Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why only sprint every 7-10 days? page 3

simpstr is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Pulled hamstrings! OUCH!
    Health is Wealth!

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyq View Post
    No sir, it seems like you did not read and/or comprehend the links provided.

For example the bottom link partially states:

"No time to exercise" is no excuse

by Jane Christmas

September 19, 2006

Bookmark and Share This Page

Those who maintain that the busy pace of life offers no time to exercise have just run out of another excuse, unless of course they can't spare three minutes to exercise.

The "catch" is that the exercise consists of short bursts of intense effort separated by a few minutes of recovery, meaning a single training session lasts about 20 minutes. However, a new study published in the Journal of Physiology shows that performing THREE OF THOSE SESSIONS EACH WEEK (my caps) provides the same benefits as that achieved by up to two hours of daily moderate exercise....
    Actually I read research all the time. Thanks for providing all caps for my reading comprehension. They only tested one condition - three times per week - against daily exercise. Hence the study has nothing to say about once a week versus three times per week. In other words, it doesn't answer the question of whether once a week or three times per week is best. But thank you for your condescension.

The study description: Sixteen young men performed six training sessions over two weeks. Eight subjects performed between four and six 30-second bursts of "all out" cycling separated by four minutes of recovery during each training session. The other eight subjects performed 90 to 120 minutes of continuous moderate-intensity cycling.

Total training time commitment, including recovery, was 2.5 hours in the sprint group, whereas the endurance group performed 10.5 hours of total exercise over two weeks. Both groups showed similar improvements in exercise performance and the muscles ability to resist fatigue.

8 subjects per group, 6 total treatment sessions. This is not exactly high-power research.
    Last edited by tfarny; 01-30-2012 at 04:16 PM.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

tim_1522 is offline Senior Member
    MORE isn't always BETTER!!

Your body needs to heal/rest/recover. If you don't let it you're just wasting your time tearing down again without the benefit that comes from letting it build itself back up.

That being said, there ARE subtle differences in individuals. Are there people that *could* do sprints (and possibly have some small benefit) 3x a week vs 1x a week? Probably. But are most people (especially those new to/just adopting a PB philosophy) seem to do best with it 1x a week while filling in all the other parts of the PBF regimen around it? Again, probably.

And, don't forget to most importantly listen to your body. Periods of high energy -- maybe throw in a second sprint session that week. Feeling like crap and run down? Maybe skip the sprints that week. Give it a couple of months and the average will probably be about once a week...

mark1971 is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tim_1522 View Post
    don't forget to most importantly listen to your body. Periods of high energy -- maybe throw in a second sprint session that week. Feeling like crap and run down? Maybe skip the sprints that week. Give it a couple of months and the average will probably be about once a week...
    Exactly this.....
    I find 2-3 strength sessions a week, convict conditioning so all bodyweight, sprinting once a week and lots of walking does me fine.
    Some weeks I'm knackered from work and skip a session or 2, some weeks I get an impromptu extra sprint in playing with the dog.
    Seems to be working for me so far....

johnnyq is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    Actually I read research all the time. Thanks for providing all caps for my reading comprehension. They only tested one condition - three times per week - against daily exercise. Hence the study has nothing to say about once a week versus three times per week. In other words, it doesn't answer the question of whether once a week or three times per week is best. But thank you for your condescension.

The study description: Sixteen young men performed six training sessions over two weeks. Eight subjects performed between four and six 30-second bursts of "all out" cycling separated by four minutes of recovery during each training session. The other eight subjects performed 90 to 120 minutes of continuous moderate-intensity cycling.

Total training time commitment, including recovery, was 2.5 hours in the sprint group, whereas the endurance group performed 10.5 hours of total exercise over two weeks. Both groups showed similar improvements in exercise performance and the muscles ability to resist fatigue.

8 subjects per group, 6 total treatment sessions. This is not exactly high-power research.
    I'm my original post I merely stated what the McMasters University researchers recommended based on their study.

In your original response you stated "That entire study involved 6 training sessions over 14 days - and it wasn't even about how often to sprint, it was about whether submaximal interval training would produce similar benefits to max effort interval training." clearly dismissing McMasters' exercise recommendations.

Now you dismiss the peer reviewed research, yet I CANNOT FIND YOUR DISPUTE TO THESE PEER REVIEWED PAPERS ANYWHERE, except on this board.

Where is your official challenge to the research? Let's see you bury for eternity McMasters exercise recommendations. Who knows, you might win the medicine Nobel Prize.
    Last edited by johnnyq; 01-31-2012 at 10:23 AM.

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyq View Post
    I'm my original post I merely stated what the McMasters University researchers recommended based on their study.

In your original response you stated "That entire study involved 6 training sessions over 14 days - and it wasn't even about how often to sprint, it was about whether submaximal interval training would produce similar benefits to max effort interval training." clearly dismissing McMasters' exercise recommendations.

Now you dismiss the peer reviewed research, yet I CANNOT FIND YOUR DISPUTE TO THESE PEER REVIEWED PAPERS ANYWHERE, except on this board.

Where is your official challenge to the research? Let's see you bury for eternity McMasters exercise recommendations. Who knows, you might win the medicine Nobel Prize.
    I didn't dismiss the research, I said that you misunderstood the point of the original research, which was to compare 3xweek interval training against daily cardio. Since they did not compare 3xweek interval training against 1xweek interval training, the study was irrelevant to this thread, which was asking whether 1xweek is really the best. Finally I said that a study with 8 subjects per treatment condition and a two-week treatment duration was pretty weak.

I actually can't tell if you're trolling me at this point or just an idiot. It doesn't really matter to me, though. Have a good day, sir.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Misabi is online now Senior Member
    I didn't dismiss the research, I said that you misunderstood the point of the original research, which was to compare 3xweek interval training against daily cardio. Since they did not compare 3xweek interval training against 1xweek interval training, the study was irrelevant to this thread, which was asking whether 1xweek is really the best. Finally I said that a study with 8 subjects per treatment condition and a two-week treatment duration was pretty weak.
    Also, I'm guessing that the study participants weren't doing to LHT sessions per week (obviously I haven't read the research).
    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

johnnyq is offline Junior Member

Talking

I actually can't tell if you're trolling me at this point or just an idiot. It doesn't really matter to me, though. Have a good day, sir.
    Whether or not I misunderstood the research was never an issue. For the umpteenth time, I merely repeated the research weekly recommendations of three times a week sprint, totally relevant, since the thread is called WHY ONLY SPRINT EVERY 7-10 DAYS (my caps since evidently you have serious comprehension problems).

I never addressed that mumble jumble you posted in response to my post which was totally irrelevant and you cannot even backup with solid evidence.

If you think I'm a troll or just an idiot, it merely confirms my suspicion that you have an IQ at or below room temperature.

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    johnnyq, go back and read all the posts carefully. The study talks about comparison between one type of exercise frequency (a) and a second frequency of exercise (b). You are asking about the difference between exercise (a) and a third type of interval (c) not explored in that study. You are trying to derive meaning from an equation that did not include the necessary components. Does that make sense to you?

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

ChefGrok is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post
    Diminishing returns.
    Quote Originally Posted by primalrob View Post
    you can certainly sprint more than once per week, but like UK Guy said, don't let that detract from your other workouts and recovery. this is actually a great fat loss tool. 3 times though...i don't know. if your sprinting correctly (crazy, all-out effort) and lifting things at least twice a week, and moving slowly, you're going to be way too wiped for a third sprint workout.
    It's all about recovery and how you feel that day. Listen to what your body is telling you, it'll tell you when it's ready or not.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast