Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Can the PB lifestyle help my very thin husband GAIN some weight? page

MarieGray is offline Member

Question Can the PB lifestyle help my very thin husband GAIN some weight?

Shop Now
    My husband is 42. He's 6' 162 pounds.
    He's a smoker. He's NOT super active.
    he LIVES on carbohydrates.

This is what he eats on a typical day:
    12 cups of coffee, black
    (he's a smoker too)
    Breakfast makes him nauseous so between 9 and 10 he'll munch on a donut....or banana bread
    at 10 am break he eats one of two pb&j or turkey sandwiches and some cookies
    at noon he'll eat the other sandwich, more cookies and swiss rolls
    between 2-3 he'll eat another snack (crackers or more of what's listed above)
    at 4:30 he'll eat a piece of fruit and the rest of his cookies.
    He eats what I eat for supper.

Now, if CW is correct, he could/should weigh a lot!!!! I've implored him to read PB, and he might, but until that time, could he expect to gain weight from this process or just be/feel healthier? I really think that he could feel better. He's always tired and out of energy, regardless of what he's done during the day.

Any suggestions? It's struggle enough to keep myself on track, I can't fight with him or my 14 year old son who knows I want him to eat healthy but doesn't always make the best choices.

Thanks folks.

touchdowntodd is offline Senior Member
    some people are born lucky regarding weight, but VERY few are born lucky regarding health ...

his habits (hate to say this) are killing him ... he needs to drop the smoking and coffee (imho entirely and im sure most would agree entirely, some coffee is ok imho but only high quality not the cheap crap) hes more than likely not eating as much as his body wants because of teh smoking and those side effects ....

PB would help him to get in shape, get toned, and get HEALTHY which should be the focus for you and the child ... i know some VERY skinny people with some extremely bad health issues because of smoking, drinking, and more importantly eating style ... skinny doesnt mean he cant get cancer, have heart disease issues, etc ... case in point my sisters husband is about 6'1" 165.. skinny as heck and always has been, his whole family is .. but he drinks too much and eats like shit .. hes developing all sorts of issues with health and even is facing diabetes, and hes 31!

again i wish nothing on him im just being honest

focus on health and you may see him fill out some .. several people on here have with mild excercise added
    started at 310 July 23rd 2011 ... workin and workin!

my journal - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread34980.html

Thanks a bunch for your input. I've nagged him incessantly about smoking and coffee, but i can't force a grown man to make better choices.
    I have two children. One is 14, and one is 10.5 They know I'm a nut about eating healthy, and I work really hard to make sure that both kids know which choices are the right ones. You were a 14 year old boy once, would you have eaten only what your Mommy said was healthful? Probably not. So in short, I'm doing the best that I can by my family, and myself, but at some point they have to make their own choices. Congrats on your progress by the way.
    Marie

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    yes, the PB lifestyle can help your husband. he may not have any weight to lose, but that's not what the primal blueprint is all about. weight loss is a positive byproduct of this lifestyle, but it's really about overall, optimum health. everyone can benefit from this lifestyle...except cows...and pigs...and other things that will soon be in my belly.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    He's most likely "doomed" to always be on the skinny side, but as has been said above he could do a lot for himself by eating better in general.

I don't know what it's like to be married, but I've dated a girl for 3 years now and if she had a decidedly unhealthy habit like smoking I would nag her until she killed me to get me to shut up, or quit her stupid habit. Even if some people are unscathed by it, by which I mean don't get emphysema or cancer, the way it makes you smell is enough for me to be unable to tolerate it.

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    So many factors! He might have internal parasites, a genetic anomaly or something else entirely. Start with a complete blood work-up to check for common signs that might indicate something is off.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MarieGray View Post
    Now, if CW is correct, he could/should weigh a lot!!!!
    Not at all, his genetic predisposition is to be skinny. I worked with a skinny guy that could, and did, eat entire pizzas. We worked at an Italian place where employees could get entire pies for $3 and that was basically his meal whenever we worked a double together, which was at least twice a week. I don't know what his eating habits were like outside of work, but if he had no qualms about eating a whole pizza in one sitting, I assume he wasn't exactly a clean eater outside of work.

He was also a geeky beer brewer, so he didn't strike me as the kind to "work off" the shit he ate.

Your husband shouldn't go primal for the sole purpose of maybe gaining weight, but because his diet is atrocious and ridiculous for a human. I literally don't understand how people can live without eating any real food ever.

Unamused Mouse is offline Senior Member
    He doesn't sound interested in making changes...unless you want a divorce, I'd say don't bother.

jimhensen is offline Senior Member
    I can almost guarantee your husband is not going to completely overhaul his diet just to appease you. Obviously I don't know the man personally but I imagine he is pretty set in his ways.

Thanks everyone for your input.

I do not want him to change for me....this isnt' my first rodeo, I get that you can't change people.
    Having "his foods" in the house is a challenge for me, so this is partially selfish.
    THanks again.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast