Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: So, why the heck can't we Canadians get grass-fed butter?! page 2

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by patski View Post
    Medium Rare?! I need to go there! ASAP!

I'm not sure how I feel about cows eating grains during the winter :-\
    In a good farm, they will be fed a combination of hay (which is dry grass, really) and likely some grains, but not like the quantity that a purely grain-fed animal from a conventional farm/feedlot setup will eat. In the case of many cattle over winter, the grain is part of the diet, not the whole thing, and they also live on grass during most of the year except when the snow cover is too heavy for them to graze sufficiently. Cattle can digest some grain but not to the level that feedlot cattle are fed--grain-finished animals are given anti-bloat supplements because they're fed so much grain that they can't even digest it with a system that's meant to be able to handle some grains in the mix.
    If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive. --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

hebsie is offline Senior Member
    ...try one of the many places listed on Eat Wild - Canada

Croak is offline Senior Member
    Heh heh, I'll trade you some cheap butter for some cheap prescription drugs (for my CW boyfriend.)
    They're not cheap up here if you live here.

Same as Australia. I asked a few companies and they gave me a pretty vague answer about how they're cows are fed grass most of the year but not all.

slowcooker is offline Senior Member
    Organic Meadow butter is about as close to grass fed as you can find (still pasteurized) around here anyway.
    Kerrygold cheese is available all over, some specialty stores may carry the butter.

It took me a long time but i have access to grass fed milk, cream and butter now

patski is offline Senior Member
    Slowcooker, where do you live? What/who is your source?

Robin Richardson is offline Junior Member
    I can get Organic Meadows butter in BC at many locations. here's what they have to say about the source of their butter.

Organic Meadow is a Co-operative with each of our small family-run farms (the herd sizes range in size from 10 to 80 cows) being independently owned and operated. What happens on each farm is slightly different, depending on the cow breed, the soil type, the amount of land they have etc.

Being certified organic, our producers must abide by the organic rules which include that the cows eat primarily grass - so it would apply to all of the co-ops farms.

Throughout the warm months they are out to pasture between April and November eating what they graze. In general the cows are fed approx. 95-100% grass because its readily available.

In summer and fall our farmers harvest hay to store and feed the cows during the winter months when the cows are not on pasture. During this time they are also fed a small percentage of grains such as alfalfa, peas, oats, soybeans and corn. In winter the amount of grass would be about 70-85% depending on the farm and the quantity of the hay that they were able to bring in from their fields.

All of their feed must be 100% certified organic, non GMO and must not contain any animal byproducts.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    It's the LAW. The only raw dairy allowed to be legally sold in Canada is raw hard cheese. Well, that's the only good thing that came from Quebec's ever so special.

And, yeah, I buy Organic Meadow as well for my folks. Don't eat butter myself.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

goinggrok is offline Senior Member
    As for the cows....I just bought a side of beef....its not grassfed, if I wanted that, I would have to wait till October at least it would have been of the field for 4 months then. But the beef I got was silage fed over the winter with 5% grain. Its so darn good. Closes thing to grassfed we will get around here. But at least I know it wasn't raised with hormones or antibiotics.

As for butter, organic butter is the only thing I have seen around here.
    Vital greens has some awesome heavy cream and milk....local Alberta supplier, its non homogenized. I have been thinking I could make butter out of that, but what a waste of good cream lol.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Yep, I now buy Vital Greens whenever i can for my folks' milk. The only non homogenized stuff in town!
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast