Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: So, why the heck can't we Canadians get grass-fed butter?! page

patski is offline Senior Member

So, why the heck can't we Canadians get grass-fed butter?!

Shop Now
    It is frustrating as all hell looking for good quality, Primal friendly food stuffs here in Canada. It's hard finding BPA-free ANYTHING...grass-fed butter? Forget it. I'll have to make a trip to Buffalo and buy a shit-ton and not declare ANYTHING.

Maybe a bunch of us Canucks should get together for a Grass-Fed Road Trip...LOL!

But honestly, why can't we get grass-fed butter here? It's ridiculous!

</End Rant>

Unamused Mouse is offline Senior Member
    There's at least one place that I know of, which is in the Etobicoke area (on Dundas St.)...I drive by it every day on the way to/from work. They have 100% grass-fed beef and free-run chicken, among other yummy things.

I'm dying to try KerryGold butter, though...and am thinking of a drive to Buffalo. lol

Also been thinking of ordering a portion of a grass-fed cow but that meat wouldn't be delivered until July or so. Ahem...CHA-CHING!!

Owly is offline Senior Member
    In part because to advertise it as grassfed, the cows have to be eating grass year-round, and in most of Canada, that's just not possible because of our winters. They have to have supplemental feed in the winter. I have a friend who raises beef cattle and gets questions about the same thing, and that's been her explanation (her farm is in northern Alberta).
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Mouse, what store is this? Blossom Organic? I go to the one in Port Credit all the time!!!

Owly, what do they get supplemented with in the winter?

No, it's called Medium Rare...just West of Kipling on Dundas.

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Depends on the farmer. Some will feed soy and wheat primarily, while others will use more alfalfa and other hay, they might get barley, oats, and so on. To be certified organic, farmers have to use organic feed, but even then, it could be organic soy, so if you can, it's good to ask the farmer. Unfortunately, that's harder to do with store-bought butter.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Medium Rare?! I need to go there! ASAP!

I'm not sure how I feel about cows eating grains during the winter :-\

Phone them and talk to them about it...they have some 100% grass-fed strip loins and bavette (that's what I got).

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Heh heh, I'll trade you some cheap butter for some cheap prescription drugs (for my CW boyfriend.)
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

HA!!!

The sad thing is, is that I *am* on prescription painkillers. I was in a car accident last week and my back is a mess

Mouse, I'm going to have to check that place out when I'm not super stoned or in pain.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast