Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to Primal - Few Food Questions page

kathy wright Guest

Primal Fuel

SUGARS - if we are to eliminate all sugars (including artificial) what would be acceptable for my coffee - just a tiny bit of organic regular sugar or cane sugar?

CREAM FOR COFFEE - is this also called "heavy whipping cream"?

EZEKIAL HAMBURGER BUNS - i assume these are a no even though they are considered a "complete protein"?

NeoPaleo is offline Junior Member

If you want to be "strict paleo":

1. No sugar allowed. Nothing artificial allowed.

2. No dairy allowed.

3. No grains allowed.

However, "primal" seems to be "loose paleo". And, I think, would say:

1. No sugar allowed. Nothing artificial allowed.

2. Dairy okay in moderation - try to get as natural as possible (organic, perhaps unpasteurized if you have access to it)

3. No grains allowed.

But "primal" is also something that is meant to be doable without being torture, so if your REALLY NEED coffee, and the only way you can drink it is with something sweet in it, then go ahead, but just realize it's not "optimal" (whatever that is).

As far as sprouted grains (like Ezekiel bread) - they may not have as damaging effects as "regular" grains, but they're still a high-carb food, so just be aware of that. Being a complete protein or not makes no difference.

But basically, it makes no difference what's "allowed" or "banned" - nobody is going to check-up on you. Just know WHY certain things are non-paleo or non-primal, and make up your own mind if you want to eat them or not.

Conan Guest

Mark had a post on artificial sweeteners and said it is best to avoid them but he didn't outlaw them outright or argue that they were really bad for you. Search around the site and you can find it. As far as creamer, I use it regularly just avoid the powdered, non-dairy, and reduced fat versions. Get plain old half and half or heavy cream. You are only using a couple of ounces / day so it shouldn't affect your results.

Ditch the ezekial bread. You don't need it.

grandma is offline Member

well said Neo.

It's grandma, but you can call me sir.

sammylou is offline Junior Member

i believe even mark takes a bit of real sugar in his coffee each morning. we all decide what is right for us based on knowledge and choice. pretty much agree with neopaleo's take on it.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member

I have to admit, I'm a stevia fan. I like it in my tea and coffee, and even went so far as to buy an actual stevia plant. Those leaves are way sweeter than I expected!

I use a bit of heavy cream in my coffee or tea occasionally as a treat (same with the stevia), but have gotten accustomed to drinking both plain. Adding the extras makes it extra special.

Tarlach is offline Member

+1 Neo.

I'm one of those strict paleo types, but each to their own right?

The "Seven Deadly Sins"

Grains (wheat/rice/oats etc) . . . . . Dairy (milk/yogurt/butter/cheese etc) . . . . . Nightshades (peppers/tomato/eggplant etc)
    Tubers (potato/arrowroot etc) . . . Modernly palatable (cashews/olives etc) . . . Refined foods (salt/sugars etc )
    Legumes (soy/beans/peas etc)

kathy wright Guest

Thanks to all of you for the feedback! I do remember Mark stating he uses a pinch of sugar in his coffee which I will do. I will definitely not give up my 1 cup coffee each morning.

Ezekial buns - no problem. I just finished my last one anyway.

Dairy - I will still eat my Greek yogurt & some cheese in moderation.

grandma is offline Member

once you go black you will never go back.

It's grandma, but you can call me sir.

Yummy Guest

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

hehe! grandma you are too funny. Love the name.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast