hope i did it correct!)

Thanks for any feedback!
    Last edited by waynebw; 01-27-2012 at 04:34 PM. Reason: Added HDL/LDL Split to 'After'

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Holy crap! I can't really say about the rest (oh, Grizz...) but your Trigs are pretty damn amazing!
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

Quote Originally Posted by RitaRose View Post
    Holy crap! I can't really say about the rest (oh, Grizz...) but your Trigs are pretty damn amazing!
    Thanks, the doctor seem surprised too LOL

Issabeau is offline Senior Member
    Wow, really nice. TG at 35, outstanding! This means your VLDL is 7...holy c...
    Your HDL and LDL will all be fluffy, billowy and you have very few if any small dense particles. If LDL is around 160 ish you will never have another cold or ever have cancer. You will pretty much remain disease and infection free, buddy
    Don't worry about the total number...many studies of primitives have been done that have slightly higher by CW standards cholesterol levels and live a very long and healthy life (Portugal coastel dwellers) with 0 cardiovascular disease.
    Particle size is what counts!
    New studies now show that HDL's primary function is fighting infection, NOT cholesterol transport. ( Need to find the link again)
    LDL's primary function is produce, rebuild and repair.
    This new study on portugese primitives showed that total chol. below 200 infectious death rate was high.
    LDL best: 120-160
    HDL best: 40-60
    Trig. best: below 70

Portugese primitives all had a total cholesterol between 200-240.

Quote Originally Posted by Issabeau View Post
    Wow, really nice. TG at 35, outstanding! This means your VLDL is 7...holy c...
    Your HDL and LDL will all be fluffy, billowy and you have very few if any small dense particles. If LDL is around 160 ish you will never have another cold or ever have cancer. You will pretty much remain disease and infection free, buddy
    Don't worry about the total number...many studies of primitives have been done that have slightly higher by CW standards cholesterol levels and live a very long and healthy life (Portugal coastel dwellers) with 0 cardiovascular disease.
    Particle size is what counts!
    New studies now show that HDL's primary function is fighting infection, NOT cholesterol transport. ( Need to find the link again)
    LDL's primary function is produce, rebuild and repair.
    This new study on portugese primitives showed that total chol. below 200 infectious death rate was high.
    LDL best: 120-160
    HDL best: 40-60
    Trig. best: below 70

Portugese primitives all had a total cholesterol between 200-240.
    Thank you kindly for this great feedback! What is VLDL and how did you calculate this?
    Re infections, I think you're right - in the last 6 months I have not felt a hint of cold/flu or anything, despite travelling on subway every day surrounded by coughing sick people lol

It's good to hear about 239 total being fine too Under 240 used to be considered good even by CW.

Thank you again, and I'll post my HDL/LDL split in 2 days just out of curiousity.

Issabeau is offline Senior Member
    What is VLDL and how did you calculate this?
    VLDL is calculated by deviding TG by 5 (from what i remember, it's been too long since i refreshed my memory). So 35:5=7.
    Still searching for that link, I wrote the info down in my little notebook and didn't bother to write down the web page...gah. I'll keep looking.

Primalest is offline Senior Member
    Congratz on the great trigs.
    I'm kind of confused by how low both your LDL and HDL were before primal. I hope you see a nice bump up in the HDL; I think primal foods tend to promote a healthier HDL, although you may also see an LDL spike.

Good luck with that part!

Quote Originally Posted by Primalest View Post
    Congratz on the great trigs.
    I'm kind of confused by how low both your LDL and HDL were before primal. I hope you see a nice bump up in the HDL; I think primal foods tend to promote a healthier HDL, although you may also see an LDL spike.

Good luck with that part!
    Thanks Primalest
    With the 'before primal' results, for 3 years prior to this I ate a largely unprocessed food diet, but it did include CW Health foods like Oats, Wholegrain Bread and Vegetable oils. I had never been overweight or had health issues either. Compared to now, it was a lower fat diet, especially low in animal fats and fatty fish, which explains the low HDL.

I hope you are right with the increase in HDL - This is also my prediction, and I can only assume LDL will be the fluffy variety.

Updated LDL Split... Also, second test shows 232mg total.
    LDL 158
    HDL 67
    Trig 35
    Ratio 3.4

How do these numbers look? Doc said he'd like to see LDL down little, but that my HDL and Trigs were great.
    After I told the Doc what I eat he seemed happy, and especially not being overweight reduced his concerns. Honestly, I don't think my LDL will be the small variety!

Hardwarehank is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Well your HDL to TG ratio is .5 and I believe optimal is less than 2 so yeah you're good to go.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast