Thread: Gout page

CHL
    CHL is offline Junior Member

Gout

I have recently been diagnosed with gout.

I am interested in learning how following the Primal Blueprint may effect my gout flare ups.

I am especially interested in research on the conventional purines trigger versus the more recent fructose connection.

Does anyone have any personal experiences or know the science?

js290 is offline Senior Member
    Lay off the fructose. Gout is caused by uric acid which is a byproduct of fructose metabolism.

Fructose - YouTube

mgrollins is offline Junior Member
    Hi! I'm a newbie. I've suffered with Gout for the last 5 years. I had all the trappings of a great gout candidate (metabolic syndrome, family history of diabetes, high cholesterol, etc). In the last year, I stopped drinking heavily and I started taking once a day allipurinol. This combination stopped my gout outbreaks. Last week I started the 21-day primal 'plan' and everything was great. I also started around 5000mg of Fish oil a day. BAM .... my gout came back with a vengeance, even w/ the allipurinol. The attack (in my knee & ankle) was so bad that I had to dip into my stash of vicodin that I keep for this type of emergency.

SO .... I did some research and found that the type of Fish Oil can adversely affect purines/uric acid levels, causing gout. My supplements were cheap, and made from anchovy, mackerel, and sardine. I tossed these supplements today and bought supplements made from wild caught salmon. I didn't even know that these were available, or I would have bought them earlier!

I am wondering if others have had this experience with Fish Oil supplements and Gout. I would also like to start a dialog with others experiences with gout early in their 'Primal Journey'!

Thanks so much!

Matt

prin1113ci is offline Junior Member

Gout

Gout is a rheumatic disease resulting from deposition of uric acid crystals in tissues and fluids within the body .

mobilt bredbånd priser

StephenHLi is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mgrollins View Post
    Hi! I'm a newbie. I've suffered with Gout for the last 5 years. I had all the trappings of a great gout candidate (metabolic syndrome, family history of diabetes, high cholesterol, etc). In the last year, I stopped drinking heavily and I started taking once a day allipurinol. This combination stopped my gout outbreaks. Last week I started the 21-day primal 'plan' and everything was great. I also started around 5000mg of Fish oil a day. BAM .... my gout came back with a vengeance, even w/ the allipurinol. The attack (in my knee & ankle) was so bad that I had to dip into my stash of vicodin that I keep for this type of emergency.

SO .... I did some research and found that the type of Fish Oil can adversely affect purines/uric acid levels, causing gout. My supplements were cheap, and made from anchovy, mackerel, and sardine. I tossed these supplements today and bought supplements made from wild caught salmon. I didn't even know that these were available, or I would have bought them earlier!

I am wondering if others have had this experience with Fish Oil supplements and Gout. I would also like to start a dialog with others experiences with gout early in their 'Primal Journey'!

Thanks so much!

Matt
    Matt,

It may not have been the fish oil, it may have been you were taking too much?

" A small caution Rapid changes in uric acid levels can trigger a gout attack. This rapid change can be brought about by many factors in addition to mega doses of Vitamin C, including by drug medications that lower uric acid. (It's why doctors prescribe prophylatic medicines such as Colchicine or NSAIDS, along with uric acid lowering medicines). People who are susceptible to gout must consider these rapid changes.

Such a rapid change concerned the authors of one study in the 1970’s who also examined the link between gout and Vitamin C. They recorded that mega doses of Vitamin C (4,000 mg and 8,000 mg daily) reduced uric acid levels significantly, and by more than in the 2005 study. i.e. the same conclusion as Dr. Robert Atkins. However, as far as Vitamin C induced rapid changes in uric acid levels is concerned, this kind of change has not been reported in any study. "

Gout & Vitamin C

I would increase Vitamin C intake from food sources and slowly supplement Vitamin C capsules when appropriate.

Vitamin C for Gout Prevention

I would also increase Kidney function to further assist the body's ability to excrete/expel uric acid. The stronger the Kidney function, the higher uric acid concentration is present in the urine and not in the blood serum.

Regulate water consumption, drink water as main beverage, but do not drink excessively.

Eat more goji berries, cranberries, blue berries, black berries, clams, mussels, oysters, pumpkin, flax, sunflower, black sesame seeds.

Don't forget to use sea salt, but not in excess.

Egerland is offline Senior Member
    Apple cider vinegar, sour cherry juice, and baking soda are all good for gout.

tzulogic is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Dont mix the vinegar with baking soda at once! :P

Btw, I've read that foods containing creatine, especially meats, can contribute to high uric acid. Anyone develop gout after increasing their meat intake heavily?