Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: So, why the heck can't we Canadians get grass-fed butter?! page 3

Metric is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    My favourite Ontario dairy is Harmony Organic. home They have video's from the famers etc. Check out the site. I love their products!! I make butter with their cream. YUM!

lemontwisst is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by goinggrok View Post
    As for the cows....I just bought a side of beef....its not grassfed, if I wanted that, I would have to wait till October at least it would have been of the field for 4 months then. But the beef I got was silage fed over the winter with 5% grain. Its so darn good. Closes thing to grassfed we will get around here. But at least I know it wasn't raised with hormones or antibiotics.

As for butter, organic butter is the only thing I have seen around here.
    Vital greens has some awesome heavy cream and milk....local Alberta supplier, its non homogenized. I have been thinking I could make butter out of that, but what a waste of good cream lol.
    Goinggrok, where did you order your beef from? I get mine from TK Ranch that's grass fed and finished and, to my knowledge, it's available year round. I bought a quarter cow and half hog in Dec and still have close to two months' worth of meat left.
    They offer pastured pork and poultry too!

As for the butter, I stock up on Anchor and/or Kerrygold whenever I go out of the country.

CarbDodger is offline Senior Member
    can you not use amazon
    Last edited by CarbDodger; 06-07-2013 at 09:49 AM.
    When I'd had enough of the grain and starched based 'diabetic eating for health' diet (eating for health, my ass!) my weight was 242.5 lbs. On starting primal- 18th April 2013 weight : 238.1.
    27th July 2013. weight after 100 days 136.9 weight lost 101.2lb ; that's 105.6lbs since I stopped the 'diabetic eating for health'
    new journal http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ml#post1264082

patski is offline Senior Member
    Harmony Organic is AWESOME!

And no, we cannot use Amazon to ship butter to us. Customs charges a 300% tax on dairy. I wish I was joking.
    A Post-Primal PrimalPat

Do not allow yourself to become wrapped up in a food 'lifestyle'. That is ego, and you are not that.

Quote Originally Posted by patski View Post
    Harmony Organic is AWESOME!

And no, we cannot use Amazon to ship butter to us. Customs charges a 300% tax on dairy. I wish I was joking.
    Well, maybe not if you only order $20 worth at a time...that's the exemption limit. I just traveled across the line with six friends...which added up to a lot of butter

lotusberries is offline Senior Member
    I've tried to order Kerrygold from Amazon. It will let me put it in my cart but when it comes time to checkout and pay I get a big note that says they cannot ship that item to my country.

cayla29s is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Unamused Mouse View Post
    No, it's called Medium Rare...just West of Kipling on Dundas.
    Oh I know where that is...by the subway station right?

I was getting mine from a farm then they stopped carrying grass fed butter...its freaking expensive too. It was 12.99 1/2 lb. I'm gonna go check out that place....

I get my meat here http://www.brookersmeat.com/
    they also supply to organic grocery stores but I have the meat deliver to my place and I pay cash and I get a bit of a discount. I find that ordering from them directly is way "cheaper"
    Last edited by cayla29s; 06-07-2013 at 05:40 PM.

Warmbear is offline Senior Member
    Try living in Montreal. Here when you ask the butcher for grass fed beef, he looks at you like a monkey doing a math problem then he will ask " why would you want that?" All our beef is grain fed like they are supposed to be. I shit you not I have had this said to me by professional butchers.
    Primal since April 2012 Male 6' 3" SW 345lbs CW 240lbs GW 220lbs and when I get there I am getting a utlikilt. This one http://www.utilikilts.com/company/pr...ilts/workmans/ actually.

Join me at www.paleoplanet.net, where all the cavemen hang out.

Wildrose is online now Senior Member
    According to my dad, who would know... he does agricultural loans with CIBC... it's because of our regulations. Butter can't be imported, period, so Kerrygold is out. And while it's easy to find organic butter absolutely none of it says grass fed. I wish we could import things like butter but it's illegal... did you know there was a 'cheese sting' in Ontario recently? A lot of restaurants were getting cheese over the border. A HORRIBLE CRIME! Ah, good times.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildrose View Post
    According to my dad, who would know... he does agricultural loans with CIBC... it's because of our regulations. Butter can't be imported, period, so Kerrygold is out. And while it's easy to find organic butter absolutely none of it says grass fed. I wish we could import things like butter but it's illegal... did you know there was a 'cheese sting' in Ontario recently? A lot of restaurants were getting cheese over the border. A HORRIBLE CRIME! Ah, good times.
    It can be imported (not illegal) but, like patski said, the import tax on it is up to 300%. Since no one would pay you the $16 you'd need to charge for a $4 half pound of butter just to cover the cost of bringing it in to the country, it's not worth it to anyone to import it.

The regulations in place regarding dairy products were created to protect the interests of Canadian dairy producers. Unfortunately, there are also regulations over weird things like the max milk fat percentage butter can have, which is lower than butter found elsewhere, like Europe.

You also won't find any butter labeled as grass-fed because producers simply can't let their cattle graze year round if the grazing lands are covered in snow. As soon as they supplement the cow's diet with some other kind of feed, they can't say it's grass fed anymore. There's some good info on the Organic Meadow website: http://organicmeadow.com/why_organic/faqs

Yes, I get that it's a bit odd I took the time to find out this much info about goddamn butter

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast